Peripherals forum

General discussion

Recommend printers for heavy card stock

by roysimmons / October 7, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

I found a thread from 2006-7, but the one useful looking link was no longer available.

I am trying to print 12 point C1S stock on the uncoated side. The stock is 5.5 x 8.5". Right now it is for relatively small jobs and I have one I can't get done.

Previously I have used the Epson Stylus C86 which isn't supposed to print on that heavy of stock, but did - even with the occasional misfeed. They don't make the C86 anymore and the replacement, Workforce 40, won't feed a thing in the card stock line - even if I give it a push.

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommend printers for heavy card stock
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommend printers for heavy card stock
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use a Canon
by makoti / October 9, 2009 9:28 AM PDT

I'm not sure what weight the cardstock I use is, but I got one of the Canon Pixma printers and it works great with cardstock. I feed from the back tray, and the images look great. I use it to make CD covers, and they are a good deal heavier than "normal" cd covers (which are usually done on glossy paper). Not at home so I can't check the weight, sorry.

Collapse -
Roller wear
by rje49 / October 9, 2009 9:47 AM PDT

An factor to consider if you run a lot of heavy card stock would be more wear on feed & drive rollers. The first problem sign would be getting regular copier paper to go through properly.

Collapse -
priting thicker papers
by zepper / October 12, 2009 6:23 AM PDT

I have printed thick stock on my HP k5400 and on my older Canon iP models. It should work better on printers that have a straight through paper path (e.g. from the bin on the older Canon iP models). The HPs generally have U shaped paper paths which is not really well suited for thick stock, but the k5400 does have a special setting for thick stock in its driver setup though their specs claim only 11.8 mils (points) as max. IIRC, my older Canons also had a driver setting for thick stock. I'm not sure whether I've tried thicker than 11 mils though.
. I'd also consider potential wear on the mechanical components, so I'd put the paper through, wide side so the components get worn as evenly as possible or perhaps print a couple of copies on wide paper if they'll fit so as not to put uneven wear on the mechanicals.
. Get the straight scoop from the mfr's help line before buying anything, just to be safe have them verify compatibility via email for proof.

Collapse -
Thank you all!
by roysimmons / October 13, 2009 1:20 AM PDT

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give me their experience and suggestions. I will take it all into account as we make our decision.

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
You need an Intec printer
by intecprinters / August 18, 2011 12:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2011 10:24 AM PDT

For a moment I thought that was Initech. Too close in my book. Maybe they need to change the name?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.