Windows 7

General discussion

Rear Speakers Not Working - Windows 7 - Xtreme Music Card

by Saguaro520 / January 30, 2009 8:30 AM PST

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, I have 5.1 speakers however my rear speakers will not work when I listen to music, other speakers work fine. I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard and I got the Win 7 driver from Creative's site (installed using Vista compatibility). All speakers worked great in XP and I have uninstalled/reinstalled the driver a few times.

Everything in the Creative Console and Control Panel show I have 5.1 speakers and when I test them I can hear noise out of all of them ("rear left, rear right, etc..."). I have also made sure to enable CMSS and the volume is up. One thing that is kinda strange is that when I enable EAX effects and select an effect (such as jazz club) the sound comes out of the rear speakers. I am using Windows Media player and to make sure that wasn't the problem I went online to watch a video and was still missing sound out of the rear speakers.

I understand both Win 7 and the driver for my soundcard are beta but i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could fix this problem or if i'm pretty much stuck until a new driver gets released?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rear Speakers Not Working - Windows 7 - Xtreme Music Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rear Speakers Not Working - Windows 7 - Xtreme Music Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rear Speakers Not Working - Windows 7 - Xtreme Music Card
by shoclabs / June 1, 2009 3:09 AM PDT

I don't know if you managed to fix this, but I had the exact same problem and after checking everything I found the solution, so I'm answering for future reference:

1)Go to the Creative Volume Panel
2)Go to the CMSS panel
3)Click the surround button
4)Check that Surround is selected (not stereo xpand)
5)Go back to the CMSS panel and move the stereo envelopment slider to the middle (or to the percentage you desire)
6)That's It!

If that doen't work at first, right click on the windows sound icon on your task bar. Select playback devices, select your x-fi soundcard and click on configure. Make sure 5.1 speakers are selected, then click next twice. I found that sometimes disabling "full range speakers" works too. If full range speakers are selected, be sure to tick the surround box too.

I don't know if it's a problem with the drivers or Windows 7 itself, but sometimes the settings will change all by themselves. It has happened to me a few times since I installed Windows 7.

Cheers!

Collapse -
solution is FooBar
by jasvinderajji / March 29, 2012 2:19 AM PDT

I figured out another way to do it that doesn't involve drivers or registry hacks. Download and install Foobar2000 from here. - Download foobar2000 and optional components

Click on file=>preferences=>expand playback=>DSP Manager. Move the convert stereo to 4 channel over to the active DSPs list and play your music.

Edit: Cool, your last post wasn't there when i started typing this post. The rear sound through foobar even though it was playing wasn't very loud at all, although that could have to do with my surround settings.

Anyway, I'll mark this as solved.

Collapse -
In Reply to: Rear Speakers Not Working - Windows 7 - Xtreme
by wkbrass / June 9, 2012 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: solution is FooBar

Foobar2000 is a very simple platform that resolves this issue beautifully! Thanks Jasvinderajji.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.