Android forum

Really irritating design flaw...

by tech_ninja_81 / July 10, 2012 3:00 AM PDT

When trying to use the native messaging app on my Galaxy SII Skyrocket in landscape mode, it cuts off the send button!

It displays the attachment button above the send button, and in landscape, the send is cut off. Anyone have a fix for this? I have looked and can't seem to disable the attachment button.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Really irritating design flaw...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Really irritating design flaw...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
And another reason why folk replace the stock apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 3:07 AM PDT

There is some thought that the maker should correct such flaws even though they didn't write the app or the OS.

Can you see why some write that Android is the new Windows?

Collapse -
Not really helpful
by tech_ninja_81 / July 12, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

The problem isn't the platform, it is manufacturer execution. I tend to gravitate toward Samsung hardware because it is very durable. I left this phone on top of my car and took off (no case...) and it slid off @ 45 MPH and landed screen down on the pavement with only a couple minor scratches on the edges of the case. A friend of mine dropped his HTC Evo in a restaraunt and it spiderwebbed the screen. Their software tends to be their downfall. My first Samsung touch screen was not android based, and was just terrible. I believe it was the Flight. The software was unresponsive, sluggish, and dated. With the android platform, I am really impressed overall, but the devil is in the details.

As far as being compared to Windows, I disagree. It isn't Android's fault that phone manufacturers employ crappy programmers to implement the product where as Windows is born with it's flaws. Of course, they are both better than Apple's OSs in my opinion. Apple products are built and marketed for the technologically un-savvy.

I have replaced the factory app with Handcent, but I just don't like having extra crap on my phone. I would like to fix the native app, or at least remove it.

Collapse -
Thanks for this response.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really helpful

I see you are slamming the makers for using the OS and it's supplied apps, warts and all.

Yes, it is the Windows story all over again. All those PC makers took Windows, and look at the mess. Here we go again! Not only that but YOU BOUGHT THIS (again!)

And as folk are used to the PC, they are not liking apps that are welded into the phone. Let me take the flip side to that argument. Let's say they did allow you free reign. And now you can't text. Will you pay them for the support to fix this? (you had uninstalled the stock app.)

Collapse -
So let me ask this...
by tech_ninja_81 / July 12, 2012 4:09 AM PDT

...If Apple is so much better than Android & Windows, what are you doing in the Android forum? Just trying to pick fights and start flame wars? Honestly. I don't go into the iOS & Mac forums and try to answer questions with "Your problem is Apple" If you don't have an answer for a question, don't post. If the post was "Android is better because blah blah blah" then I can see how your statements are relevant.

Collapse -
by tech_ninja_81 / July 12, 2012 4:12 AM PDT

...Android is not supplied with native apps, save for a few base processes. Those are developed by the company that manufactures the phone, in this case Samsung. That is why phone, messaging, phone book, and all these functions look different from one phone to another. And why they are all similar on phones from the same manufacturer. You would know this if you have ever held an Android based phone.

Collapse -
Let me show you my hat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Also...

I go to the developer conferences and there are base apps that come with Android.

I see you state these are developed by the company that manufactures the phone but as I see that same app from Google in the base kit, I have to disagree here.

They can skin the apps so that much does differ but do they rarely do much more than that.

Why did you bring up the iPhone?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.