Computer Help forum

Recent downloads disappearing from WMP12

by Shonabear / February 13, 2013 12:06 AM PST

I'm in the process of uploading songs onto my computer in an effort to get rid of a chunk of my massive cd collection. I noticed that as of 2/6/13, everything that I've uploaded is no longer showing up in WMP. The files are still on my hard drive, thank goodness, but I cannot get them to show up in WMP even though I used WMP to upload them. It doesn't matter whether I upload from a cd or download from the internet (tried this just to see what would happen); nothing is sticking.

I've also noticed that I cannot delete anything currently in the WMP from 2/3/13 to 2/5/13, and that WMP cannot find the files for the songs uploaded during this time. Prior to that date all is fine.

The only link I can make to the timing is that I last ran a backup on 2/2/13, but do this at least twice a month and have never had it affect WMP before.

Clearly there is some kind of corruption going on, and the obvious solution would be to rebuild the music library. But I've had to do this twice in the past year, losing all my ratings & personalized information each time, and with over 10K songs it is much too time consuming and painful an undertaking to do again! So if anyone has suggestions for things I can do to possibly (hopefully) find/fix the problem, I would be truly grateful.

WMP version 12, Windows 7 Professional. 32-bit OS. Also, there is no question that WMP is set to automatically add these and all uploaded songs.

Thank you!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Recent downloads disappearing from WMP12
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Recent downloads disappearing from WMP12
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I'd keep an eye on these links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 12:10 AM PST
Collapse -
thanks for trying!
by Shonabear / February 13, 2013 12:37 AM PST

Hi Bob,
Unfortunately the first link is to my posting of this very question on the site. I posted it yesterday but never got a response, which is why I posted it here today.

The other link is certainly similar enough to keep an eye on. I did previously attempt to do the same deleting & reinstalling of files as he described but it didn't work.

Thanks for taking the time to find these & respond. I've spent quite a bit of time these past few days searching online for answers & trying different things without any success. I really need to fix this, so hope you and others will join in with more suggestions!

Collapse -
Since the localdata delete didn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: thanks for trying!

You may be in one of those rough areas about file permissions. That is, if any title is not in your own folder you read where WMP runs afoul of file permissions. Find the missing item with Explorer then one that works and compare the "ACL" with tools and methods I'll link to in a bit.

It's a shame you didn't tell what you tried because if you don't then folk may repeat the usual answer. Now that you told me you did the localdata delete I'm thinking ACL issues. But here's the rub. I can't fix that for you. It's user unfriendly to say the least.

There's a reason I don't use WMP. This is one of them.

Once in a while a member will lash out about Microsoft's apps, demanding others fix such for them. But as you suspect, even Microsoft can't seem to fix this one.

Collapse -
thanks again for trying!
by Shonabear / February 13, 2013 3:01 AM PST

Thanks Bob. I didn't download any programs to do it, but did open and inspect all aspects of permissions (and everything else) within properties and everything is identical. I compared working & nonworking songs from the same and different locations, checked every advance & edit subfolder, but there are no differences as far as the properties & permissions go.

This is so frustrating! Why would an update cause WMP to go so haywire? I did everything the same as I always do. Nothing was moved outside of the music folders. Yet somehow WMP has stopped responding to all new files added into the music library since the update. Adding insult to injury, WMP just added my entire library of itunes podcasts (usually it will only add new ones, but I've never understood why it adds them at all).

I read through the entire second link you provided, about the missing video files, and he fixed it by resetting the library. This is exactly what I am hoping to avoid, having already done this twice in the past year. I suspect it's going to be the only solution, but am still holding onto hope that someone may read this and offer a different one.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Too many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 5:19 AM PST

You did share a few clues.

1. You seem to have the collection in many places.
2. (guessing here) Video files are the ones that vanished.

The video clue is the best one. We know that WMP leans and depends on CODECS so if a codec has failed, the files that used that CODEC may vanish from WMP.

Take a good video and a missing one and see what CODEC is required. I'm going to note MEDIA INFO (see google) as one of the possible tools along with CODEC SNIPER to kill off the old CODEC and then go get a new one.

-> Again, all this is user unfriendly and I hope you see I'm dancing as fast as I can. Wish the maker of this system would try as hard.

Collapse -
Music files only
by Shonabear / February 13, 2013 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Too many reasons.

Hi Bob,
I don't have any video files at all on my computer, only music. As I stated at the beginning of my first message, I've been uploading tracks from cds in an effort to rid myself of at least a portion of my truly massive cd collection. I only mentioned video because one of the links you provided was from someone who had a similar problem except his was with video files.

I keep all of my music files in one main folder ("music") with about 12 sub-folders inside. All 10K+ song files, nice and tidy and in one place.

Hope this helps! It's not that I'm purposefully holding information back, I guess I'm just not explaining things the right way, for which I apologize. I appreciate all your time and efforts, more than you know!

Collapse -
That's a large collection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Music files only
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.