iPhones, iPods, & iPads

Question

Recover deleted photos on iPod Touch without iTunes backup?

by si / July 20, 2013 1:00 AM PDT

Hi. I have been a Windows user since v3.x and am currently working on mastering W8 <grin>. I work on Windows computers, upgrading, removing malware, etc., and I'm really good at solving all kind of problems with Windows software/hardware. I also have used Android for a few years, and am comfortable with that as well. But I have stayed away from anything Apple, and pretty much loathe the "proprietary-ness" of their products. Here's my problem: My son just had to have an iPod Touch, and so he now comes to me for help with it. Recently, he accidentally deleted some photos he was trying to move into a folder, and had not synced with iTunes yet. Now, I know of all kinds of *FREE* ways to recover things on Windows and Android operating systems, but I can't find anything that works for this iPod Touch. The Windows 8 computer sees the device, and the DCIM folder is able to be viewed on the computer - I can copy the photos and videos that are in the folders to the computer, but I can not, for the life of me, get any of the free recovery programs to recognize the iPod DCIM folder for scanning. I have tried EaseUS Data Recovery Free, Recuva, Test Disk/PhotoRec, and ZAR. It seems this is because the iPod Touch connects as an MTP device and there's no direct disk access support with MTP. I have found some programs that claim to accomplish recovery, but their trial only identifies the files and does not recover anything until you pay for it. Well, not only can I not afford to pay for them, but I am not paying for anything that doesn't at least give me the capability of recovering a limited amount of data in the trial. There are too many programs that supposedly "recover" files, only to find that they are not fully recovered and actually corrupted or incomplete.

Normally, I would just say, c'est la vie, another Apple fiasco, and be done with it, but these photos are from a very special trip, and it is pretty important to get them back. I'm sure there are other CNET readers out there who have had this same problem with an iPod Touch, or iPhone, and so I am hoping to get some ideas of what has worked for them. Thanks very much for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recover deleted photos on iPod Touch without iTunes backup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recover deleted photos on iPod Touch without iTunes backup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One of the issues with iOS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2013 4:35 AM PDT

Is that there is no exposed file system. As such there is no good tools for recovery since as you discovered, no files, folders or an exposed file system.

Not much new going on here. But you seem to be re-discovering the reason we can't dig too deep into iOS.

It's also part of an issue why I think you can't use these for any security work. You can't be sure of what's inside.
BOb

Collapse -
Yes, I am reminded why I hate Apple so much
by si / July 23, 2013 11:37 PM PDT
"It's also part of an issue why I think you can't use these for any security work." - Right!!
Collapse -
Re: Recover deleted photos on iPod Touch without iTunes back
by drewheidiadal / September 16, 2013 7:34 PM PDT

Did you try this?
1. You need to restart your iPod before putting it into Disk Mode. Check that your hold switch is off by sliding the switch away from the headphone jack.
2. Press and hold the following combination of buttons buttons simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds to reset the iPod. iPod touch is "Menu" and "Sleep Button".
3. Restart the iPod as explained above, then as soon as you see the Apple logo, let go, and then hold down the "Fast Forward" and "Rewind" buttons. This will force your iPod into Disk Mode. At this point your iPod may mount on your computer. If not, try restarting the computer.
4. Once your iPod is in Disk Mode (it should say that on the top of the iPod's LCD screen) and is flashing the "Do not disconnect" icon, you should be all set.
5. Just restart your iPod to exit disk mode.6. If this procedure didn't work, you may have a hardware problem.

Collapse -
Yes I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

Since there is no exposed file system we have to rely on our backups (which work for me!) or look at forensic tools like a CellBrite.

https://www.google.com/#q=iphone+cellbrite

I wonder if folk knew all we revealed in this discussion?
Bob

Collapse -
Backup iPhone/iPad/iPod
by helenqun322 / September 24, 2013 1:53 PM PDT

Every time you lose data, you start to think of the importance of backup files, which can keep your downloads, contacts, pictures, SMS, etc. what's more, when you decide to use a new iPhone, you can move the old iPhone's backup to the new device so that you don't need to download the same apps or re-enter the contacts, just name a few. But do you know how to backup your iPhone?

Look here to try to backup iPhone, backup iPod.

Collapse -
Answer
iPod photo recovery without iTunes
by Loraroy / July 23, 2013 8:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Trial?
by si / July 23, 2013 11:29 PM PDT

And does this software have a trial which lets you recover a limited amount of pictures so you can verify that it does indeed work? I will not pay $70+ for software that doesn't give me an example of it's performance. Showing me a bunch of pictures that are recoverable without actually recovering them is NOT proof it will work. I've been burned before.

Collapse -
Try asking...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 24, 2013 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Trial?

....the author of the application. There should be some information on how to contact them.

Collapse -
Re: iPod photo recovery without iTunes
by frederica872 / August 20, 2013 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Trial?

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">surely, there is a free and trial version of this software. There are two ways to recover deleted photos of iPhone, one is to retrieve photos from iPhone directly, the other is retrieve photos from iTunes backup. both of these two ways are working out. you can make what you want come true through these two ways, and you can read more here.

Collapse -
Answer
there are lots of softwares on Cnet for you to do it
by Thome_Green / July 25, 2013 11:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Recover deleted photos on iPod Touch without iTunes backup
by ginostanley / July 29, 2013 5:12 PM PDT

If you have backed up after the photos were sent, then try restoring from backup. Make sure that you turn off automatic syncing first before you connect. Go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and check the box that says Prevent iPod Touch.

Collapse -
Answer
I had the situation like yours before.
by Blaire28 / August 29, 2013 7:20 PM PDT

I accidentaly deleted some photos on my iPod Touch 5 about 2 weeks ago becuase I thought I emailed to my self on gmail. When you delete pictures on computer running Microsoft Windows or on a memory card, the link to the data disappears, but the data still remains until overwritten by new files. If you act quickly, you may be able to successfully recover deleted pictures on your computer or memory card. If you can't recover deleted pictures on your computer through the Recycle Bin, you can try restoring previously saved versions of the files. To restore deleted pictures on a memory card, however, you'll need to download a photo recovery program.
I used the Photo Recovery and it will show you how to recover the photos in details. You can try the free trail first to see whether it suits your systems. As for me, it is very easy for me to use. Hope the software can rescue you from this problem too. You can read more information in here.

Collapse -
Answer
Restore pictures from Ipod to Computer1
by Chuck505 / September 5, 2013 8:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Nope, no iTunes backup
by si / September 10, 2013 10:37 PM PDT

Hi Chuck505,
It says on their site "iPod Touch File Recovery can help you recover data from iPod as long as you sync your iPod with iTunes before." Well, as I said, that didn't happen, so it's not an option. But thanks for your response.

Collapse -
Answer
Backup iPhone, iPod
by helenqun322 / September 24, 2013 1:55 PM PDT

Every time you lose data, you start to think of the importance of backup files, which can keep your downloads, contacts, pictures, SMS, etc. what's more, when you decide to use a new iPhone, you can move the old iPhone's backup to the new device so that you don't need to download the same apps or re-enter the contacts, just name a few. But do you know how to backup your iPhone?

Look here to try to <a href="http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/back-up-iphone.html">backup iPhone</a>, <a href="http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/back-up-iphone.html">backup iPod</a>.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.