Windows 7

Question

Recovery disks wont start

by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 3:10 AM PST

I tried pressing F8 on boot up, but it gave no option to go into the BIOS. So I searched the on-line manual, which said "An automatic detection ofyour model was not possible. A configuration process needed wasn't initiated (for program launch and/or clean up). To initialize this manually please select one model of the list shown below which fits best to your series. Note if you are not really sure you may find the needed information on the label at the bottom of your notebook! (complete with exclamation mark!"
So I looked at the bottom of computer as the numbers they show are not the same. Mine is C850-1ER, and the numbers they put are C850/C850D/L850/L850D and C870/C870D/L870D/L875/L875D.
I'm just lost with it all.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovery disks wont start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovery disks wont start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It appears you have the wrong recovery disks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 3:17 AM PST
Collapse -
I made the recovery disks!
by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 3:26 AM PST

I had to dig a bit to find the recovery system, and it told me one by one to put the disks in, so how can they be the wrong disks ?

Collapse -
Thanks for that detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 3:54 AM PST

There were a few laptops that had that error and the makers had some error in the recovery media creation system. This situation is not unknown but annoys us from time to time.

Bob

Collapse -
I see you have booted the recovery. About McAfee.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 5:54 AM PST

The restore media usually installs all that the maker bundled in. I usually have to use McAfee's removal tool then install a current antivirus.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
RE: recovery disks
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 3:29 AM PST

Seems C850 to me.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/toshiba-satellite-bios-keysequence-13041.html doesn't talk about F8.
F8 is commonly used to boot into Windows Safe mode 10 a few seconds later. Why do you think it's F8?

That link mentions esc, then F2 to enter the BIOS or f12 to select a boot device, while a later post says that it's f2 to directly select a boot device. So nice there's more online than that online help of yours.

It was a satellite, wasn't it? You didn't mention it in this post.

Kees

Collapse -
Recovery
by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: RE: recovery disks

I did F8 again and found on the menu "repair computer" and selected it. I thought F8 was the one to use. The Factory Default Software recovery is running now. When I first had the computer it downloaded dozens of windows updates, but not at first it came up a couple of days later. But this time I think it might be good to ask it to update straight away, before I do anything else ?

Collapse -
If you want to prove ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Recovery

the email links don't work out of the box, test it immediately.

Kees

Collapse -
McAfee
by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 4:58 AM PST

Its almost finished, but a box has come up saying "McAfee Your computer is at risk. Please check your status so you can address any security issues to keep your PC protected."
Do I have to have McAfee? I prefer AVG

Collapse -
Re: McAfee
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: McAfee

Quite a lot of laptops and desktops come with trial version of antivirus and office programs. They work for 1 or 2 months and after that you need to pay if you want to keep using them.

But it's quite well possible to uninstall them and use another antivirus or another office suite.

Let's say this keeps the price of the machine down because the maker is payed to install those trials. Do you like it better then?

Kees

Collapse -
Re-installation
by Learner7 / March 4, 2013 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: McAfee

I selected the option to Recover, and the Windows was already on the computer somewhere. So it is completely re-installed, and then I selected Windows update which downloaded 105 updates. After all that was done and the computer restarted again (it restarted during installation about a dozen times). It then said there were a further 68 updates to be installed, so they are all in now too. Interestingly when the Browser option screen came up, one of the options was Mozilla which I installed, and when the option to install IE9 came up I accepted that too, whereas on the first installation it came up with an offer of IE10. A bit odd. I made IE9 the default browser.

I transferred my email via Mozbackup, opened Thunderbird, selected a hyperlink - and it still does does not work. Tried several others but none of them brought the browser up with the link. It did nothing. But the machine is clean other than the email. I am not transferring anything else, as I can access my data via the little USB HD I have.

I also installed AVG anti virus as soon as the installation was completed. But I have not deleted McAfee yet.

