TVs & Home Theaters

Resolved Question

Receiver / Speaker Pairing

by penti01 / December 27, 2011 9:16 PM PST

If a receiver that's rated 110w per channel (8 ohms) is paired with a speaker that has a recommended amp power of 20-275w per channel, will it just sound like a smaller speaker that's has a recommended amp power of 20-150w per channel since the receiver can only out 110w per channel?

ie. Will a Onkyo NR709 (110w) paired with a Polk TSi500 (20-275w) sound the same as a Polk TSi300 (20-150w)?

Thanks in advance. An explanation on how receivers and speakers work is a greatly appreciated bonus. Happy

penti01 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receiver / Speaker Pairing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receiver / Speaker Pairing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by penti01

Collapse -
In a nutshell
by Pepe7 / December 27, 2011 10:39 PM PST

Look at the impedance rating too, which is arguably more important than the power ratings. 6 ohm speakers can place a lot more demands on an amplifier, which is why it's important to match the impedance of receiver w/ speakers. In general, this means 8 ohm speakers w/ 8 ohm amp.
Since the 110W rating is per channel, you can normally use each speakers power handling rating as a comparable figure. A speaker rated at150W or 275W can handle output from a receiver putting out 110W per channel. Just don't run any system at maximum volume levels. This means keep the teens/kids away from it ;).
Between the above speakers, the 500s will have a lot more bass response than the more entry level 300s IME.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention
by penti01 / December 27, 2011 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: In a nutshell

Forgot to mention that the rated 110w was at 8ohms, which is also the impedance of the speaker..
Considering what you mentioned, that my amp can only go 110w and the speaker is able to go as high as 275w, does this mean that I should only play the speakers at a maximum volume of 40% (110 / 275) or would only be using 40% of its 'potential'? Also, other than bass response, the 500s won't make much difference off the 300s because of the limitation of the amp? I'm planning on setting up a 10in sub with 2 pairs of TSi200s for surround, so the bass response needed could also come from the sub..
Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Not a one-for-one comparison
by Pepe7 / December 28, 2011 3:03 PM PST
In reply to: Forgot to mention

There's probably some sort of curve involved, so it wouldn't be a straight percentage/ratio as you've suggested. Running the system for lengthy periods at high volume levels is always done with some amount of caution.

Where the electrical energy turns into mechanical energy (the SPEAKERS) is where the rubber hits the road. In this sense, it's where you will hear the improvement right away.

Don't forget about adding a center channel for dialogue ;).

Collapse -
Oh
by penti01 / December 28, 2011 5:35 PM PST

That's good to know.. So there's no problem with my set-up then.. Already had an in-wall entertainment console made for the speakers, so it'll ruin the wall if I suddenly change them now..

Also, I've never really paired an amp with speakers, so this is a noob question, but the speakers get power from the amp, right? So no additional AC power outlet needed for each speaker? Is this the same for subs?

Thanks.

P.S. Yeah, gonna get the Polk CS20 center speaker, forgot to mention.. Silly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.