Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

recognizing special characters in filenames

by Anamacha / September 23, 2005 1:36 PM PDT

I'm migrating from a Mac running OS 9 to a PC running windoes XP Pro. I've got a burner on my mac, and I'm using it to copy files over, as a recent lightning strike destroyed my mac's networking capability.

Unfortunately there are some special characters getting inserted into the filenames on my mac, like the anglebrackets '>'. And when I'm trying to copy files, my PC craps out on these characters, after making a partial copy -- I don't know what it's copied and what it hasn't.

I'm also finding that I can't copy certain files to my hard drive ... I can't right click on them, I can't do anything with them. Sometimes thse are the files with special characters in their names, and sometimes they're not.

So is there something that will allow me to work with these files? It's not a FORMAT issue; I'm reading the disc just fine.

thanks!

Anam

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: recognizing special characters in filenames
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: recognizing special characters in filenames
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Themisive / September 24, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

your mobo is more robust that the printed circuit board in your burner.

I'm afraid that you're just going to have to copy over what you can, and then re-invest in a complete new system, because you've got problelms with the rest of it as well, that's why you're having trouble saving the files as well.

You could try using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on the XP Pro, but I'm not sure it would take data from a Mac.

Collapse -
What I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

I use a common CD format called ISO 9660 when I need to interchange MAC and PC via CD/DVD media.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Collapse -
not the problem
by Anamacha / September 30, 2005 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: What I use.

that's not the problem -- I can READ the CD just fine. It's that my pc won't allow me to work with files that have special characters in them, whereas the mac will.

I guess I'm looking for something like MacLink Plus -- I think that's the name of it. That's a program that translates PC files into mac readable format. It's not really necessary now, but it's from the days when Macs and PCs didn't talk all that well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.