Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Realtek HD no audio device?

by shadman123 / September 28, 2009 9:36 AM PDT

I have a problem with my sound driver, after I updated to the latest Realtek HD driver I started having no sound. How can I fix it? BTW, I have Windows XP SP3

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Realtek HD no audio device?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Realtek HD no audio device?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Roll back the driver.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

If you go into Device Manager and select the device, you can roll back the driver.

Why did you update the driver, and how did you do that? I ask because Windows does not update drivers very well, and if you updated through the device manager this may be the reason. We would normally only update drivers direct from the product supplier, and only then if there are problems or bugs with the existing one.

Mark

Collapse -
No Audio Device XP/REALTEK HD AUDIO
by JeryZ / September 28, 2009 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Roll back the driver.

Ok i've been searching boards everywhere with this title. Brief history..... My realtek hd audio on a Gateway computer started acting screwy. It started by popping up it's interface and saying I was attaching headphones, etc when I wasn't. Got so bad I had to remove the program from my computer. I tried reloading drivers, checking bios configuration(unboard sound enabled), installing to service pack 3. Nothing worked. I got every conceivable piece of advice I could find under the Heading "NO Audio Device". In system sounds there is no audio devices listed, but all dirivers look good in device manager. I even had an IT friend check it out and he dowesn't have a clue. I deceided to solve the problem by replacing everything but my hard drive, New Gigabyte motherboard, new memory, new AMD PhenomII qquad core processor. These made no diference. So I brokedown and installed a new clean harddrive and installed Windows XP Pro onto it. The problem still exists. I even reflashed bios. Does anyonhe know what's going on hjere. It's driving me crazy.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 10:56 PM PDT

XP Pro on today's hardware will tax the usual installer. They may not have an "INSTALL PLAN" and will get the driver install order wrong and then post like the above.

Here's an example install plan -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

Notice that install order? And what happens if you don't install the MS UAA drivers before the sound driver?
Bob

Collapse -
Rollback Driver
by shadman123 / September 29, 2009 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Roll back the driver.

Yeah I rollback the driver and now it's back to the 2005 versionans the sound is back. When I updated the Driver, I updated through device manager. So if I download from the website will problem still happen

Collapse -
The lesson?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Rollback Driver

Updating drivers via the Device Manager is something that may or may not work. I'm sticking to the following.

1. It works = don't update it.
2. It works = don't fuss with it.
3. I want the latest driver, I read items 1, 2 and then if I can't resist I get it from the motherboard maker's site.
4. I don't go to the realtek site.
5. I never go to the realtek site.
Bob

Collapse -
The lesson?
by shadman123 / September 29, 2009 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: The lesson?

So I should never download from the Realtek thanks, I should go to the HP site to get since I have an HP computer. I want to update the driver how can I do this without any problems.

Collapse -
But like Bob says,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: The lesson?

if it works, why change it?

You say you want to update the driver. May we ask why?

I had my XP machine for 6 years. In fact I still have it and use it as a test bed. I never updated any drivers unless I was specifically advised to do so.

You're right though, since this is an HP build, your first port of call would be the HP site, but I feel you need to ask yourself, "What is wrong with my present setup, and why do I need to update this driver?"

Mark

Collapse -
read
by shadman123 / September 29, 2009 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: But like Bob says,

I want to update to keep in track with the latest version and to have better sound quality. I downloaded the update from the Realtek website and it went to No Audio Device. Do you have the HP link since Realtek is acting up.

Collapse -
Since we don't know which model # HP
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 7:18 PM PDT
In reply to: read

no we don't know where in the HP web site the details would be.

Can you not check yourself?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.