Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

receipt scanning software like Neat

by Walking Dude / November 22, 2010 12:39 PM PST

I have a scanner, so I don't need anything linke the Neat Scanner. But looking for a software program for win7 64, that will do the same as the Neat machine. Purchase or shareware, no matter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: receipt scanning software like Neat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: receipt scanning software like Neat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you tell more about your requirements.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 22, 2010 5:44 PM PST

Not everybody here knows what the Neat machine does. Moreover, can a program do the same as a machine ("looking for a program that will do the same as the machine").

Kees

Collapse -
The Neat Machine
by Walking Dude / November 23, 2010 1:22 AM PST
Collapse -
I agree, google is your friend.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: The Neat Machine

Did you search for such software already?

Kees

Collapse -
Search Google
by Walking Dude / November 23, 2010 7:38 AM PST

as you saw in my reply above, google is your freind.....

yes i did a search. Thought here at cnet, that would be a easy find.

Collapse -
Re: easy find
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 3:55 PM PST
In reply to: Search Google

We'll see.

Collapse -
Seriously?
by misstomrstodr / January 7, 2013 7:25 AM PST

Is it that much of a problem to give the guy an answer? Or if you don't have one, not post at all.

Collapse -
What I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 5:57 AM PST

I have expense reports and simply scan my receipts with a scanner and pop them into a big old word document.

But I do a few things to cut the bulk down. Here's my short list:

1. Scan in BW.
2. Crop the images.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
software
by Walking Dude / November 23, 2010 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: What I use.

watching the commercials on the Neat machine, its software had premade areas to put stuff. This is what i am trying to find. Not looking for shareware, I will buy. But I would of thought if the Neat Machine has this software, its got to be out there somewhere. But in all my searching, didn't really find what i was looking for.
Hoping someone had already did this with their machine

Collapse -
I might be able to explain this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: software

If you used any old scanner it is impossible to predict how the scanner will be set or react to commands. Windows never offered an unified scanner API so my bet is that the integration NEAT offers is why it works and others failed to get the act together.

Maybe it's worth buying but for my expense reports I have my system all figured out and use no additional software.
Bob

Collapse -
Seriously?
by waynev95376 / March 5, 2012 2:01 PM PST

Too many people are answering questions different than the one being asked. This isn't very productive. The question (re-phrased) might be:

Is there any digital fililing cabinet software similar to the NeatWorks software that is independent of a specific piece of hardware?

Guessing, specualting, talking about WIndows Drvers for scanenrs, etc., isn't helpful. Neither are answers from people who have no idea what Neat Hardware/Software does. If you don't have a reccomended candidate, or want to debate the question, you aren't being helpful.

Doing the same process by hand is missing the point. (The people who gave those answers are idiots.

Collapse -
Read this and came away
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: Seriously?

Well, it seems you are ready to throw barbs are others that discuss why Neat was able to offer a packaged solution.

I offered that and the system I use. Why didn't you share your solution?
Bob

Collapse -
Looking for the same answer.
by waynev95376 / March 6, 2012 1:33 AM PST

I cam across this thread, looking to ask the exact same question. I realize I was impatient and rude, and I apologize for that. While not making an excuse, but an explanation, it's often frustrating when searching through various forums to find people trying to be helpful, but doing so by invalidating or ignoreing the original questions, and answering another question altogether.

In looking at the various advertisements and reviews for the neat scanner, the software is what stands out. The scanner itself has a few neat (no pun intended) features, but seems expensive, for what it is. This could be a function of the bundle, of course.

I think the obstacles associated with developing this kind of software are really not the issue, when someone asks a question like this. Debating how hard it might be to handle every kind of scanner device is almost meaningless to anyone who might ask. Also, I can't speak for the person who originally asked, but I know how to do all of the steps that the NeatWorks software does, i.e. scan, crop, OCR, save, and organize. But if you are asking for a turnkey software solution for managing all of your documents electronically, isn't the answer "I jsut scan it, crop it, and save it..." really just answering a different question?

Collapse -
REALLY?
by waynev95376 / March 5, 2012 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: What I use.

Well, you are a boob. The person who asked the question was not asking how to use a scanner, he wants some turnkey solution for a digital filing cabinet.

