Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

"Recommended for you" popup ads in the browser

by bistraz / April 12, 2012 4:10 PM PDT

Has anyone else seen this type of popup ads ?
They are called "Recommended for you" and have started appearing in my browser (Firefox) in the last week or so. They are always related to what I'm reading, for example an article in the New Yorker about people not marrying, got me an ad about Singles. Going on the CNet website, got me Computer help ad. The strange thing is that the link they send me to is the same as the webpage I am on, but with a "#" at the end of it. I run a full scan on Bitdefender and it found a few things which got deleted but the ads are still here.

I have googled the issue, but did not find anything yet.
Suggestions and solutions welcome, thank you.

bistraz has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Recommended for you" popup ads in the browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Recommended for you" popup ads in the browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Do you have an Internet Security Suite 2012?
by LucJPatenaude / April 15, 2012 7:03 AM PDT

If you do not, I strongly recommend that you get yourself one.

Once you do have one, download the latest protection definitions and, make a Deep scan that could take an hour or more to find and auto-delete these hacking files off your HDD.

Collapse -
Which Internet Security Suite 21012?
by hoghelmet14 / April 20, 2012 7:28 AM PDT

Which one?

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bistraz

Collapse -
How to block this the "Recommended for you" popup
by crispb69 / April 15, 2012 10:48 AM PDT

This pop-up has been driving me crazy and by chance I figured how how to block it using the Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox.

- Go to the Firefox add-on manager page and search for Adblock Plus and then select to install it.

- Once it has finished installing you need to restart your browser for ABP to take affect.

- Now go to a site that you know has the "recommended for you" pop-up and hit "ctrl+shift+v" or "right-click" on the "ABP" stop sign on your Firefox tool bar and click on "open blockable items"

- This will open a window that will show all the scripts and weblinks that are loading on the page you are viewing.

- Now in the "blockables" window that you just opened, look for this line ""

- "right click" on it and select "block this item..."

- This will open another window and click "Add Filter"

- hit "ctrl+shift+v" to close the "blockable editor window" and you are done.

So far it has been working for me so I hope this helps you all. It's really a shame that companies feel they have the right to invade our privacy like this.

Collapse -
Exactly the same issue
by bistraz / April 16, 2012 1:53 AM PDT

What was described in the last 3 posts is exactly what I was talking about. I have ABP already and I added the filter crispb69 suggested and it works! Thank you so much!!

I hope this thread can be helpful to others that are experiencing the same issue, as it's been so annoying.

Collapse -
what about IE9 users??
by thegigisup / April 16, 2012 5:50 AM PDT

what if your using IE 9. i have the latest version, and this thing is annoying! any tips on getting rid of this stupid pop up?? thanks!

Collapse -
Also appears to work in Internet Explorer
by MarissaKS / April 21, 2012 1:54 AM PDT

This also appears to work in Internet Explorer:

Go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, Content tab, click on Enable under Content advisor, click on Approved sites tab, in Allow this website type and then click never, and apply

Collapse -
Recommended for you solved!
by harneya / June 5, 2012 1:33 AM PDT

Now if someone can tell me how to rid my brower, IEx 9 on Vista, of redirects...

Collapse -
Redirects and its origins..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 5, 2012 4:34 AM PDT

Are you sure the redirects are caused by the origin of the "popups"? IF not, try scanning with the below to rule out various "unwanted visitors" known to cause "redirects": Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. Happy

Kaspersky's TDSSKiller - Instructions are listed below. (Additional instructions can be found here)

Hitman Pro - It's free to use without a license. If a virus is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat. Note: There are separate downloads for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
It works!
by jimmygrey / January 7, 2013 11:32 PM PST

Hi Thanks a lot! It really works so far. I tried many other ideas but none of them seem to work.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
by GeraldMFW / September 26, 2012 3:11 AM PDT

Simple fix and it works!

Collapse -
Re: ads
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 6:04 PM PDT

Did you check the list of plug-ins and extensions (both are accessible via Tools>Add-ons)? I don't exclude it's one of them that does this. Next to all items in those lists is a 'disable'-button.
Worth a try.

Collapse -
Recommended for you..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 13, 2012 8:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Recommended for you" popup ads in the browser
by bistraz / April 13, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Recommended for you..

No, I have not installed any ad-ons, it just started showing up all of a sudden. Seems like it started happening to others too but pretty recently, as I have found no solutions on the web. And the strangest thing is again, that it redirects me to the same website with # at the end, or to Google. I wonder if it's a Google thing...

Collapse -
May be Goggle
by bob b / April 14, 2012 12:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't think it is google
by PhilipWeiss / April 14, 2012 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: May be Goggle

I also have this weird thing in the corner. Sometimes it looks like a simple text box, and sometimes the text is inside of graphic of a generic smart phone that looks more like an iPhone than Android.

Also, I've got something on my computer that sometimes but not always interferes with me following links on google results. I get redirected to generic spammy link filled pages. Not sure if the two are related

Collapse -
I have this same problem running internet explorer....
by hoghelmet14 / April 20, 2012 7:27 AM PDT

So is it a virus or pop up.... anyone decided yet>?

Collapse -
Recommended for You pop-up
by Kenja824 / April 15, 2012 4:50 AM PDT

I have been looking this up. I spent all day yesterday thinking I had some spyware problems but no matter what I ran, it didnt get rid of it. I find it is a new widget being used on blogs and websites.

