Windows 7 forum

Recovery Drive 'D' Full

by cgibsong002 / June 6, 2011 11:51 AM PDT

I keep getting this message popping up in my alerts bar. A while ago I accidentally tried to create a recovery in my recovery drive, which was bigger than the drive has allocated to it. So it maxed out the drive but couldn't complete the recovery file. So I tried deleting it, but the file kept re-appearing and re-filling my drive.
So I tried copying the original recovery folder that came with the original install to my desktop and then re-formatting the drive. I haven't restarted the computer yet but as of now the drive is clear. Problem is, when I went to copy that folder back to the D drive, it is giving me an error when I try to open it. What files were in that folder, and how can I get them back?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovery Drive 'D' Full
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovery Drive 'D' Full
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This is a proper message.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 2:34 AM PDT

The default setting was to ignore low space on D: but folk clean the registry (we don't know why) and the registry key to not show low space on D: goes with that.

As far as I know, once you mess with the recovery partition like this there is no repair tool. Well I have mine but it's a clone copy of the HDD before we boot the machine for the first time. It's a backup to those restore media.

-> Let's say you want to know to to get them back. Only the maker can tell you that. Most of the time (all the time here) they just say no. Or offer a repair for about 120 bucks.

Collapse -
by cgibsong002 / June 7, 2011 10:31 PM PDT

you don't think I can find the files online? Or if not, and I'm not paying 120, what should I do? Leave it alone?

Collapse -
Where are you with this now?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: ??

Can you clarify this. D drive was a recovery drive. What does that mean? Did you create this drive? What was this recovery and how was it created, what software did you use?

If that D drive has now been reformatted, is the drive now empty?

What is this 'original recovery folder, and where is it located, the path?

Where did you copy this recovery folder to, what location? If you delete this recovery folder, do you still have the original recovery folder?

I'm asking all this because having a "Recovery Folder" located on the same hard drive or same partition as where the OS is installed seems quite unusual. For example, if the hard drive fails for any reason, then that recovery folder will not be accessible anyway. So it would not seem to be working as an intended recovery device.

Finally, what files online?

Collapse -
by cgibsong002 / June 8, 2011 8:16 AM PDT

Here's what I'm talking about. The drive "Recovery" is the one I accidentally filled. I deleted the file that I accidentally filled it with. I then took the folder marked "recovery" and copied it to my desktop. I then reformatted the D drive and then copied the folder back to the recovery drive, which is why it's marked as a shortcut.

Collapse -
That's no folder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: look

That's some link to somewhere. It is pretty useless but I fear some would want to keep that.

Collapse -
It is a folder.
by cgibsong002 / June 8, 2011 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: That's no folder.

As I said, it's only a shortcut because I copied to the desktop then recopied it there.

Collapse -
It is what it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: It is a folder.

Since it is a shortcut, it would have nothing more than that. I did run into a fellow that thought they had all the files because it used to go to the files. They had the shortcut copied out of D: and needed more space and since the shortcut was working they thought they could delete the files the shortcut pointed to.

I'm unsure where they are today as they rushed off to find someone more knowledgeable since the shortcut must have the files "if we can unlock them."

It was sad.

Collapse -
Yes well, I'm as confused as you are about this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: look

As Bob says, that 'folder' on D is/was a shortcut to some other folder, presumably on the C drive somewhere, so as such it doesn't hold any files itself.

You will see that the D Drive has 10.2 GB free of 10.3 GB. That is My Computer, (or "Computer" as it is now called), telling us that there is nothing but a very small file on the D drive, the shortcut, and nothing else.

I'm still unsure how you are able to see a "Recovery Drive" in My Computer. I don't know what make and model this computer is, but if it came with a recovery partition that partition would be hidden from Windows, although it would show up in Disk Management.

Yes, all very confusing.

Your best bet is to just use that D drive for normal storage because any recovery files it may have once had have now gone.

Collapse -
Oh, I know
by cgibsong002 / June 10, 2011 7:30 AM PDT

Yes, I know those files are now gone. It was my mistake doing the shortcut thing without paying attention. Oh well. Guess I'll just leave it alone. At least I don't have the drive full message popping up every minute.