Collapse -
I read it again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: REALLY?

They want the Neat system but not from Neat.

In attempting to explain why this integration was the way it was, some may take offense it seems.

Why didn't you help them find a solution?
Bob

Collapse -
You didn't
by misstomrstodr / January 7, 2013 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: I read it again.

And you didn't offer that solution. Scanning an image and cropping it isn't the same as converting an image into a searchable document or .PDF and then being able to arrange your scans by its content. Relax, dude.

Collapse -
receipt scanning software like Neat
by glukemitch / January 21, 2012 2:20 AM PST

Did you ever locate this software? i have also been looking for it. I would like to use my own scanner. Please let me know if you found a solution.

Collapse -
I, too, am looking for software like Neat Receipts
by krkos / March 29, 2012 9:11 AM PDT

I have a scanner and a mountain (seriously) of receipts. I would rather sit and scan them, categorize them, and then throw them away. Instead, I just throw them into a big pile. Has ANYONE found the software to use with a regular scanner to use with windows? Buying the software is most likely cheaper than spending $400 on a scanner and software like Neat has.

Collapse -
Have any at this link come close?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 9:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
This is what I found
by elysianarcadia / April 8, 2012 5:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks!
by lkhemani / May 26, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: This is what I found

elysianarcadia, thanks for answering the question. i'm also looking for receipt recognition and filing software and this is very helpful!

Collapse -
A possible solution to what you're looking for
by misstomrstodr / January 7, 2013 7:47 AM PST

I came across this because I am looking for something other than Neat for my father's birthday present. Neat has terrible reviews online and they're way too overpriced for what they offer.

I finally came across this - http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/608052-0-0-39-121.html
Since most HP scanners come with optical character recognition (OCR) software, it can make .pdf and word documents from your scanned images that are searchable just like Neat says that they can be. The only problem is that it won't necessarily keep everything in one program like the Neat Software will, but that's OK.
You can utilize Evernote, Dropbox or Skydrive (all free) and make these digital 'file drawers' on your computer to save and upload somewhere. If the information is sensitive, you could look into storing this information with something like Cryptoheaven or similar online encrypted storage companies.

The cheapest scanner I just found from HP is about $110 on their website, possibly cheaper in Staples or Office Max depending on promotions. But to me, it's worth the savings and also worth not getting messed up with Neat. best of luck to you - http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-Scanjet-and-HP-Fax/L2698A?HP-Scanjet-G3110-Photo-Scanner
Sincerely,
Christina

Collapse -
Software similar to Neatscanner
by Jacques_Class / June 15, 2013 9:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
I use Quicken for financial records and
by wpgwpg / January 7, 2013 7:54 AM PST

When I get a bill, I use Quicken Deluxe to pay it, make a permanent record of it, pay the bill online, and normally throw the bill in the trash after that. If I get something I want to save on my hard drive (which is rare), I use my inexpensive Canon Lide 50 scanner I bought for $50, and it will allow me to tell it where to save scanned items or default to the last place I saved something. For surgery related bills I use a manila folder, label it with a magic marker, and save the paper bill in it rather than throwing it in the trash. With Quicken I have categories for every common type of bill, so I can quickly get a report for each category including my wife's back surgery or my son's plastic surgery. The online bill payment can be free with a lot of banks, but there're for fee services available as well. With Quicken you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I think I paid $60 for it; I upgrade every 3 years.
This system has worked so well for me since 1991, I have difficulty understanding why someone would want to pay $250 for a Neat scanner or another application to do what it does. Maybe someone will enlighten me about that, but for now I couldn't be more satisfied with what I've got. YMMV

Collapse -
used to use msn money
by JMSZAM / January 30, 2013 7:52 PM PST

sounds like a good system, but my guess is you use cash for your day to day purchases? I use a debit card for all purchases and end up with piles of receipts. I like to categorize what I buy, but it is needless to say time consuming. finding dates, amounts, etc. so i usually just let them pile up until the bank statement comes to reconcile!

anyways, I just tried the windows version of paperless by mariner software. It was a bust. The interface was confusing, (i did read the instructions).. and i didn't see the program trying to 'learn' anything from my inputs. ocr spit out jibberish. Too bad, it looked like what we needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.