Storage forum

General discussion

Recommend Lab for Portable Hard Drive data recovery

by peaofsweetness / March 20, 2011 10:28 PM PDT

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help me.

I have a Packard Bell Store and Save 3500 portable hard drive.

It recently just stopped working. A general IT guy had a look, but recommended that I find a lab with a clean room to recover the data.

Can anybody recommend a good reliable yet affordable company?

I've read some horror stories about some of the companies advertising on the web.

Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recommend Lab for Portable Hard Drive data recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recommend Lab for Portable Hard Drive data recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I find that
by tinman1275 / March 25, 2011 12:49 PM PDT

most of the external drives I have had to work on it is the enclosure that is the problem, take it apart and install the hard drive into your computer directly as a slave and they usually work fine.

Collapse -
data recovery
by rmf / March 25, 2011 12:52 PM PDT

Ontrack is probably the mother of all data recovery outfits. It's been around a long time. Won't be cheap, though.

Collapse -
Recommend Lazarus Data Recovery for recovering data
by NorthBeachnik / March 25, 2011 3:18 PM PDT
http://www.lazarus.com/
I've used Lazarus twice and my partner has used them once. They're experienced, knowledgeable, honest. Some of their clients have included (according to their website): Hewlett Packard, Apple, Disney, FedEx, M.I.T., and NASA. They're not cheap but no competent data recovery service is. Customer service is great, too! You'll feel like you are their only customer when you send your computer to them. I live in San Francisco so I've visited their unmarked facility. I can't say enough about how much I think of the quality of their work.
http://www.lazarus.com/
Collapse -
Recommend Lab for Portable Hard Drive data recovery
by jdoson77 / February 9, 2012 7:41 PM PST

Hi :),
Laptop hard drive recovery is possible using good hard drive recovery software. Even I faced the same situation few days back but I was able to get back all my files from hard drive using Remo Recovery Software. I suggest you to use the same. You can download the free demo version of this recovery tool and check for the recovery results.

Collapse -
hard drive data recovery
by mylovem / March 14, 2012 5:20 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.