Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Reducing the display to screen size

by grandpaw7 / March 2, 2005 1:48 AM PST

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on the forum. But after searching unsuccessfully, and being tired, I'll ask it again. This time I'll try to remember to record the answer somewhere.

All of a sudden, without any conscious help from me, some of my desktop icons are off screen. And when I open a page online, such as a page in CNET, I have to scroll sideways to see all of what's there. (Right now, I can see all of this message I am writing, but I have to scroll to the left or right in order to see the matrial in the margins on both sides; my memory is that this used to not be the case. On other online pages, I can't see all of the text without scrolling sideways. This is true both when the screen maximized and when it is not.

At View>Text Size, the size is set at smaller. What does that control?

When I hold down Ctrl and reduce font size to the minimum size, I still have to scroll to see all of the page.

How do I correct this?

And any idea how these things happen, apparently on their own?

Thanks, grandpaw

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reducing the display to screen size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reducing the display to screen size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What does your desktop look like?
by TONI H / March 2, 2005 2:20 AM PST

it that is also oversized, go into Display Settings and increase the resolution and/or colors....and if you can't click the Apply button, just press Enter to make it change.

TONI

Collapse -
I experience this too...
by caktus / March 2, 2005 3:31 AM PST

but only about half the time and I have to scroll, or reduce text size just so I can see all of the Post text. I don't experience this problem with most other sites. I'm beginning to think mabe it's CNET.

Collapse -
go to display and increase your resolution if
by glb613 / March 2, 2005 5:23 AM PST

it is set too low. I find a low setting, like 600x400 or 800x 600, makes everything too big. That can result in the need to scroll to see the entire page.

I have a 17" flat panel monitor and find a setting of 1280 x 1024 works best for me.

Collapse -
Thanks glb613...
by caktus / March 3, 2005 2:41 AM PST

I have a 17" CRT monitor and find a setting of 1280 x 1024 is Out Of Frequency. But 1024 x 768 worked (was 800 x 600). Had to adjust wondow position, Vertical/Horizontal position/size, and Font size a bit, but fits the screen just right.

It also reduced the size of Tool/Scroll bars increasing window size.

Have a great day.:)

Collapse -
Scrolling to read whole page
by elceres4medctr / March 4, 2005 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks glb613...

I too have to scroll quite a bit, including the CNet site. I've set my display to the 800-600 with extra large fonts. The reason? So I can read the text. I have found various sources arrange their web site in different ways. Schwab, e.g., maintains strict controls that make reading their report downloads very difficult. PC World has lately also taken to requiring scrolling for what seems like forever. But, not in all of their reports. That pretty well makes it clear to me that the problem is at the web site. I also require web sites to use my font selection and sizes. Individually, I may have to alter that using "Options" depending on the site, such as Schwab. The underlying problem in my opinion is that certain web site designers are interested in cramming too much information on the page or adding too many bells and whistles. It's too bad some of them are not required to read their own materials on a 17" screen. I have at times resorted to using a magnifying glass, but usually at that stage I just close the window.

Collapse -
TIP...the mouse is your friend
by TONI H / March 4, 2005 1:58 AM PST

If you set your screen resolution one notch higher in the Display/Settings area, you can adjust the desktop and computer fonts in the Appearance area easily for that change. Then when you are on the internet, instead of changing your fonts manually, or having to ignore what's on a website in the Accessability area of Internet Options, just press the CTRL key and move the wheel on your mouse a notch or two in order to change the font size automatically.....and it will stick at all websites from now on. You can change/adjust this at any point at any site and it will hold again.

This way you won't have to scroll back and forth anymore which can be a bear on your hand/shoulder clicking that mouse to do it.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's cool!
by caktus / March 4, 2005 6:45 AM PST
Collapse -
font
by shorechizema / October 29, 2005 6:22 AM PDT

how do i reduce the font size of my screen and as itis too big

Collapse -
Shorechizema, Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 29, 2005 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: font

First, it would sure help if you gave us a little more information...What is the operating system you're using and what font size are you talking about? ON the desktop or in a document or in your browser?

Since this is a thread from quite a while back and it was referring to the desktop display, I'll assume that you're concerned about fonts on your desktop..

To fix that issue, RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties" from the menu. Once that loads, then click on the 'Appearance' tab. When that loads, in the lower part of the screen. Choose a 'Font" size that's appropriate..If that doesn't fix the issue and you want smaller fonts on your desktop icons, then click on the "Advanced" button on that same location. When that loads, click on the drop down arrow next to the "Item" selection, choose "Icon" from the list. When that loads, choose a smaller "font" size or a smaller "icon" size. When you're finished, click on "Apply", then OK.

ON the other hand, if everything on the screen seems to big, then RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties", then click on the "Settings" tab. Move the "Screen resolution" slider to a higher number..Something like 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by jhbalaji / May 24, 2009 10:46 AM PDT

Thanks mate it worked....
Great Thanks....

Collapse -
display screen size
by Greniers / January 25, 2010 7:30 PM PST

How can I reduce my display to screen size ?
(Using WinXP+SP2)
At present, I have to scroll about three inches across to see the rest of a page.
leonking@free.fr

Collapse -
Re: display
by Kees Bakker / January 25, 2010 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: display screen size

Big pages don't fit on small screens. That's clear.

Now all details depend on the program you are referring to. In a word processor, for example, setting the pagesize to a smaller format than 'letter' will cause it to show in total on a not too small screen. But you might mean something else, of course.

Kees

Collapse -
Display has become oversized
by jimpatlow / February 19, 2010 8:33 PM PST

I have an HP Pavilion 6422 and an HP LCD Monitor vs17. I haave to move to the left to read the whole of the printed information

Collapse -
(NT) Changed The Screen Resolution To A Higher Number Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 8:33 AM PST
Collapse -
It's the site
by bfoutch3 / February 23, 2010 1:28 PM PST

Another quick fix is to press "Ctrl" and + or -. The whole page size changes. If you have to shrink the whole page so far that you can't read the text, stop there and move on. Why **** with anybody that doesn't care how much screwing around you have to do? You can find what you want, in a more user friendly format, elsewhere.

Collapse -
computer screen size too wide
by jperlberg45 / August 21, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

i have to keep moving my mouse to get the whole message, what can i do? thank you

Collapse -
Re: screen size to wide
by Kees Bakker / August 21, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

- What program is this in?
- What is it showing?
- What is the resolution of your monitor set to?

If a text file in Notepad, set it to wrapping the lines. But, just as well, it could be another program. You didn't tell.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.