Storage forum

General discussion

Recently installed second (slave) hard drive now missing

by colopho / June 24, 2006 3:13 PM PDT

Windows 98SE
Dell Pentium Dimension XPS 500 Desktop
Original master hard drive 13GB
Installed second hard drive 80GB about 45 days ago.

Only now, the second hard drive is not showing up in "My Computer" and all software installed on that 2nd hard drive is not working as computer is not recognizing that the 2nd drive exists.

I did NOT install any new software today or add any new hardware. I did do a hard shutdown earlier today as the computer was hanging on shutdown and now the 2nd drive is "missing".

How can I get this back, hopefully without losing all the data stored on it. Please HELP!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recently installed second (slave) hard drive now missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recently installed second (slave) hard drive now missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the BIOS show the drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 11:50 PM PDT

The details such as this are missing in your post. Also, drives do tend to vanish. Backups are not optional yet when we use a hard disk.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How do I check the BIOS for the missing drive?
by colopho / June 25, 2006 5:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, have now been able to check BIOS and drive is shown
by colopho / June 25, 2006 7:47 AM PDT

Was able to check BIOS after looking up how to get to and check BIOS on this site. Under Advanced, IDE devices, the second hard drive IS shown in BIOS (although not in "My Computer")as the Primary IDE Slave [ST380011A-(PS)]. The first hard disk (which does show in "My Computer") is also shown in BIOS as Primary IDE Master [IBM-DJNA-371350-(PM)].
Why does the slave drive show in BIOS but not on my computer - how can I fix this, please.

Collapse -
Since it's Windows 98SE I'd try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

SCANDISK. Forget booting Windows, just tap the F8 key and head straight to DOS. Type SCANDISK followed by the drive letter you used to use for that drive.

What happens?

Look up PC FILE INSPECTOR and see what it reports.

In closing, try another usual cure of shutting down, open the case and gently pushing in the connections.

Bob

Collapse -
ScanDisk cannot examine Drive D
by colopho / June 26, 2006 5:19 AM PDT

Got to DOS, typed SCANDISK D per your instructions and received the message:

ScanDisk cannot examine drive D.

What next?

Collapse -
What next? Continue with what I noted. Here it is again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2006 6:53 AM PDT

"Look up PC FILE INSPECTOR and see what it reports.

In closing, try another usual cure of shutting down, open the case and gently pushing in the connections.

Bob"

Collapse -
Gently pushing in the connections!
by themadartist / January 28, 2009 2:48 AM PST

MAN, Bob!
Thank you eternally! That WORKED, saving me downtime, money- and HAIR!
Lemme know if you ever need a cartoon or illustration!

Mike the Mad Artist
theMadArtist.org

Collapse -
That advice is timeless BUT time marches on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 4:36 AM PST

My software do it yourself recovery list has changed over the years so thanks for the kind words and post a new post or check newer posts for new recovery software titles.
Bob

Collapse -
If you had Norton GoBack installed in the computer....
by charismatoburn / June 30, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

If you had Norton GoBack installed in the computer where the slave drive came from , this would be the problem.

Just install Norton GoBack in the master drive and MY COMPUTER will see the slave drive.

Took me 1 f***ing day to figure this out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.