Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

reformat partitioned usb memory stick

by misandry / June 4, 2010 12:42 AM PDT

i accidentally deleted the little program thing that hid the secret partition on my USB, so i can't access the files. I don't care about this though. I want to reformat my memory stick so that i have full access to the whole 2gbs, and not just the one gig of the open side of the partition. (leaving one gig on the inaccessible side). I've tried reformatting the usual way, but only the accessible side gets formatted. how do i completely wipe the entire drive so that i can get access to a whole 2gbs of (blank) space?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reformat partitioned usb memory stick
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reformat partitioned usb memory stick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the HP USB Stick Formatter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2010 12:49 AM PDT

Last time I used google to find it. I think the words are ...

Collapse -
only formats one side of partition
by misandry / June 4, 2010 1:12 AM PDT

This doesn't solve my problem
- The memory stick is 2GB
- I can only access 1GB because of the secure partition thing
- The software key that enabled me to access the secure 1GB has been deleted
- All the reformat things I have tried just reformat the 1GB side
- I want to totally wipe the drive so that I can have the full 2GB back
- I know this will be blank space. this is what i want.

Collapse -
I'm unsure if you used this tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2010 1:21 AM PDT

I was able to reclaim the full use of partitioned sticks with this.

Let's say the HP format didn't work for you. Let's get out the next POWER TOOL (emphasis mine) called GPARTED. See google. It's easy to use and what I use for partition work when the Windows Partition Manager won't do.

Collapse -
I'm sure i used this tool :)
by misandry / June 4, 2010 8:32 PM PDT

i think that perhaps the reason it didn't work is because the partition is a security thing and it's hidden??? anyway, i tried and nothing so far has recognized the full 2gbs that i know are there.....
I'll try gparted now and see how that goes...

Collapse -
gpart too complicated
by misandry / June 4, 2010 9:14 PM PDT

ok so i recon you are right that gpart will do the job for me. only problem is it's way to technical for me and i haven't a clue how to go about things. The partition i want wiped is on memory stick not hard drive... what now?

Collapse -
GPARTED is not complicated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2010 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: gpart too complicated

It's actually easier than the Windows Partitioning tool. And both use the mouse.

Let's get a picture of GPARTED running.

Not to offend you but where it has Partition, Delete is too technical? If so I fear that buying a new stick is best.

Collapse -
gpart problem
by misandry / June 5, 2010 7:30 AM PDT

heh heh yeah all this trouble for a memory stick.

I downloaded what i thought was gpart but it was a big iso, and then when i virtual mounted it i still didn't get anywhere.

so i haven't actually got the program running. that's the problem...

Collapse -
That's very strange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2010 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: gpart problem

The gparted iso I use is gparted-live-0.5.2-9.iso and is 119.4 MB.

It's a liveCD so I'm unsure how mounting it virtually would do any good here. I know this is asking a lot but why not use it like the rest of us?

More at the Gparted site "As a rule of thumb, it is always the best idea to handle partitioning from live CD environment. Not surprisingly, almost every single modern Linux distro ships as a bootable live CD. Not only does this allow you to get a first impression of the operating system and check hardware compatibility before deciding whether to commit the distro to hard disk, it also allows you to perform maintenance operations from the live environment. "

Collapse -
i'm just useless
by misandry / June 10, 2010 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: That's very strange.

i couldn't burn the iso for some reason. i burnt it but it was just a disk with files.

i solved my original problem by finding the original partition/security thing on another memory stick. i stuck it on the reformatted one and hey presto it said i needed a password (ie. the original one) and hey presto i had full access to the other side. i guess that's an interesting lesson i.e. reformatting is not as entire and complete when there are hidden partitions.

anyway, i have the full 2gb space now, and i'm happy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.