Windows 7

General discussion

red dots on folder icons

by timagirn / November 29, 2010 6:21 AM PST

Hi Guys
I just realized I have red dots on my folder icons. Now if I go into a folder with these dots on it. the internal folder don't have them.
Is this a problem - like a virus or is it something else.

please advice

Thanks
Tima

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: red dots on folder icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: red dots on folder icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Red Dots
by kedscnet / November 29, 2010 7:45 AM PST

Can you send a picture?

Collapse -
picture
by croupiac / March 8, 2011 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: Red Dots

i am not the original poster but i do have a similar question...however i cannot figure out how to send a picture. please advise.

Collapse -
Colored Dots
by kedscnet / March 8, 2011 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: picture

Are you using Carbonite? This backup program indicates the status of the update for all files. Red is not backed up, green is backed up.

Collapse -
Colored specks
by croupiac / March 9, 2011 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Colored Dots

I am not using carbonite although I found out about it through Google searching. The dots I am referring to are little specks dotted all over the icon space. Only on the main folder of a USB drive though...virus?

Collapse -
Icon Dots
by kedscnet / March 10, 2011 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Colored specks

If it's just one icon, it might be a faulty icon file (xxx.ico). You can change the icon used for the external display, although system icons can't be changed as easily as others; you usually need to do it through the Registry. If you are comfortable doing this, search the web for procedures.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.