PC Applications forum

General discussion

Recover deleted partition

by micheal Q / March 27, 2008 4:53 PM PDT

I rebuilt my computer last weekend and I deleted the single partition on the old hard disk. But before I had a chance to create a new partition, I was not sure wae everything had copied on my backup harddisk.

It was too late unless some recovery software was purchased.

I have spent the best part of an hour on the Internet searching for freeware. Finally, I found TestDisk which comes in two flavours, DOS and Windows.I usede the windows based version and managed to recover my partition. but I still couldn't find all my files. Is there any suggestion? Please help me!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recover deleted partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recover deleted partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one notes partition recovery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 9:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Don't know if this will work but Recuva(pronounced recover)
by darclew3-2215827575258062 / March 30, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

is also at www.piriform.com, listed on http://wwwfilehippo.com and I bet at www.majorgeeks.com (Da real Geek Squard!!) Darrell

Collapse -
(NT) Good program but doesn't appear to do partitions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Partition or file recovery
by DADSGETNDOWN / June 22, 2012 12:50 PM PDT

Okay, Mr. Proffitt. I have a similar issue, My ultimate question is, try to recover files first and with recuva or testdisk or ?, or try to repair or fix or create the lost partition or mbr or what first ?
Years ago on WIN98SE, I got a virus, I had AVG I had created a recovery disk or something with AVG, on a floppy, I ran it and it removed what it found. The drive boots to C where the OS is, but the partition was not seen, I think (long time and bad memory) I tried to run Windows floppy DOS mode trying to see the parition or create a new one, I wasn't sure what to do in there so I don't remember doing anything. I then just got a new drive, so now I have one of those Hard drive to usb adapters, all I want are the files...don't care about the partition per say.

Collapse -
The first step is always
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 12:58 PM PDT

1. Clone the drive.

But since files are in partitions, you have no choice today on what to do first.

2. Now that we have a clone of the drive we can try the usual titles on the clone.

3. No one usually guesses which method will work. We have tools and apps that work pretty well but more folk forget step 1. Some folk are too new at this and don't know that without a partition we can't have a filesystem and files to recover. Those that are that new to recovery and won't take step 1 should send the drive to http://www.drivesavers.com
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Locking this old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 1:06 PM PDT

It's outdated. Please start a new discussion so we don't have to scroll down so much.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.