Windows Legacy OS

Question

rectangels with red crosses

by larsgoran49 / December 12, 2012 5:35 AM PST

on certain webb pages I get rectangels with red crosses in them, even if I click on them nothing happens, whats my problem ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: rectangels with red crosses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: rectangels with red crosses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: red cross
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 5:52 AM PST

It can be an issue with the site (linking to a non-existing image), with your Internet protection (blocking the site where the pics are located), the DNS you're using (unable to ifnd the site where the pics are located), with your browser (a non-supported image type), a corrupted registry, a corrupted user profile, malware or bad add-ons and no doubt more.

Sorry to see you didn't mention your OS (like: OS X, Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.4) and your browser (like IE 6.0, Firefox 15.0).

It might take some time to find the cause. Possible diagnostics:
- enter the url of the image in your address bar and see what happens
- open the image (with the url) in Irfanview and see what happens
- another PC at your location
- your laptop somewhere else
- another PC at another location (if it fails then also, it's an issue of the site)
- disable Internet security
- try another browser
- try Firefox after booting from an Ubuntu disk
- find the common factor (f.e. only jpg's / gif's / png's are affected)

For example:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915158
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/iewebdevelopment/thread/ba85dc5c-04b8-4bc1-a893-1c465bedf4be

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
As Kees suggests try Firefox or Chrome
by wpgwpg / December 12, 2012 6:23 AM PST

You can download Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and Chrome from http://www.google.com/chrome .
If they're real small rectangles, I expect they're just missing pictures like Kees suggests. That's what you get when a site's pictures can't be found. What you see as one screen is really made up of a bunch of separate components, which is why you need a browser like IE, Firefox, or Chrome to assemble them into one coherent window, but when it can't find one of the pictures, that's what you get. Sometimes clearing the browser cache can help, but not always. To do that in Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Internet Options and then delete the cache. I'm using IE9, but since you posted in the XP forum I expect yours is IE6 or IE7, so the options will be slightly different.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Re: clearing cache
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 6:53 AM PST

That 'cache' in Internet Explorer is called 'Temporary Internet Files'. They can be cleared from the General tab of those Internet Options. I mention it because the OP might have trouble to find 'cache' if he doesn't know how it is called.

As far as I remember, Tools>Internet Options is the same in all versions of IE. The most recent version for XP is IE8, and I expect most home users have that (some companies refuse the update, because it isn't compatible with their web applications, but home users don't have a good reason to stay with IE7).

It's nog guaranteed to help, alas, but it won't harm at all.
I once had a PC where IE refused to display .png files (all other pictures were fine). I quickly gave up to find the cause and switched to Firefox for routine browsing. It's long ago already, but I seem to remember it fixed itself after some update. Never had such troubles after that.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.