They try to pass it off as an "Elegant Slide out" rather than a pop-up and it is meant to keep people on your site longer. It is meant to slide out when you scroll so far down the page. The problem is once it slides out, it doesnt go away. You can minimize it "sort of" but it is still in the way too often. Some sites I go to are active x types (I think that is the problem) and it grows along the right side as soon as you open the page. It is larger than the page and you cant even reach the little "x" to minimize it (sort of).

This POP-UP really annoys me in a big way! We spent years dealing with pop-ups and now that we finally pretty much eliminated them, they try to push one on us as an "Elegant Slideout"? Personally I plan on leaving any site I go to that I see the POP-UP as soon as I see it. If enough people do that, they will see that the only reason it keeps people on their site longer is because they are trying to figure out how to turn the freaking thing off!

Collapse -
"Recommended for You" popup CURE
by cheriwasser / April 24, 2012 2:33 PM PDT

This was linked by another user - tried it and thank you so soooooo much MarissaKS works. I hate that damn thing and it was driving me nuts.......See below.

by MarissaKS - 4/21/12 8:54 AM

In Reply to: How to block this the "Recommended for you" popup by crispb69

Go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, Content tab, click on Enable under Content advisor, click on Approved sites tab, in Allow this website type and then click never, and apply

Collapse -
by kosai19 / April 17, 2012 8:56 AM PDT

I also had this problem and for many weeks it frustrated me. A post on this forum recommended that I try malware bytes, so I downloaded the the free version today, updated it, and ran a scan on my entire computer. I removed the items and had to reboot right after and presto, solved!

I tested the same pages that it would always pop-up on after loading the page or scrolling. I tried many more times to make sure, and sure enough it's gone.

I hope this helps the original person who posted. BTW, It was also an iPad looking widget that pops up at the bottom right. When clicking on the "x" it would shrink to a horizontal white bar with "Recommended for You." If you click any of the links it also goes to google and never to any of the suggestions. I have no idea where it came from, and like many others, I didn't make any major changes to my computer. It may very well be a java exploit of some kind; as suggested by another user. Whatever it was I'm happy malwarebytes solved.

Collapse -
by bistraz / April 17, 2012 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Solved

Thanks for your post, I guess that's another solution too.

Collapse -
Malware bytes scan didn't work
by mxxmiller / April 20, 2012 12:35 PM PDT

Tried Malware Bytes scan - latest update, full scan. Didn't find anything on my computer but I'm still seeing the "Recommended for You" slideout. Tried the other suggestion of using Ad Block Plus to set a filter on Google Analytics, but that didn't seem to work either. Now I'm trying an Ad Block Plus filter on *simplereach* based on the fact that appears to be behind the proliferation of these now "slide out" annoyances. So far, it's been quiet...

Collapse -
Blocking *simplereach* doesn't work either
by mxxmiller / April 20, 2012 12:37 PM PDT

...looks that that's not it either. Sigh...

Collapse -
by macD72365 / April 23, 2012 4:22 AM PDT

no good, i've run malewarebytes several times, plus ccleaner, and my antivirus. will not get rid of it.

Collapse -
Use the other solution
by bistraz / April 23, 2012 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: malwarebytes

What worked for me was to block it with Adblock Plus and I would recommend it.

Collapse -
CURE for "Recommended for You" popup
by cheriwasser / April 24, 2012 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Use the other solution

This was submitted by another user - I tried it and thank you so soooooo much MarissaKS works. I hate that damn thing and it was driving me nuts.......See below.

by MarissaKS - 4/21/12 8:54 AM

In Reply to: How to block this the "Recommended for you" popup by crispb69

Collapse -
Blocking Google-analytics stops some. Anyone know of others?
by mxxmiller / May 7, 2012 11:30 AM PDT

I set up a block for Google-analytics as per the chain above. I'm definitely getting fewer slide-ins but still some once in a while. Suspect another company is doing something similar and just need to figure out name to add to the block list. Anyone have the same experience?

Collapse -
Just a guess
by bob b / May 8, 2012 2:19 AM PDT

It's a guess because I don't see this problem.

Are you signed into Google?
If so.......sign out.

You don't need to be signed in to use the search feature.

Collapse -
Not logged in to Google
by mxxmiller / May 8, 2012 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a guess

I don't think so. When I navigate to the google home page, I see the sign-in button...

Collapse -
Adblock didn't work and blocking "
by SamIam19 / June 5, 2012 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Use the other solution

Use of Adblock and google-analytics block action didn't work. In fact the "recommended for You" popup showed up on the adblock test page - not even sure what adclock does - apparently very little. Finally took my notbook outside, laid it on my driveway, hit it with a 5 pound hammer - works great now - no more "recommended for you" popup. Sam

Collapse -
Google DNS
by buddhaa22 / April 28, 2012 5:17 AM PDT

This could be it.

As we were developing a new website for our client, we saw one of those our client adwords ads popping up on their own site. So now we know where their are coming from and who benefit from them.

After running a dns tool, my firewall popup a message about the dns server I was using on this computer. and - That's Google DNS server setting that I manually changed few month back for what I thought would be a speed improvement.

Putting 2 and 2 together, I rolled back to my ISP dns server and didn't get an ad since then.

It's been months that this thing drive me nuts; I registered to share this since no amount of tools will find this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.