Computer Help

Resolved Question

Recover Windows 7 password by plugging HD into other comp

by funk-doc / January 8, 2013 7:15 AM PST

Ok I am having a major problem with one of my clients. This is a brand new computer I built for them a month ago. They allowed remote access to one of their clients and the login screen password got changed somehow. After talking with the client they changed the isp for a program within the system to allow the original client to access them.

The Windows 7 login screen now will not accept the original password or anything. I have tried all the pass reset discs and nothing works. I have taken out the HD and plugged it into my computer and all the files etc are there and I can access them.

Is there a way to be able to see and/or reset the admin password for that HD through my computer so I can plug it back into the original computer and login.
Any Ideas?

funk-doc has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recover Windows 7 password by plugging HD into other comp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recover Windows 7 password by plugging HD into other comp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by funk-doc

Collapse -
What about NTPASSWD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 7:25 AM PST

It's free, but if it fails you can try www.lostpassword.com

You didn't tell what password resets you tried, but RECOVERY OF THE PASSWORD is rare and time consuming. I just reset them.
Bob

Collapse -
tried it
by funk-doc / January 8, 2013 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: What about NTPASSWD.

I tried that one. It asks me to press the number of the HD I want to logon to and I press 1 (only 1 HD). Then it just asks me again and again. I have tried finding all partitions etc and it still just keeps asking. I also tried Windows password key standard and that doesnt even find the HD. But everything is on the HD when I plug it into my comp as a slave.

Collapse -
Is this on a newer EFI system?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: tried it

If so, you have to put the drive into an old BIOS based PC.

DO NOT BOOT that Windows but just NTPASSWD.

Lostpassword.com should be working on a new EFI system. Ask them.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure what EFI is
by funk-doc / January 8, 2013 7:42 AM PST

not sure what that is but in any case those do not work for me. Might there be a way to see or change the password through my computer by going into a string of folders somewhere on that HD

Collapse -
I've never done it that way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure what EFI is

But I bet some expert using the source code of NTPASSWD could indeed do such a thing.

Here I could put the HDD I need to reset on the boot connection of my desktop and reset it with NTPASSWD. I know better than to boot to muddle with files to do this reset.

EFI is in many new PCs and recovery is going to be a __tch. My first encounters with MSFT over this is "well, don't lose your password." Thanks.

-> Again, this is why we have a spare ADMIN account. I take it you tried Safe Mode to see if the Administrator account would show up? Because in an Admin account we can reset passwords.

But you know that.
Bob

Collapse -
I am unable to get to safe mode
by funk-doc / January 8, 2013 8:27 AM PST

When pressing the f8 key all I get is the boot manager. Doesn't matter what I select after and quickly press f8 it doesn't do anything, just loads to the windows login screen

I even hooked up a ps2 keyboard and tried that, same result. Any other way to get to the safe mode screen? tried f5,f10

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 8:30 AM PST

Then it looks like you need lostpassword.com's support. I noted what I've done in the past and it appears you need to talk to the owner about that spare admin account.

I know some users demand we drive it down to one lone account but given the corrupt profile issue, you rarely get them to change their minds until this event happens or in your case, the password is forgotten.

At least you can boot the CDs so there's no reason to lose any files.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by funk-doc / January 8, 2013 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Odd.

Thanks very much I appreciate your help!

Collapse -
Answer
Recover Windows 7 password
by passwordkey / January 14, 2013 10:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes. But it does not recover the password. PLUS!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 10:13 AM PST

"designed for resetting local administrator and user passwords on any Windows system."

Plus it's 12 or more dollars than NTPASSWD.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.