Samsung forum

Question

Recording Programs on a Samsung Smart TV to a USB Drive.

by mike_epp / May 14, 2012 5:45 PM PDT

I have a Samsung Smart TV, Model No: UE40D6110, that has the capability of recording programs to a USB Memory Stick.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recording Programs on a Samsung Smart TV to a USB Drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recording Programs on a Samsung Smart TV to a USB Drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not here. This feature is not in the USA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

So we don't see the issues. Be sure to call it in to the local Samsung offices.

Collapse -
Answer
Writing speed
by Epikurosz / May 21, 2012 7:48 PM PDT

The writing speed of the pendrive must be at least 8 Mbps (but is better to have more than 10 Mbps).

Collapse -
Answer
Record to USB
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 22, 2012 1:34 AM PDT

mike_epp,

Given that this is a 2011 TV model manufactured for sale in Europe, we suggest you click on the link below and choose the associated page of your respective country from the list for further support. You might also find additional info in your product manual regarding this feature, but we can only support consumers with Samsung products based in the U.S.

http://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitcountrysite.html

Have a nice day,

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
um32eh5300F
by jchan463 / March 5, 2014 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Record to USB

I have a Samsung Smart TV model: UM32EH5300F and I've seen the video on the samsung website that shows you how to record tv onto a hard drive as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRzWoH0S10 but when I go into the AllShare Play App and scroll down to the bottom of the list on the left hand side, there is only My List, Videos, Photos and Music options. There is no Recorded TV option for me to click. Could someone please help me here?

Collapse -
Answer
Just another hint
by Epikurosz / June 16, 2012 4:59 AM PDT

Try connecting an external USB HDD to your TV, and recording on that. If it works, then surely your USB pendrive is to be blamed.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Cust Service
by magdasr / June 17, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

I called Samsung Cust. Serv. and got someone who seemed like he had no idea what I was talking about. I told him my TV Samsung 60ES8000 gives me a message that in order to record I need USB memory. He proceeded to tell me that my TV cannot record over the air programming. I am trying to record over the airTV shows and use my TV as a DVR/PVR. Is this not possible. I thought that was the purpose of recording to USB memory.

Collapse -
PVR from aerial broadcasts
by Epikurosz / June 17, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Cust Service

Actually, you can only record digital TV signals coming in through the antenna. This is because these data are alreday digitised (they are in mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 format), so a "dumb" TV can easily make a video file from them. The trouble is with other signals (analogous, IPTV etc.) Samsung would have needed to include a cheap video decoder-converter (think about the 35 dollar Raspberry Pi) for this purpose, and everyone would have been happy. But they were hurried.

Collapse -
PVR
by anatolych / August 5, 2012 7:31 AM PDT

Actually, for an unknown reason, the tv can only record on usb HDDs, not flash drives. That is stated in the manual which you can download from samsung website. I don't have one so cant confirm. Please post if it works for you.

Collapse -
Answer
Recording Programs on a Samsung Smart TV to a USB Drive.
by Mishegaas / August 10, 2012 2:33 PM PDT

I was told by Samsung that majority Memory sticks do not work well with the TVs because they are too slow for video real time recordings. It is not the size of the USB device, it is the speed.

I was told the TV will accept USB HDD up to 2TB but be aware that any HDD above 1TB needs an external power supply.

I use Seagate USB 1TB UDD and it works well. Also be aware that there is a bug in the firmware that will cause HDD failure after time. This can be "fixed" by re-formating the HD.

Collapse -
Recording via USB HDD Device
by nigelm1000 / August 15, 2012 5:42 AM PDT

Hi,
I note that you state that there is a known firmware issue that cause HDD failure after a time. This is really interesting....do you know if Samsung intend to fix this. I have lost alot of good recorded TV for this reason and am now reluctant to use it as eery now and again the TV fails to recognise my seagate (500gb) HDD thus driving me to reformat thus losing everything I had recorded. Have you found any way round this issue?

Thanks,

Collapse -
I have a verbatim 500GB HDD coming will this be ok to record
by goldenburm / August 19, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

do i have to have a specific samsung drive or will the verbatim 500gb work as well? i have tried 4 diff stick drives none work but i guess that was the write speed?

thanks for any help u can give

Peter

Collapse -
verbatim
by Epikurosz / August 19, 2012 6:03 PM PDT

Yes, it probably will be OK, but the TV will format it before use. So, don't store on it anything else.

Collapse -
Tv Formatting
by DarkAntics / December 19, 2013 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: verbatim

Will the TV format the disk automatically, or do i have to format it manually? Because I cannot find a place in any of the menus where it gives me the option to format the USB.

Collapse -
Auto
by Highland_Logan / December 19, 2013 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Tv Formatting

As soon as you attempt to Timeshift or Record, a popup will appear and ask you if you want to format the drive to do the function you requested. Once formatted, the drive can now only be used with the TV it was formatted for.