Collapse -
Let me clarify this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2011 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

While you might find the files online, they are often not from the maker or riddled with malware. So that's not an option.

I'd turn off the low space notification (like it was back then!) and make a spare copy of my restore media so I don't have to pay later.

Collapse -
Interestingly enough...
by cgibsong002 / June 13, 2011 12:24 PM PDT

The files are back and the folder is full again. How is that possible after it was reformatted? And not only are the files back, but that same folder still has the same error and won't open. So basically the half-recovery file taking up all the space came back, but the original folder and files is still gone.

Collapse -
Did you make Recovery DVDs when you bought your laptop?
by fjord_fox / July 23, 2011 5:06 PM PDT

You didn't answer any of the questions that Mark Flax asked you in "Where are you with this now?"

If the "Recovery Drive" came with the laptop, then you shouldn't have touched it--not at all. That is your recovery drive! It's the drive that they put in all of your recovery software so when you need to, you can just push a button at startup and it will automatically format your hard drive and re-install all of the programs that came with the laptop and restore it to factory settings. In essence, it brings the laptop back to EXACTLY how it was when you bought it.

If you can see this drive, then you must have bought a disk partitioning program and un-hid it, because when you buy a computer or laptop, the manufacturers hide these Recovery Drive partitions.

Now, it seems that you have restored the laptop "to factory settings" and you're complaining that it has restored all the files that were on the Recovery Drive--even including the one that you cannot delete. SO, I have yet another question to add to Mark's list...

HOW did you restore your laptop to factory settings, and WITH WHAT?
Did you make the Recovery DVDs BEFORE--or AFTER you screwed up the Recovery Drive?
The reason I ask, is that if you did so AFTER you screwed it up, then yes, it WOULD restore EVERYTHING--INCLUDING the file that you don't want to be restored. That's what it's supposed to do.

At least, that's what it did on the ASUS laptop that I'm working on now. Somehow, the lady had formatted her Recovery Drive too, and suddenly, her computer stopped working and kept going to blue screen, so she gave it to me to figure it out. When I saw that she had formatted that drive, I panicked, so I sat on it and did nothing for 3 weeks, until she found the set of recovery DVDs that I made for her when she bought it.

That's all I could do! It was either THAT or tell her to take it back to the store and let them ship it back to the manufacturer, but for THAT, there is NO guarantee, because that is not a factory defect, and even extended warrantees don't cover stupidity. She finally did find the recovery DVDs and I was amazed that they even restored the Recovery Drive in addition to the C:\ drive.

Those Recovery Disks are supposed to restore everything that was originally in the Recovery Drive at the time that you made those disks--and preferably, you would have made the disks as soon as you bought the laptop. That is why you get warnings to do so until you DO--or until you turn off those warnings.

Do you have a set of recovery DVDs that you made when you first bought your laptop? If you do, then use them! They will bring it back to exactly the way it was when you bought your laptop WITHOUT the added file.

If they don't work, because of age, try cleaning them with a solution that doesn't have rubbing alcohol in it and a clean, soft, lint-free cloth. I wear glasses and I've found that the glasses cleaning liquid and my glasses cleaning cloth works great.

HERE'S WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN OLD RECOVERY DISK SET... You say that you cannot delete the file--that it just won't delete. Am I understanding that correctly?
If so, then try using EMCO Move-on Boot which you can find at;1.

You would probably have to tell it to delete the file, and then it'll probably tell you to restart your laptop, and when you come back, it should be deleted.

Then HIDE that partition again. If you don't know how, ask for help...

If you want a D:\ drive to make backups on, or to put your important personal files on, then you'll have to use a disk partitioning software program.

Collapse -
d drive
by tundrachefak / July 23, 2011 2:25 PM PDT

this is exactly where i am at. it was low, got the message and i screwed with the partition.
re doing my pc back to factory settings, did not cure the d drive crisis

Collapse -
Remember this is not a crisis.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: d drive
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.