Windows 7 forum

Question

Recovery disc help, Please!

by robrote / January 29, 2013 2:51 AM PST

I need some common sense help here that I have been unable to get on my google search. 25 different answers, all of them different.

I have a Dell XPS laptop running Win 7 that has a hard drive on it's way out. It does not have a recovery partition installed.

My question, if I burn the recovery DVDs using the Win 7 function in the Backup/Restore area, can I replace the drive and use them to reinstall windows? Or, do I need the Win7 DVD that doesn't come with the compluters anymore?

What is the recovery discs used for?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovery disc help, Please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovery disc help, Please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You should be able to use recovery discs but check w/Dell
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 2:58 AM PST

Usually the recovery discs contain everything you need, but it's possible they might need something from the recovery partition, so check with Dell. I'd definitely burn the discs, but I'd also get myself an external hard drive and good backup program and do a full system backup. You can buy 1 TB external HDs for around $70 and there's an excellent free backup program Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm .

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
I've Used The System Repair/System Image Disks...And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 9:55 AM PST

...they worked just fine.. I also make sure to save the System Image to DVD's NOT an external hard drive. Some have had issues with re-imaging the new hard drive when a USB external hard drive was used so I use DVD+R's. Generally, as long as you make sure that ALL items on the operating system drive are included when creating the System Image Disk, it will reinstall everything back to it's original state. If I remember correctly, it will ONLY recover the primary Windows drive, not secondary drives.

Remember, it's best to create BOTH a System Repair and a System Image disk.. After installing the new hard drive, put the System Repair in first, choose the correct recovery option (System Image Recovery is usually the correct option), then insert the System Image disk and follow the prompts to install Windows and all other programs and files which were included when the System Image was created....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
What?
by spittsp / February 2, 2013 12:10 PM PST

Backup/Restore doesn't create a Recovery Disk. Before your hard drive fails I would create a system image. If you can't you will need a copy of Windows 7. I bought a copy from a computer repair shop for $30. Of course you will need a valid key. Should be on bottom of your laptop.

Dell might give you a replacement copy or Recovery Disk. Check website. Doesn't hurt to try.

Collapse -
Answer
Try live CD
by Ethan1985 / February 5, 2013 9:47 PM PST

Try live CD last version

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.