Frank

Collapse -
Answer
Smart TV and memory sticks
by mowgli31 / November 17, 2012 2:58 AM PST

Don't know if you got this one sorted. I had the same problem. Ploughing through the manual I found somwhere that it doesn't support memory sticks. Needs an external HDD apparently.

Collapse -
Answer
USB supported
by engotkaw / November 22, 2012 3:48 PM PST

Hey guys, I'm not sure what model my tv is but it's capable of recording a video. I just used it yesterday and my old USB doesn't work but the one I bought recently which is an 8GB Lexar 3.0 USB works great. It didn't encounter any problems so far. Maybe try and use a new USB which is a 3.0.

Collapse -
3.0 USB
by CMarr / May 22, 2013 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: USB supported

The first usb I tried in my tv worked, a cheap old 8GB one with no special attributes. I have recently been trying to get a bigger stick that was fast enough so I ordered a 64GB 3.0 USB by integral. However, the TV still says that this stick, and many others that I have tried, is too slow. Is it more the sticks ability to be formatted to the XFS format that matters, as this is what my stick that works comes up as? if so does anybody know if there is a way to cheat and force this upon the USB?

Collapse -
As far as I know
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2013 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: 3.0 USB

USB 3.0 might work, then again I hear reports it does not. Stick to USB 2.0 for the TVs.
Bob

Collapse -
bingo
by -NEXUS- / June 23, 2013 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: 3.0 USB

I've used an 8GB sony Flashdrive and worked perfectly - even though the TV says not fast enough. recently, after formatting the FD - the tv says no file or something like that.

It seems that even though some of these TVs aren't suppose to work the usb flashdrives and only HDD - they can and do work with an ordinary flashdrive.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung USB HDD requirements

Hi

This is what Samsung recommends

Subscribe to this article feed
Home >> Tutorials & How-To`s

Samsung TV FAQs
OCTOBER 25, 2012

Our Facebook page serves as a place where fans can learn more about Samsung Televisions and Home Theater Devices and engage with these products in a fun way, but it's also a forum where people can ask questions and seek support. Here are our answers to some of the most frequently asked questions on our page.

How do I clean my Samsung TV screen?

We typically recommend using a soft, lint-free, dry cloth to clean your TV. If you have any smudges, we suggest a cleaning solution like ScreenClean. Never use water or a wet cloth!

How do I upgrade my Samsung TV's firmware?

You can update your TV or Blu-ray Player's firmware directly on your device or by downloading an update to your computer and transferring to your device via USB. To check your TV or Blu-ray Player's upgrade status, press the MENU button on the remote. Select 'Support' followed by 'Software Upgrade.' You can then search for the latest upgrade or select 'By USB' to search for updates saved to your thumb drive.

After I updated my TV's firmware, some of my apps have disappeared from my Smart Hub. How do I get them to show up?

Sometimes apps may not show up immediately following a firmware upgrade. Try resetting your Smart Hub to see if that helps. To reset, open the Smart Hub's Settings Menu and select Reset.

How do I record on my Samsung Smart TV?

Recording is a feature that's available on many international models of our Samsung Smart TVs. To record, you'll need an HDD that's USB 2.0/5400 RPM. It will also need to read 34 Mbps and write 52 Mbps. Depending on your TV model, you can then record from your TV's scheduling menu.

http://www.samsung.com/global/article/articleDetailView.do?atcl_id=61618

Thanks

Collapse -
USB sticks
by fastrover / December 21, 2013 7:20 AM PST

I have recently bought a lexar v10 8gb TV said to slow but my lexar v10 32gb passed the test and works fine. And it was only cheap to buy online so some do work and some don't all depends on speed

Collapse -
For The Short Term
by Highland_Logan / December 21, 2013 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: USB sticks
[FAQs] Television : Q: Why does Samsung recommend USB HDD over USB memory for the TV's PVR function?

A: USB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) operate between 5400rpm (USB powered) - 7200rpm (AC powered), this means that they have a higher constant read and write, this is essential for the recording function, USB memory sticks on the other hand fluctuate greatly in their reading and writing capabilities, this makes them unreliable when it comes to purchasing a USB storage device for the TV's recoding function.

Most if not all USB sticks/flash drives, what ever you like to call them will work in the short term. But due to the above advice from Samsung, they will not work 100% of the time. You may turn on you TV and expect to see the show you set to record, only to find that it did not. You may try to watch a show that you know did record and find no connected source, and have to remove and plug back in your USB drive.

If you plan to use the TV's build in PVR/Timeshift functions, you should invest in a USB 2, 1TB or less USB powered HDD.

I use a 320GB Samsung S2. I have never had an issue with it dropping from source list, or not preforming a future recording task.

So if you plan to use "sticks" over an HDD, remember this is not an issue with Samsung, as they have recommended they not be used

Frank
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.