Laptops forum

Recommend: Laptop for Site Engineer?

by timhcross / April 14, 2013 9:27 PM PDT

Hi forum,

I am a site engineer in Africa so have a rather odd set of requirements for my new laptop, any help would be great.
My requirements are:
600GB min Harddisk size
i5 or i7 or 3GHz Processor
15in screen
Num pad seperate on keyboard
Windows 7 + (not apple)
decent battery (>4hrs, length of a usual power cut)
2 x 3.0 USB, 1x 2.0 USB (4th would be better)
Runs Photoshop/ AutoCAD/ Solidworks fast. (6GB RAM perhaps?)

Tough to rough use and climate (working in dusty/sandy conditions and must survive bumpy transit)

My preference are:
Non reflective screen for outside use.
super reliable
around $750-1500
fingerprint sensor

My least important:

Any help welcome.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommend: Laptop for Site Engineer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommend: Laptop for Site Engineer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
About all I see that fits this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

Are the Panasonic ToughBooks. I'm sure folk will want all this for the price you listed but unless you change the specs, the nod is to the ToughBooks.

Collapse -
ah, maybe I was being picky
by timhcross / April 15, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

I realised that perhaps I overplayed how tough I needed it to be.
Really I guess the important thing is to have the other specs.
Is there a SSD laptop that can handle these big programs?

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

SSD is still at premium prices. Why must it be SSD? I know folk want that but with billions of hard drives that work just fine, I can't guess why that's in the list.

Collapse -
I heard it was better
by timhcross / April 15, 2013 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with no.

If that is the case about SSD then I have no problem with a normal harddrive, i have been carrying one around for years here. Just thought if that was the way things were going better to go there.

Is there any other laptops you could recommend as reliable for the specs that I would like?

Thanks again

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I heard it was better

Sorry but reliable has me back to Panasonic ToughBooks and maybe Apple laptops. I find most laptops to be 2 to 4 year affairs and rarely more. To be more reliable I have to dismiss the usual virus damage and battery age issues before I talk about reliability.

The ASUS K55N-DS81 is an interesting unit. What do you think?

Collapse -
by timhcross / April 17, 2013 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: "reliable"

The tough books are too small a screen for large engineering programs. It is really fiddly looking round a big technical drawing with a touch pad anyway especially when the screen is small too.

I was thinking of something with a bit more juice than the ASUS K55N-DS81

How do you think it compares with say Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5148
The spec seems to be alot higher for a relatively small price jump.

I don't know much about AMD vs Intel. Should I just compare based on Hz or is it a bit more subtle than that?

Also the Dell Inspiron 15z Ultrabook, Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 or Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 215168U

They all seem reasonable in terms of spec. But how else to compare?

Collapse -
Compare by reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Reliable

Find the CNET and Notebookcheck reviews but the words you are using have some very well defined meaning. Once in a while a member will use words like durable and reliable but didn't really mean what the words meant. I can't guess they mean other than what we find in a dictionary. Sorry about that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.