Desktops forum

General discussion

Refurbished on Dell.com, good or bad idea?

by MandaD070 / August 8, 2005 4:57 AM PDT

I found a refurbished dell dimension 9100 w/ everything I want and quite a bit more for quite a bit less than the non-refurbished one I was building on their site. Is buying one of their refurbs a terrible idea? Anyone else purchased a manufacturer refurb? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Refurbished on Dell.com, good or bad idea?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Refurbished on Dell.com, good or bad idea?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Refurbished on Dell.com, good or bad idea?
by jcrobso / August 8, 2005 5:55 AM PDT

Well I would compaire specs and price with an Emachine or a Compact before buying.
What kind of warrenty will they give you?? As good as a new one??? John

Collapse -
Same warranty as new, tons of extras
by MandaD070 / August 8, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

I chose the 2 yr. warranty, it has the xp media center, pent. d 820 dual core 2.8ghz (I really want the dual core), 1gb ddr2 sdram, 250 gb hard drive, 128mb ati radeon, dual dvd-rom/dvdrw dbl. layer drive, microsoft office, antivirus pkg. dual tv tuner, and i could go on! For $1004...what do you think?

Collapse -
Same warranty as new, tons of extras
by jcrobso / August 8, 2005 6:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
So would the gateway 835 be a better option?
by MandaD070 / August 8, 2005 6:42 AM PDT

I checked out the link, and it looks good too, and well within my budget. I definitely have to buy an already assembled unit (I consider myself somewhat computer savvy, but not enough to have one built). So would the Gateway be a better option? just in gateway vs. dell?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) New is always better...
by jrmar07 / August 8, 2005 7:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
New is always not better...
by computersshopper / September 17, 2005 2:28 PM PDT

New equipments are never opened, never used products directly from the manufacturer, the end user is the first person to use that particular equipment.

Refurbished,equipment, which has usually been cleaned & tested, repaired if needed and carries with retailer warranty.

www.computersshopper.com

Collapse -
New vs Refurbished
by lawrence1l / April 5, 2010 5:12 AM PDT

I must confess, whether new, used, or refurbished, I have become more of a fan of local. I spent $1000 + on a new machine on e-bay, and lost it all on an out of state purchase. If it had been local, or close, I could have easily gone over and gotten some satisfaction.

Collapse -
(I consider myself somewhat computer savvy
by jcrobso / August 8, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Good idea...but
by TheLostTruckDriver / January 5, 2009 7:29 PM PST

Make sure you know what you are getting. I saw a great deal on a laptop that had the NVidia 8600M GT in it. Now the same ones are there trying to trick you into 7400M saying it's 256MB as if that's the only thing you need to think about for graphics. I already have a 7000 series and they are slow for games.
The outlet is a place to watch, but not any better than their regular site. I just built a lap ($650 with 3Gigs RAM NVidia 8400GS, 250G HD) that blows everything they have in refurb in the $800 range away.
So it looks like the outlet is also another way to move old crap and make you think you are getting a deal when you aren't.

Collapse -
I don't see a problem, but always read the sales contract
by Willy / August 8, 2005 8:59 AM PDT

Most refurbed systems are nothing more than returned systems that custonmers didn't want for wahtever reason. In most cases not from damage but unable rectify some glitch beyond them. Then again damaged or screwed-up returned systems do get the attention they need and back for sale as refurbed. The systems aren't new but hardly broken in if used beyond 30-days. For all practical reasons, you still have to read the "fine print" to see what warranty you do have and just how its handled. Some vendors lessen warraty periods and others juice-up the goodies in order to sell, which is better than typical system. The best deal is lower cost or added value for the buck, so I wouldn't discount them on a one-for-one basis. If you plan to buy several or batch, see if even a better deal can be had.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Refirbished / Lot 99
by christopher_kurz / August 11, 2005 11:59 PM PDT

Yes, I think some of the reconditioned compters are just fine. I've bought one from Gateway and Dell in the past and both were reconditioned computer. I think Gateway calls their "Lot 99.""

