Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Recommended free supplement to MS Security Essentials

by psaulm119 / December 31, 2009 2:05 AM PST

I use Malwarebytes (pro version, that runs 24/7) on my laptop alongside MSSE. Someone I know is getting a new computer, and I'd like to recommend MSSE as their anti-virus, and would like them to use a second program for anti-spyware as well (even though MSSE also covers that). Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware require a paid subscription to do this. Is there a freeware program that does this? Eons ago I used Ad-Aware and Spybot. Do they run 24/7 at all? Are there better free options for what I'm looking for?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommended free supplement to MS Security Essentials
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommended free supplement to MS Security Essentials
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
free spyware
by davidwholt / January 1, 2010 1:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Antispyware with real-time protection
by Donna Buenaventura / January 3, 2010 2:12 PM PST

Ad-Aware is now offering real-time protection using Ad-watch Live. Ad-Aware is updated daily now (unlike before) and improved its detection against spyware and other malware ever since they released daily updates.

Spybot-S&D continue to offer real-time protection via TeaTimer, IE helper and Immunization components. The TeaTimer has improvement by providing non-paranoid option which means it will not alert you if the processes is known malicious. As to detection, Spybot-S&D still need more to do (daily updates for example to provide fast detection on threats).

Collapse -
Thanks. Adaware seems to be updated...
by psaulm119 / January 4, 2010 1:22 AM PST

more than Spybot so I'll look at Adaware.

Collapse -
You're welcome.. if ever...
by Donna Buenaventura / January 5, 2010 5:51 PM PST

you will have issue installing Ad-Aware v8.x, I suggest using Appremover (installation is not required. It's standalone program) from http://www.appremover.com to remove Ad-Aware, reboot then install AAW again. Not that everyone is seeing the first install issue but some. Using Appremover or Revo uninstaller often do some trick and I've tried Appremover.. it work without a glitch.

Collapse -
OK got that
by psaulm119 / January 7, 2010 12:45 AM PST

I haven't used Revo in a Windows install or 2, but it came in handy once or twice a while back.

Basically I'm ok on my box--I have MSSE and Malwarebytes--but in case my sister didn't want to pony up for MWB I wanted an app to recommend.

Collapse -
uninstallers
by davidwholt / January 7, 2010 4:36 AM PST

Hope this is not too far off topic,
you don't mind going down this rabbit trail.

I really like Revo's Advanced mode,
shows/let's me choose all kinds of files to remove
including registry entries
(don't know if AppRemover has similar feature).

What do you mean about stand-alone, no installation?

Download.CNET.com shows AppRemover file size 3.45MB
and Revo 1.06MB.

Collapse -
Standalone, no installation
by Donna Buenaventura / January 7, 2010 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: uninstallers

Hi David,

AppRemover don't have the many features by Revo. AppRemover will only uninstall security tools (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, anti-malware). Revo will uninstall any installed applications (any type as long as it detects it).
The only nice features in AppRemover is: standalone and it can remove multiple security programs in single session.

Standalone, no installation means it is portable, there is no need to install AppRemover. You can move Appremover.exe anywhere. It's filesize is higher than Revo because it requires no install which means the appremover executable have to be packed with needed components to run without installing to Windows.

Note that Revo have similar version: Revo portable edition (no install is needed).

Hope the above helps Happy

Collapse -
portable apps
by davidwholt / January 8, 2010 3:07 AM PST

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I was thinking you meant something akin to online scanners
that Panda and others offer.

Seems I've read opinion there's value in scanning for malware
from external drives such as USB storage devices;
programs onboard your C drive may be kept from catching things.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10074317-12.html?tag=mncol
Turn almost any app into a portable app

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.