Computer Help

Question

Rebit and Crashplan backups?

by rugby_mad01 / September 19, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

Hi, I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 8 PC (Gateway DX4860-UB2B-Windows 8 - 3.4GHz Intel® Core™ i3 - 6GB memory, max 32GB - 1TB storage - Intel® HD - 300W - Wireless - Bluetooth® 4.0 - HDMI® - USB 3.0) and want to make sure I don't lose any information moving forward. I currently backup using Macrium reflect for a hard drive image to an external 1Tb drive and use the drive to manually backup files etc but would really like some thoughts on layering backups and making them automatic by using a seperate 1.5TB external drive for Rebit backups for a disk image and then continuous real time backups of files, and Crashplan for cloud storage to backup remotely all of this information. My questions relate to:-
1) Will this kill my computer speed and processing?
2) Is this overkill and redundant as Crashplan offers real time monitoring in addition to rebit?
3) If only one is necessary which is the better option?

I appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts on this.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rebit and Crashplan backups?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rebit and Crashplan backups?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My thoughts re backup
by wpgwpg / September 19, 2013 5:17 AM PDT

I don't know how much experience you've had backing up to the cloud, but in my experience it's extremely slow. I have a 24 Mbps download speed with Comcast cable which is fast, but uploading to the cloud takes forever. There're also questions about security and reliability of cloud backup. If you want to back up less than a GB of data that doesn't require security, it might be OK, but I like to have full system backups I can extract whatever I need from when I need it. I always have at least two copies of my data because you never know when a drive will kick the bucket. I have a 1 TB hard drive on my main computer, and never delete stuff from it if I don't want to lose it. That way if the back drive dies, I can still recover.
I use the FREE backup program Easeus Todo Backup Free for my full system backups. You can download it from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . You can read CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .

How backups affect your computer depends entirely on how you set them up for time and frequency. The Easeus program lets me determine that. I make full backups weekly at 3 AM with incremental backups every 4 hours. The incremental backups are always relatively small, and don't take more than a couple of minutes to run.
<div>
You're smart to be thinking about backup - so many people never do until the time they lose their data. It's always best to err on the side of too much rather than too little.
</div>

Collapse -
EaseUs vs Rebit
by rugby_mad01 / September 19, 2013 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: My thoughts re backup

Thanks for the response with the backups, and unless I missed something the EaseUS does not have real time monitoring for changes-instead I would be required to set a 4 hour (or something else workable) to scan for changes? With regard the cloud I was under the impression that the cloud had 128 bit security for the upload and download and 448 bit security for the storage and would therefore be safe-I imagine the initial upload would take a considerable time but I am hoping that it is long term storage. Appreciate the feedback.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.