Sony

General discussion

refresh rate for a sony KDL-32SL130 HDTV?

by garybuyit / November 27, 2010 6:25 AM PST

Bought this TV in 2007, and it has a great HDTV picture. Does anyone know what the screen refresh rate is? The manual does not show it.
Looking for a newer, larger tv and want to compare with this one for picture quality.
Thank you,
Garybuyit

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: refresh rate for a sony KDL-32SL130 HDTV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: refresh rate for a sony KDL-32SL130 HDTV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In the US? It's likely to be 60 Hz.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 8:48 AM PST

But there is a debate about refresh rate and if that is any measure of quality. Also the numbers are not believable in most cases. Here's the run down. The number of milliseconds is a simple thing. 60 Hz should have us looking at about 1/60second for a normal pixel from full on to half way off AT TEMPERATURE. That number is -> 16.6 mSec <-

For 120 Hz it's 8.33 and so on. The math is important here. If it was too fast it might flicker, too slow and it may smear.

There's more but I hope this helps you start the path without tying quality to this almost meaningless number.
Bob

Collapse -
refresh rate
by garybuyit / November 27, 2010 10:59 AM PST

I know that it is more tied to "smearing", or "ghosting" in fast action scenes. Have never seen any ghosting or smearing in the 3 years I've owned this set. Cnet techs say you can hardly notice the difference between 60 HZ and 120 HZ, or even 240 HZ, unless you're watching a test pattern. So I don't plan on spending the extra $200 and up to get a 120HZ refresh rate . . . but I sure wanted to know if my set is 60HZ or higher.
Interestingly, although I can't find it in the manual now, I seem to remember a 9ms response rate from somewhere . . . which might relate to your example of 8.33 = 120 HZ . . . but don't even know if it was when I was researching this set? Or maybe a computer monitor?
Thanks for your information.
Gary

Collapse -
After you sit down and think it over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: refresh rate

The pixel decay in mS is welded to the refresh rate. Today's tech can't alter that so it's easy to figure out why this is so. However I find those that haven't worked it out and are thinking about the old CRT days.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.