TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Refresh Rates - 60Hz versus 120Hz

by pmgf39 / July 15, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

I'm looking at the Samsung LNT5265, but am concered about the 60Hz refresh rate. I've read the new 71/81 series will have a 120Hz refresh rate. Is this worth waiting for, or should I take the plunge now? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Refresh Rates - 60Hz versus 120Hz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Refresh Rates - 60Hz versus 120Hz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by JermTOOL / July 15, 2007 12:54 AM PDT

You should definitely wait for it if you plan on watching video information with a lot of motion or fast action (gaming, sports, movies). I have the 40" Samsung of the 66 series (only 60hz) and I was contemplating a Sharp 46" 82U series because of the 120hz. I ultimately decided upon the Samsung only because the 46" Sharp was way to big for my bedroom. Anyway, I would say wait for it because I'm betting you'll use it for sports and so motion blur and other screen artifacts will be even more noticeable in a 52" sized LCD screen. I saw a demo for the Sharp 92U series where the screen was split into 2 sides, one side 60hz, the other 120hz, it was a tremendous difference. Anyway hope this helped.

PS. I mentioned them, you should definitely factor in the Sharp 52" screens, the 82U and their 92U sets, they're amazing (do not factor in the 62U series haha). Their black levels are superior to the Samsung's by a long shot.

Collapse -
NO, NO, dont do the Sharp
by studdad / July 15, 2007 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends

Sharp 92u is a beautiful TV, if you get one without bands. Go to the AVS forum and look at all the problems this TV is having. I would check out the Toshiba LX177 series that just shipped, or wait for the Samsung 71 series coming in August.

Collapse -
Yes, Yes, do the Sharp
by kmrice2803 / January 18, 2008 3:31 AM PST

I recently purchased the Sharp 46D92U -- it's beautiful. This whole banding thing has gotten out of control. There was a problem early-on with banding on a small percentage of the 62U, 82U, and 92U units. That issue is history...let's leave it there, shall we?

Collapse -
Does not depend
by sirpaul1 / April 27, 2009 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Depends

The 120hz has nothing to do with fast motion. It only affects the side pixels when slow panning 24fps movies. Sports is broadcast as 60hz video, so 120hz would have no noticeable effect until this changes. The 120hz format also has minor glitches. (still using 3:2 pulldown). I would recommend that if you are going to purchase a TV now, save your money and get a 60hz, at least till the next year or two when the new models come out and see if they up the processing speed and add 5:5 pulldown. Refresh times are vastly more important for fast motion.

Collapse -
In theory
by HTHMAN / July 15, 2007 2:43 AM PDT

The 120 Hz refresh rate should be better, but it depends on what you are watching.

If you are watching a DVD that is 30 fps, the 60 Hz set will display that same frame 2x per second and the 120 Hz set will display the same frame 4x per second, but it is the same frame and you probably will see no difference. If you are watching a 24 fps film to DVD, the math changes and with all that 2:3 or 3:2 pulldown stuff factored in, the 120 Hz set should make the movie a little smoother. If you are never fed anything faster than 60 fps, either should be just fine.

Of course, refresh rate is not the only factor to consider. If an LCD set does not have a very fast response time, in essence the set may refresh faster than the pixils can handle.

If you can not see the difference on two different sets side-by-side, don't worry about it.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / July 15, 2007 10:54 AM PDT

LN-T5265F LCD, you will be very pleased with your choice. Shop around a bit on the price; a good deal will make the purchase that much sweeter.

Good shopping,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.