Storage forum

Resolved Question

Recover videos from a formatted hard drive?

by Camaer00yoo / July 17, 2013 3:40 PM PDT

I stupidly formatted the wrong hard drive when there are two external hard drives connected on my computer. It is a WD external hard drive. I heard about the data recovery software which could help restore the saved data back from a formatted drive. But, I am afraid the program may make things worse. Do I have to use a data recovery program to get back my videos? Is there any one that could give me some suggestions?
Thanks!

Camaer00yoo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recover videos from a formatted hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recover videos from a formatted hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Camaer00yoo

Collapse -
Try some drive data recovery freeware to take cahnces!
by Melanie767658 / July 18, 2013 3:25 PM PDT

After accidentally deleting the needed data, one could use a data recovery programs or ask for a data recovery service from the expert and data recovery company. But, the latter choice always needs much money.
So, if you have no much money for it, you could firstly try some drive data recovery freeware. In fact, as I know, there are many drive data recovery freeware that could work much efficiently than some paid ones, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.
Therefore, do not save anything new on this formatted drive in case of data loss and select a proper data recovery program to take chances.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Thank you so much for your explanation.
by Camaer00yoo / July 22, 2013 3:50 PM PDT

Thank you so much for your explanation of formatted drive data recovery.

After mistakenly formatting this hard drive, I am really worried that I could make thing worse. But, fortunately, after reading your answer, I have tried your mentioned data recovery freeware and restore back all my wanted files back!
Thank you thank you thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Answer
Really the choice is yours
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 4:15 PM PDT

You don't have to use a data recovery program, that option is entirely yours to make.

But if you want this data back you either try those or send the drive to some data recovery business. That 2nd option will cost a lot.

Have a look at the software suggested in Lost and Found. Or the Storage Forum Sticky,. There are some good suggestions there, but which ones work best, if at all, can only be found by trying.

Remember, you are unlikely to recover all your lost files.

I assume you have no backups?

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Start with the Lost and Found.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 11:04 PM PDT

It's at the top of the forum and progresses from free to try before buy to data recovery houses.

REMEMBER TO NEVER WRITE TO SAID DRIVE!!! We only do that after we recovered (copied out) the lost files.

In the future be sure of your backup systems so you won't repeat this problem.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Safe way to recover videos from a formatted hard drive
by Sunderlandgreen / August 19, 2013 5:56 PM PDT

If you do not want to make things worse when you use the program to recover formatted files from hard drive, there are a few precautions to keep in mind:
First, before you recover your data, do not save any new files onto the formatted hard drive.
Second, do not install the recovery software onto the formatted drive, install it on a different disk drive or to a separate PC.
Third, if you are afraid of damage to the formatted drive during recovery process, you can create a disk image of the drive to pull the data from rather than directly from the disk, some of the recovery software includes disk imaging function.
www.jihosoft.com/recover-data/recover-file-from-formatted-hard-disk-drive.html

Collapse -
Answer
Re:Recover videos from a formatted hard drive?
by John_Marker / August 21, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

You can try "Remo recover tool" to recover your video from a formatted hard drive. You can try the free softwares, but I suggest you not to do this, as these tools may corrupt your file even further. The tool which I suggested here is paid software, you can try demo version of this tool through whichs you can test its proficiency.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.