Computer Newbies forum

Question

Rebuilding a Computer?? Total Newbie!

by Aliceandria / February 5, 2013 1:24 AM PST

Hi there!

I've recently gotten interested in rebuilding a computer.. (For gaming....) I have an old PC, but want to rebuild since there is something wrong with the hard drive, or memory, I'm not sure which..

I've never built my own computer before, but love doing things like this.

What do I do?! Where is a good place too start? Can I reuse parts from my old computer? I absolutely loved the monitor.. I just don't know how to tweak the tower? (I'm so new to this I don't even know what to ask!)

Here is the info for my old computer:
Compaq Presario PC
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4800 dual core processor
Memory: 3 GB
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Optical Drive: DVD/CD burner with LightScribe Technology
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics

WINDOWS VISTA

And then I just have a staples LCD monitor...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rebuilding a Computer?? Total Newbie!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rebuilding a Computer?? Total Newbie!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can salvage these parts
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 1:35 AM PST

The hard drive, DVD burner, and monitor are salvageable. For the rest I'd visit Tomshardware.com for a recommended configuration. You'll need a new case, power supply, motherboard, CPU, video card, and RAM. Be careful not to skimp on the power supply.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks. Anything else?
by Aliceandria / February 5, 2013 5:02 AM PST

Thank you! Is there anything else? Is it possible to save the original tower, and swap out parts? Or is that not even an option?

Collapse -
You might be able to save the tower
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks. Anything else?

If you get a compatible mobo, you might be able to save the tower, but I'd sure want to put in a new power supply. The reason I say MIGHT be able to save it is that sometimes manufacturers use towers customized so that some other mobos won't fit. I ran into that with a Gateway desktop once. Bare towers aren't that expensive, I think I paid $40 for one a couple of years ago, so it's not too expensive if you have to buy one.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Be carefull
by DerekRose81 / February 10, 2013 5:46 PM PST

My friend have started this challenge but the result it hasn't been positive because it has been very expensive and the installation of hardware is getting wrong. Be carefull.

Collapse -
Answer
If you change the motherboard
by James Denison / February 10, 2013 6:54 PM PST

You may not be able to reload the Vista system on it from scratch if the need arises. Also need to check if it's a BTX instead of an ATX case if you want to put a new motherboard into the same case. BTX is a reverse board from the ATX. Some OEM's like to use BTX case and motherboard since it's NOT industry standard and keeps customers coming to them for a new motherboard.

You can search for memtest or another test program for the RAM. I'd open the case up and make sure the RAM is fully seated still, it might have come loose.

If you run DEFRAG set to check for bad spots you can check the drive. Also drive manufacturers have testing programs on their sites you can download to test the drive.

How much could you upgrade that system anyway? From an x2 to an x4? Maybe add another 1GB of RAM? Cruise the computer and networking section of EBay to get ideas of what you really want to do, and if maybe you are better off sticking with what you have and solve whatever problem you currently have with it.

Collapse -
Answer
Helpful website
by mikem001 / February 21, 2013 9:29 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.