Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Really need advise with this brochure layout! Help,please?

by EmiliaEmiliaEmilia / March 19, 2009 5:11 PM PDT

Hi everyone,

The project I really need advise with is a brochure with following specifications:
Page dimensions - 30 x 30 cm , 24 pages body plus a cover.
The body is to be printed on lighter , 60 gsm uncoated stock.
The cover is to be printed on a different , heavy stock, 200 gsm, and printed only on the face side - the inside of the cover must be blank.
The print is to be done in offset.
The cover and the body are to be put together with saddle stitch.

My approach was to create the cover as a separate document size 30 x 60 cm as a single page, layout program set to non-facing pages.
When printed, the folded body pages created as separated facing-pages document will be inserted into folded cover and everything saddle stitched together.

However was told that this sort of brochure can be created on one go as a single, facing pages file.

Now I don't know how to solve some problems:

1. How the pre-press operators will know that the cover must be outputted on a different stock? All pages of the brochure layout which includes the cover now look the same.
2. How to build the layout in a way that the inside of cover will be left blank?

So far the only way to make this brochure is to make the cover as a separate document but I may be wrong -I'm just a student with very limited competency!

(By the way the layout programs I can use for this task are Quark and less confidently - InDesign on Mac platform)

Can some professional, please, tell me how to build this brochure step-by step in a way professionals do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Really need advise with this brochure layout! Help,please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Really need advise with this brochure layout! Help,please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by vikestackle / March 22, 2009 4:39 PM PDT

if you are getting this printed at a print shop- just simply state in your directions that the cover and back will be cardstock and inside cover pages blank, no?

I was a supervisor of a print center for a few years, simple instructions and basic, they get those requests daily.

But you stated something about press.

Laying it out, just make your quark/indesign pages the correct size (which would be double length after fold and staple) leaving space for a full bleed (quarter inch all the way around so they can cut them to full bleed if needed) A lot of print shops color printers dont do full bleed printing so i would find that out right away so you can properly set it up. The only tricky part is setting up the pages setup in the correct order to come straight out the printer correct.

Then just have them trim the pages down to proper size.

I guess to better answer your questions:

Where are you getting this printed?

Are you able to submit directions to the printer?

Its late so hopefully i didnt scramble gibberish.

Collapse -
by bbuck822 / April 3, 2009 3:01 PM PDT

First thing to do is make a dummy or mock-up. This can be achieved by taking small pieces of paper to represent actual 30 x 60 sheet sizes. You will need six pieces of paper. Each one is called a signature. Now you will take each one and put them together into a book form and fold it in half. You will now have 24 pages. You can now go through each page and number it 1-24. Next you take the first page (with the numbers 1, 2, 23, & 24 on it) and layout you document with those pages as they appear on your dummy. Make sure to leave enough of a border all the way around with a gutter that is twice the width of your border (ex: .5" border = 1" gutter). If you are going to press with this booklet then you will need to have at least 3/8" for gripper on your leading edge. If any of this sounds completely foreign to you then it would be in yours and the printers best interest to go in and sit down with a representative to go over basic layout procedures as well as what their file requirements are. You will also want to tell them exactly what kind of paper you need it printed on as well as the finished size and that it needs to be saddle stiched. They will probably trim 1/8" off of the folded edge after saddle stitching is completed to make an even edge. I hope this helps you get started which sometimes is the hardest part.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.