It sounds like you could have some sectors on your hard drive to go bad, as they can do over time. Run chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors it finds. Of course I have to say a 1.67 Semptron processor is a pretty slow one by today's standards. When you get a chance, you ought to invest a few hundred bucks in a new computer.
My computer is slow. Real slow and getting slower.
Can you help me work out what is wrong with it?
About my machine:
XP Service Pack 3.
AMD Sempron 2400
992 MB Ram
What I have done so far:
1. I checked Hard Drive for errors
2. I cleaned out unneeded files
3. i ran SpyBot S&D with latest updates.
4. I tried to run Avira antivius but it took 18 hours and had only done 10% of the scan. I stopped the scan.
5. I removed unused programs using RevoUninstaller.
6. I ran Glary Utilities.
7. I tried to defrag the drive. After 3 hours it said it will take 61 more hours to Defrag it. I stopped the defrag.
8. I have downloaded the Windows updates. When I attempt to install updates it fails to install.
The following updates were not installed:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB953300)
It is still really slow. Much slower than the normal speed it runs at. What can I do next?