TVs & Home Theaters forum

Receiver & cable box not getting along with HDMI

by madiny / February 28, 2012 2:07 AM PST

I have a Pioneer 1021K receiver and a Samsung Time Warner cable box connected via HDMI and to my Samsung TV via HDMI. I have lots of trouble between them. 1) I have to reset and reboot the box constantly to get ondemand 2) Certain HD channels refuse to play properly. usually the same ones like My9 and TNT and TBS. I have to watch in analog. 3) it takes forever(a few seconds blinking on and off) for an HD channel to load. Time Warner admitted there are sometimes issues talking to the receiver. The box will not reboot properly if the HDMI cable is plugged in. Also the picture is brighter if I go direct to TV but I have surround sound for a reason. This is my 8th box so don't suggest getting another box.

Anyone have any solutions? Is there another setup I can try and still get full surround sound. I know nothing about optical sound. Is that an option?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Receiver & cable box not getting along with HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Receiver & cable box not getting along with HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
My question is simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2012 2:16 AM PST

If the gear does not work for you, why not take it back for another make or model?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you tried...
by Pepe7 / February 28, 2012 3:34 AM PST

...HDMI (or component) from cable box to HDTV, then digital optical to receiver? Some systems allow this hookup. YMMV.

All Answers

Collapse -
try this
by Arcticbear84 / March 5, 2012 11:40 PM PST

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem. But I have similar unstable HDMI video before. What I did was turn off the CEC in the TV setting. And that solved the problem.

Collapse -
by madiny / March 6, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: try this

Thanks fr responding but what is the CEC? I have moved audio to be the only connection to the receiver and that has helped but the channels are still very slow to change and blink on and off until they tune in.

Collapse -
by ShowMeCables_Drew / April 9, 2012 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: CEC?

The CEC allows HDMI devices to control each other when necessary and allows the user to operate multiple devices with one remote control handset.

Find additional info here:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.