Computer Help

General discussion

Really Bad Computer Virus

by VanillaSkittlez / March 7, 2013 8:12 AM PST

So I've been having this horrendous virus with my computer that I can't seem to get rid of, and it's completely debilitating to my work and everything.. If any of you have any ideas about what could be causing it or possible solutions or any input at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

First off, my specs:
Computer Name: MININT-U0EQMHS
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: Dell, Inc.
System Model: XPS L501X
BIOS: Ver 1.00 BIOS A04 PARTTBLb
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67 GHz (4 CPUs) ~ 2.7GHz
Memory: 8192 RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Okay, so first off, my computer will randomly shut off sometimes and crash to a blue screen of death, dump some files and memory, and restart itself. Windows then asks me if I want to do a startup repair (recommended) - I do so, and it can find nothing and asks if I wish to system restore. I've tried to system restore countless times and everytime I do it says "System Restore was Unsuccessful" - and no rollback.

When I start my computer again, occasionally, my internet bar in the lower right corner will have a red X through it and when I hover my mouse over it, it says that "No Internet Connections are Available" even though for the last several years I connect to the router wifi in my house. When I restart my computer, 4/5 times it will then be completely fine and connect as normal and show all the other connections around my house. Sometimes the red X will remain there despite the fact my internet is working fine.

Additionally, sometimes when I restart it will revert back to an older version of Windows... in other words, icons and buttons seem older and less modern, oddly enough and where the newer, circular button for "Start" with the Windows logo on it is now will be replaced by an older, gray rectangle with the "Start" button on it as seen in older models of Windows.

Smaller things also occur, as if just to frustrate me. My Word Documents after saving a few times will randomly become "Read Only" and therefore I can't edit them, so I have to copy and paste the whole document, paste it in a new document, save it, and delete the old one.

When playing video games in a graphically intense state or a crowded place on an MMO, the game will flicker, the sound will cut, and it will crash to desktop with a message that says that my graphics card "Has stopped working but has now recovered" which is extremely frustrating.

Sometimes the virus will uninstall random programs and I'll get a message stating that for instance, "You are now running an older version of Steam" and another message asking "Would you like to allow this program to make changes to your computer?" with the verified publisher as "Valve".

I've installed countless virus protection and scanning programs but none pick up on anything... and I can't system restore. I've installed drivers to update software but none of it seems to make a difference. My computer also stopped checking for updates automatically, and when I click on the bubble and try to update it manually, I get a message saying that it can't establish a connection, and as such I've been unable to perform maintenance on my computer for months now.

All these occurrences are extremely frustrating, so if anyone has any tips on how to correct any of these or even diagnose this virus, that would be great and it would be much appreciated. Big thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Really Bad Computer Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Really Bad Computer Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also...
by VanillaSkittlez / March 7, 2013 8:15 AM PST

I forgot to mention that there also is an instance where sometimes when I start up my computer I will get a message from Windows mentioning that my disk is corrupted and that a disk checkup is strongly recommended and to press any key to cancel. I'm not sure exactly what this means but it never seems to make much of a difference.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Some things you can do
by wpgwpg / March 7, 2013 8:19 AM PST

Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
-
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-I-remove-a-computer-virus
-
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-explorer-has-stopped-working/6ab02526-5071-4dcc-895f-d90202bad8b3
-
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
-
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
-
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
-
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Results
by VanillaSkittlez / March 7, 2013 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Some things you can do

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I really appreciate you taking the time out to this, it really helps a lot.

I've yet to try your first tactic since it required turning off my computer but I first wanted to run the scans. I took a scan from Microsoft off their website first and right now I believe it finished but when I click on the icon nothing really happens so I'm waiting on that.

I tried the CMD tactic you wrote and it worked great, but I got this message:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

I have no idea what this means but the fact that it found corrupt files is a good sign I suppose in that at least some software was able to pick up on it without even entering Safe Mode.

Any idea what this means though? If not I'll try the first and if needed 4th tactic you gave me.

Collapse -
Copy that CBS.log file & see what it says
by wpgwpg / March 7, 2013 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Results

That CBS.log file will contain info about what file(s) it found corrupt but couldn't fix. I warn you though that it's very cryptic, so understand that there's a lot of stuff in it that likely is only meaning to some obscure programmer. If the file(s) that it couldn't fix are critical to the operation of Windows, that could mean you need to restore to factory settings. In any event you should back up any data you don't want to lose ASAP because it sounds like your computer is definitely ill.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.