Laptops forum

General discussion

Recently bought laptop running slowly

by tobymcgrail / September 11, 2011 1:20 PM PDT

The laptop is an Asus X53E (3GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor) running on Windows 7.
I bought it two days ago and at first it was running fine but now it's taken a sharp downturn. I looked at the task manager performance tab and it seems that even when I haven't got any programmes opened the 'Physical Memory Usage' is being strained and there is no free memory.
Since getting the laptop I've downloaded/installed quite a few programmes but no more than I had on any desktop before (Firefox, Chrome, Skype, Football Manager 2011, AVG, Counter Strike: Source, Spotify) and I don't see why it is running so slowly to do simple tasks such as opening 'My Computer'.
How can I reduce the amount of Physical Memory being used? (I'm a computer newbie)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recently bought laptop running slowly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recently bought laptop running slowly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Work backwards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2011 2:56 PM PDT

Uninstall stuff that you installed since you got it.

Collapse -
Same problem here!
by johnmaher / December 23, 2011 7:43 AM PST

I have also just bought the Asus X53e (3Gb RAM, Intel i5, Windows 7).... and I have to say that I am not overly-impressed with the speed... I have a MacBook Pro running a dual-core 2.4Ghz Intel processor and with 4Gb of slower DDR3 RAM - and it seems much, much faster.

Collapse -
Link to review. The news is not good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2011 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem here!
Collapse -
Not exactly the same.... but fairly similar...
by johnmaher / December 23, 2011 3:48 PM PST

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I read a similar review (maybe even the same one!) after I had bought and set up the machine... and my heart sank!
However, it is not the same machine.... and some of the faults in the review have been addressed in this updated version.
It runs i5-2430 (a tad faster)
It has USB 3.0
It has bluetooth 3.0.
I am not using it for gaming, and the battery life advantages of Sandy Bridge are useful for me.
It only has 3Gb RAM.
The Windows Experience Index is better, giving an overall score of 5.5 (the RAM), a Graphics score of 5.7 (for Windows Aero), a hard disc score of 5.9.
Where it is slowest is on booting up. The Intel rep suggested that this is because it has to load a relatively large number of programmes (many of which are Asus versions of tasks that Windows 7 should be able to perform by itself - or which are not strictly necessary). Like you, he suggested deleting many programmes....
I have deleted all the pre-installed games, for instance, and the machine is still running 120 / 121 processes.
He felt increased RAM would help ease the loading up burden on booting up - but he felt 8Gb was way too much. He felt 4Gb was all I would need. The only reason I has for suggesting 8Gb was that the price of 2 x 4Gb sticks was very similar to the price I would pay for installing 6Gb - and even not much more than installing a matching 1 x 2Gb to take the RAM up to 4Gb.
I bought the machine because it was cheap and seem to have good specs. I have a dual-core Vista (one of the very early ones) which is running painfully slowly - and an Asus ultra-low voltage dual core netbook running Windows 7 (which has become even slower than the Vista machine). Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro is not entirely successful. I need Windows for all the legacy software I have (plus - I have been using Windows for years and years... and old habits die hard). But the MaCBook Pro on OSX easily outstrips the Asus, despite having a lower spec.
I think the Intel rep wanted me to try a clean install of Windows from a disc because he was suggesting I remove as much of the pre-installed software as possible. Using System Restore would simply re-install it all, I think....

Collapse -
The peril of posting in some old thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2011 12:15 AM PST

Sorry but I have unsubscribed and await a new post with the details.
Bob

Collapse -
Another suggestion
by johnmaher / December 23, 2011 8:06 AM PST

I checked the prices of RAM for this machine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.