I had a lengthy discussion with Dell and Gateway reps about this. One of them explained it this way. There are several conditions a system may be returned.

* Customer may not be familar with the use of the computer, gets frustrated and return the computer back.

* There may be a defective parts or some cosmetic damages to the equipment

* The system may simply be delivered to the wrong address or was unclaimed when shipped.

Even if the computer has no "defective" parts and is working properly to spec, by law - the company cannot take these system and turn it around selling as "new". So they would take the system out of their boxes, run their diagnosis, do a visual check of the blemishes, etc... and replace what's cost effective to do as necessary.

If you dont mind having a few "dings" or cracks, its a great way to save $100 - $500 off the retail price. I've bought a 21" "reconditioned" monitor back in 1999 for only $250 plus shipping. It has minor cracks in the plastic housing which I was able to cover up with a cartoon sticker. At that time, brand new 21" monitors were selling for $800 or more.

In either case - if you are covered by a warranty and the company you're buying from has good support/customer service - you're just as good buying used.

I still have my 21" inch monitor. Still working beautifully! Happy

Collapse -
The real risk in this decision is the company
by sloanhoo / August 13, 2005 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Refirbished / Lot 99

I've bought a lot of computers from several vendors with my own money over the years, and here's what I've found:

New computers are sold with factory-level quality control. A small number will have defects, but not many. Some defects don't show up in cursory quality control procedures but will when usage starts for real.

When a company takes a computer back for any reason and wants to resell it, it is in their best interest to make sure it doesn't come back again, so refurb process usually involves more stringent testing than the computer already received, AFTER the known flaw is fixed. This is a good thing. Chances of getting a bad one after all this testing are low. If you do get a bad refurb, you depend on the company.

Whether you're buying a new or refurb desktop or laptop, the most important factor is the customer service orientation of the company standing behind the equipment. Buying a refurb from a bad (poor customer satisfaction rating) seller is way riskier than buying a refurb from a good seller. The same applies to a new computer. Demand more!

Collapse -
Price matter.
by computersshopper / September 17, 2005 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Refirbished / Lot 99

I think another aspect of people are intereseted for refirbished are the price factors,If you're not doing machine intensive tasks such as graphics rendering or digital video work then a new machine is extremely expensive and overkill.

Collapse -
Depends upon the source.
by computersshopper / September 17, 2005 3:38 PM PDT

I think that depends upon the sources from usually the refurbished equipments dealing companies are buying, if they purchase from reputed and reliable sources like government departments and large corporate organizations. I think they should be able to convince the customers to be confident of quality brand computers and peripherals that should rigorously tasted as per the specific need of the end users.

Collapse -
Bought a refurbished Dell
by Bubba T / August 11, 2005 10:34 PM PDT

I bought a refurbished Dell 3 years ago. Haven't had any problems with it and saved almost $400 compared to an new system. Plus Dell gave me the same warranty as a new system.

Collapse -
Refurbished on Dell.com
by rosebud55 / August 11, 2005 10:52 PM PDT

I have purchased refurbished from Dell in the past, WITH GREAT SUCCESS! The computer, as well as the warranty, have been super. I am pleased with the fact that I could save as much as I did. In fact, they told me, when I purchased the computer, that it had never been out of the factory: had been ordered by a customer, and cancelled prior to shipment.

"Try it! You'll like it!"

Collapse -
Refurbished on Dell.com
by suni22222 / August 11, 2005 10:57 PM PDT

I purchased a refurbished computer from Tiger.com in Miami about 2 years ago. It has been great. Tons of memory, DVD Player, CD Burner, XP Professional, etc. It was loaded with interesting software. Works great, and I have never regretted the purchase.
I may have been just very lucky for I have heard bad stories. But, there was a warranty on mine and I had some time to evaluate. I suggest if you do buy a refurbished PC you buy it from a reliable dealer. Check around. Also, refurbished is good for teens and small kids to use. Save the new one for the adults.