Collapse -
Hope this works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re-installation

I never leave an antivirus installed when I'm installing another. Having more than one has resulted in very odd problems.

But I can understand folk are so scared that they think that the machine will be infected the moment it has no antivirus. That thinking is not something I can help with. Besides, how would the service counters survive without those folk?
Bob

Collapse -
New recovery disks created
by Learner7 / March 4, 2013 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Hope this works.

I have uninstalled McAfee, created new recovery disks following the instructions in the Toshiba Manual which I have now been able to read, as I had to install Nitro first. Its no help for tech problems though. What else can I do ?

Collapse -
You mean Nitro PDF app?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 4:09 AM PST

Why would I ever need to install that first? Sorry but the story is getting long and fuzzy. And my comments while unpopular try to get folk to really think about their choices.

Here I can use restore media and proceed to remove apps I don't want and ALWAYS remove an antivirus before I install the next and for whatever reason folk think that's dangerous, all you can do is nod and think this is good news for support and service centers.

ABOUT THE HYPERLINK. McAfee and other antivirus apps do block that. Mcafee and other antivirus apps also toss monkey wrenches into the works when they expire which is another reason I uninstall them before I install the next.

And all this and maybe it's some arcane setting in the email or browser software. Example follows.
http://superuser.com/questions/134306/thunderbird-does-not-allow-anymore-to-open-url-links-with-the-predefined-browser

Bob

Collapse -
Superuser looks useful
by Learner7 / March 4, 2013 5:31 AM PST

I started rather late in life on computers. My grown up grandchildren have no problems understanding as they started early in life, but I wish they lived nearer !

I am sorry its becoming convoluted, the more I read the more confused I get.
This looks like it could be an answer Set network.protocol-handler.external.http to true.
but WHERE do I go to set network protocol to true ?

Collapse -
I follow the link to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Superuser looks useful
https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/thunderbird_does_not_open_links_if_ie_or_firefox_is_already_open

I'll quote the specific part.
"OKKEP over 3 years ago
Hi there,
i could not open links from TB (2.0.0.23) (Win XP pro) either.
Here's the solution that worked for me. (I adopted it from the following ubuntu forum https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/...)

1, Go to Menubar: Tools/Options/Advanced tab/Config editor...
2, Be careful!
3, Seek for network.protocol-handler.external.http set the value to TRUE.

That made me the trick.

If you don't have this line, you should add a new boolean with this name: network.protocol-handler.external.http and set it TRUE.

I hope it'll help you out."
Collapse -
New boolean
by Learner7 / March 4, 2013 6:59 PM PST
In reply to: I follow the link to
Cry I made the new boolean, making absolutely certain it was correct. Marked it as True.
Restarted the computer, and it doesn't work! I was thrilled to think I had done something technical !! I did read all the links you sent. But it didn't answer the problem.
Collapse -
Answer
The problem is that folk wanted more security and got it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 12:45 AM PST

There are many other areas to explore such as what other security is blocking this from working.

In short there have been dozens of posts yet I'm unsure if you tried the usual noted long ago. I won't supply any step by step because there is no click by click written. You must be comfortable with doing basic Windows procedures. So I'll share the 2 things I do that if there is no other system damage, has worked for me. It will NOT launch FireFox!!

1. Set the default browser back to IE.
2. Apply the usual HTM HTML association fixes.
Bob

Collapse -
HTM fixes
by Learner7 / March 5, 2013 1:26 AM PST

I have kept IE9 as default browser since I reinstalled. Can you tell me what the usual HTM HTML association fixes are, and where I would apply them please.

When I log in, everytime I have to click the keep me signed in box, but I have to log in every time, it does not keep me signed in, either on Firefox or IE9

Collapse -
Try this on google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: HTM fixes

HTM HTML WINDOWS 7 ASSOCIATION FIXES.

As to the sign in issue, I'm going to take that as a new issue and worthy of it's own discussion. It sounds like a security feature or antivirus doing it's job.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.