It can be an issue with the site (linking to a non-existing image), with your Internet protection (blocking the site where the pics are located), the DNS you're using (unable to ifnd the site where the pics are located), with your browser (a non-supported image type), a corrupted registry, a corrupted user profile, malware or bad add-ons and no doubt more.
Sorry to see you didn't mention your OS (like: OS X, Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.4) and your browser (like IE 6.0, Firefox 15.0).
It might take some time to find the cause. Possible diagnostics:
- enter the url of the image in your address bar and see what happens
- open the image (with the url) in Irfanview and see what happens
- another PC at your location
- your laptop somewhere else
- another PC at another location (if it fails then also, it's an issue of the site)
- disable Internet security
- try another browser
- try Firefox after booting from an Ubuntu disk
- find the common factor (f.e. only jpg's / gif's / png's are affected)
on certain webb pages I get rectangels with red crosses in them, even if I click on them nothing happens, whats my problem ?