Collapse -
Refurbished Dell
by Chet / August 11, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

I purchased my refurbished dell 4600 in August of 2003.
I run it daily for writing (wordPerfect & Word), playing games, receiving and sending email messages, searching the int4ernet for and purchasing travel arangements. I run XP Pro and keep it updated. So far I have had no problems in two years of use of the machine using it daily. I look at a company refurbished machine as one which has been tested and either returned or pulled back for further testing and then re-tested before being sold again. I have always felt that the copmpany refurbished machines have gone through a more complete testing process than those off the assembly line. Prior to owning this one I used an IBM refurbished machine for 6 years. I had no problems with it until lightning hit my system and fried the interior.
I will look at dompany refurbished machines again when I need to upgrade or replace my current machine.

Collapse -
(NT) Refurbished on Dell.com, good or bad idea?
by hchmeyer / August 11, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

Have no experience with Dell, but have purchased 2 HP's over the years. As long as it comes with 30-90 days warranty or return privileges, I think it's a safe way to save hundreds of $$.
First HP was at Computer City, it was a P200 (yes, it was a while back). PC was troublesome from the day I brought it home, but after reimaging the HD with the included CD, everything was fine for years.
Second PC was purchased from HP online, about 4 months ago. A media center M1180N at around $850 was at least $300-400 less than the retail models. Biggest differences were 30 day warranty and no lightscribe dual layer dvd writer (came with standard dual layer dvd writer). Other than the wireless mouse failing (replaced under warranty), it has been trouble free.

Collapse -
Refurbs Rule!
by MicahW / August 12, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

Ok, goofy subject title. I don?t have any experience with Dell but I have purchased several refurbished computers from Tiger Direct and have found them all to work as good as a brand new ?untouched? machines. I would assume that since Dell builds computers they would be capable of refurbishing them as well. The best part is you can save a nice chunk of change, especially if you are purchasing several systems. Good luck!

Collapse -
Buying a Refurbished Computer
by joehop / August 12, 2005 12:55 AM PDT

I bought a refurbished eMac from the Mac Store on line and saved over $150 over the price of a new one. It's been almost a year, and not one bit of trouble. Just like a new one! I would recommend this path to anyone.

Collapse -
Refurbished computers market.
by computersshopper / September 15, 2005 4:39 PM PDT

I think we're going to see used equipment becoming a bigger part of the overall market.Those professionally refurbished companies also even offering extended warranty option on the products they sell for refurbished items, this is really good thing to encourage those buyers.

www.computersshopper.com

Collapse -
Refurb laptops
by J Van Dam / August 12, 2005 1:27 AM PDT

Bought an S model sony REFURBISHED. TOP OF THE LINE with 770 processor. No problems and saved over about 1500.00 off retail and got free leather case. Lost one year warranty(only get 90 days plus 10 to change your mind.) I would have and did buy the service contract for four years with accidental coverage any way so only made nine months difference. Expensive computer but it is immaculate, shows NO signs of wear of use and works very nicely. What a great display. I did think it might have been a bit faster but maybe it is just my expectations were sky high. I really like it. Do not usually like refurb stuff but I could not have afforded this without the reduction in price....think the Sony people told the truth when they said the previous owner did not like the size of the screen and immedicately returned it.

Collapse -
Refurbished eMachines AMD Athlon
by metaluna / August 12, 2005 1:43 AM PDT

I took a chance and I'm so glad I did. I had a perfectly good HP Celeron but wanted a faster processor. The price was (with a few rebates) only $250! 80 gb HD, CD-RW, 6 port USB and I've added a DVD-RW for cheap too. Just be sure to buy the extended warranty. I got an extra 2 yr warranty because my PC manufacturer's was only 3 months. I highly recommend refurbished to save lots of money - just extend the warranty! So why are they refurbished - what could have gone wrong for the previous owner? Most likely the HD, which gets replaced.

