E-readers forum

General discussion

by burbly / July 1, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

I'm looking to buy an e-reader, but I'm generally overwhelmed by the range of choice. Any advice would be very much appreciated... my criteria are:

-- I want something that can read a range of formats (including pdf)
-- I don't want to use wireless, simply to transfer files from my PC
-- I need something that will be readable under direct sunlight
-- I don't need a lot of storage capacity
-- I don't particularly need long battery life
-- I don't want something that is backlit (I find reading extensively on computer screens tiring)
-- I don't need any extra functionality
-- a 6" screen would be preferred but isn't absolutely necessary
-- I'm based in the UK, but I could order something from the US (especially if it works out cheaper)

I'd heard good things about the Sony e-readers, but some searching suggested that the 6" models have a problem with glare under bright lights. As I said, I would really appreciate any advice that you could give...

Thanks and best wishes,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So what you are asking for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2010 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Recommendation

Does such a thing exist? Here I have a Kindle and it's PDF support is not that great but the iPad fails you. But did you try it?

Collapse -
by burbly / July 2, 2010 5:57 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I've only tried a friend's Kindle (while visiting the States). That seemed fantastic, but as far as I could tell from searches it was fairly restricted to buying books from Amazon.

I haven't tried the IPad, but really I am looking for something cheaper -- I don't need the video playback functionality etc. etc. -- just something small I can read books on. The Sony readers (which another friend recommended) seem like they would be ideal except for the glare problem on the larger models. In the worst case I may buy a 5" Sony reader... but I thought that if I asked here someone might be able to suggest something better.

When you say, "Does such a thing exist?", I don't quite follow... is there a particular thing I ask for that is hard to find?

thanks and best wishes,

Collapse -
I read your list
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

And since I own the kindle and know it is not limited to amazon content the PDF support is tough on those that won't research it and try a few different methods. So it's likely off your list. I will likely get the ipad soon.

It's that or a droid (see google) thing. But my goals differ from yours. I need something I can put my apps on. No not other folk's apps, I really mean my apps. I wrote the code in C and other languages and it's really apps by me. The droid may win the next round.

And yes it appears what you are looking for may not be made yet.

Collapse -
Sony PRS-600 Touch
by Wulfbait / July 13, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Recommendation

I have a Sony PRS-600 Touch, and it seems to meet all the criteria you give except the backlight screen. You may want to re-think the backlit screen. Most e-book readers use "E-ink" which needs no backlight. A backlight would ware the battery out too fast, and really, when you read a paper bok you need light, right?. The Sony PRS 600 has a 6" screen and since the fonts are sizeable you can read it just fine under almost any light conditions. It loads all formats and does not use wireless. Also the price has just dropped to about $150 so it is a super deal. It has room for 350 books as it comes from the factory and it has slots for SD card and Sony's own memory card so you can expamd it to a rediculas size if you want.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.