Computer Help forum

General discussion

Recovering deleted files after reset to factory default?

by kwauer / June 9, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is a way to recover lost Word documents after a reset to factory default? My husband had a problem with our PC (Windows 2000 OS) a couple of years ago where it kept freezing up and crashing, so he did a manual reset back to the factory default (I think that's the term anyway) Unfortunately, he did this before I was able to back up all of the Word documents I had saved on the hard drive and I lost every last one of my saved files. It was all of my writings from the past few years too, so needless to say, I was devastated. Is there any type of software I can purchase to help me get these files back, and does it matter that it happened so long ago? I had no idea I could do this, but someone just mentioned to me recently that there might be a way to recover these files, so hopefully I can get some of this work back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recovering deleted files after reset to factory default?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recovering deleted files after reset to factory default?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jnbhoward / June 9, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

If I'm reading correctly, and you're trying to recover files that were lost years ago, then no. The data's long since gone. If it just happened yesterday, and you haven't done much to the system since, there's a chance. A slim chance for a full recovery, and a decent chance for a partial recovery.

Collapse -
Recovering deleted files after reset to factory default
by hchapjian / December 31, 2006 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: No

If the default reset was just done yesterday, how can one retrieve all the data files that were deleted?

Collapse -
1. You stop using that drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2006 2:54 AM PST

The moment we discover this, the unit is powered off to stop the machine from overwriting more files.

2. We try Zero Assumption Recovery.

But how you ask since we can't use the machine. This is how. We pull the drive and place it as slave on another working machine and see what ZAR finds. If it finds what we need, we pay up and get the files back.

3. If ZAR doesn't work.

Head to or others and ask for the price.

Collapse -
Drivesavers is good
by tuxmaster / December 31, 2006 1:59 PM PST

Most Tech support people would say no only reason why is if it is really important then you must pay the price

min $1000 Drive savers I can tell you however is one of the 2 Hard drive recovery Companies that can acidly open a hard drive and still have it covered under warranty.

So basically no unless you want to fork some money. Since it is a working hard drive it might be easier but it still requires getting down to a low level and reconstructing the data. And still only a partial recovery possibility.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.