Collapse -
Refurbished Good or bad?
by jeffchele / August 12, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

I have bought and owned two refurbished computers and have had no problems with them other than the usual problems with any computer. It would be hard if not impossible to tell if the problems occured due to it being a refurbished computer. That is the problem, if you buy a refurbished coputer, how can anyone say it is bad due to the refurbish or if it just went bad because they go bad. I think that people have a bad concept of refursbished anything. If it was used and it got refurbished, it would depend on what is done during the workover to sell it again. I have bought my computers from a local Computer Renaisance and would recommend this to anyone, in fact I have, on a web site I write for. A refurbished computer is only as good as the support and tech help you get after you buy it. That, I think is the bigger question, does the computer come with any kind of warranty or support after you buy it? And the better question what does that support entail? Do they send the computer off to some facility across the country or does the shop or store you bought it at have techs to do all the work in the store? That is what you want when it comes time to get a computer and you need it fixed, locally and you don't have to worry about having it mailed to get it fixed. I feel that a refurbished computer is fine if it comes along with good support and a warranty, but make it a local one, or you might have your computer taking a trip just to get some silly part replaced that could be done faster and cheaper here.

Collapse -
Refurbished Good or Bad?
by computersshopper / September 17, 2005 2:35 PM PDT

If it was used and it got refurbished that means it usually reworked,rigorous tested, cleaned and repaired, hence I think the refurbished is a good ideas overall it is affordable also.

www.computersshopper.com

Collapse -
reconditioned Dell I have one
by katyp / August 12, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

I got a reconditioned Dell and have always had problems with it. It wasn't done by Dell so that's prolly the problem.

If I get too many things going at once, it freezes up and the only way out is to reboot. Sometimes it just goes black and restarts on it's own.

Of course it only does it when I am doing something important. If I'm reading emails, chatting on MSN and Yahoo at the same time, it's going to shut down. Or in the middle of a d/l. Buh bye.

I'll be soooooooo happy when I can afford a new one (Compaq/HP) but never again a Dell. No gateway either.

Collapse -
Giving credit where it is due: 2 Dells, 8 yrs, 0 Problems
by HiF|yer / August 12, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

I went shopping for a laptop in 1997 and found the prices were very high. A friend told me to try the Dell refurbs. There was a great selection, free shipping, and full warranty. I saved $600 over the same model new, and it still runs great.

As a satisfied customer I bought a Dimension 8200 desktop, refurbished, in 2002. A total gem! Saved at least $800...it came loaded with XP pro, Office Pro, cd r/w, 40G hd, clock speed 2.1, and lots more. I wanted more than the 256 memory--it is not inexpensive to add to the DRAM on this machine as it is a Dell-only product, but that has not been a problem, yet.

It too came with free shipping and standard in-home warranty. Oh, and no interest financing if you want to make payments.

I will probably buy my next machine the same way. Good luck!

Collapse -
Refurbs are good...but...
by wrcopsey / August 12, 2005 3:25 AM PDT

My ex-girlfriend bought one and got it much cheaper than a new version. It started crashing within the first few minutes of boot-up. I downloaded and ran the diagnostics and found out one of the RAM chips was bad. So she called them up with the error code, they shipped a new chip (I think she got it the next day) and she sent the old one back.

So, long story short, there might be a slightly larger possibility (than with a new one) that you'll have some problem with the computer when it arrives, but they're very good about fixing it.

Collapse -
Refurbished Dell Laptop - not good
by pdeering / August 12, 2005 3:34 AM PDT

I did not have a good experience with my refurbished Dell laptop. One day, before I'd had it a year, smoke started pouring from it. The motherboard had to be replaced - warranty covered it, and service was fast. Dell would not renew the service contract on it because I contacted them shortly after the 1-year warranty had expired. I had to replace the power supply. When the motherboard started to go bad again, I gave up and bought a Mac powerbook. It's been fabulous! I'll never buy a refurbished computer again. It's not worth the hassle and unreliability.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.