Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

reactivate XP PRO after BIOS update

by wolfy / November 3, 2005 11:08 AM PST

Today I decided to flash my BIOS today (NOTE: I am not looking for discussion on the merits of doing so). Either way when i log into my user account on the computer, I look in System Information, and see that XP needs to be activated. This only happens when i look in System Info on my user account, and there are no prompts to activate. My user account is setup as a "power user" on the system.

System Specs:

Processor: PIII/733
RAM: 384MB
Motherboard: ABIT BE6-II

If you need any further information, feel free to ask.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reactivate XP PRO after BIOS update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reactivate XP PRO after BIOS update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: reactivate XP PRO after BIOS update
by wolfy / November 3, 2005 11:10 AM PST

PS, I am looking at this from ''is what System Info telling me correct?''

Collapse -
reactivate
by chromesn / November 3, 2005 12:48 PM PST

well, it may be so. today i installed the MB RAID drivers, set up SATA drives (not as RAID, just installed the controller), and when i rebooted, big time "reactivate now!" msg. then tells me i activated it too many times, and had to call microsoft. pain in the butt.

if it's not saying you have 3 days or 30 days or something like that, i'd just go to xp update, or the "special offers for genuiune microsoft xp advantage users!" site to validate, and see if it says to re-activate.

hope this helps

Collapse -
RE: reactivate
by wolfy / November 3, 2005 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: reactivate

you mentioned you got a ''big time ''reactivate now!'''' message, I am not seeing anything like that outside of the ''System Information''. BTW: System Information indicates I have 30 days.

I am also not seeing teh ''special offers for genuine microsoft XP advantage users'' link off the Windows Update site.

UPDATE to original post: all accounts on the machine except ''administrator'' mention this in the system information.

Collapse -
I don't think you need to worry about it.
by sheilakmcd / November 3, 2005 6:50 PM PST

I can't find it now, but several months ago I posted about seeing this error in event viewer after changing my cd-rw drive to a dvd/cd-rw drive in my laptop.
Like you, I never got the big pop-up You Need to Activate Windows thing, just the error message in event viewer. It would show up there every few days. 30 days came and went, and I still see it there every so often.

My brother-in-law, who took out his cd-rom drive and his cd-rw drive, and replaced with a single cd-rw/dvd-rw drive 6 months ago, still has this error show up in event viewer every so often, but no where else.

Collapse -
Share the pain
by PKsteven / November 3, 2005 2:27 PM PST

Well, I don't know why you are only seeing it in system info but here's the deal...
In order to stop illegal copying or use of XP, Microsoft has come to a conclusion... if your pc has changed drastically , it's considered a different pc and wants you to go through the pain of getting a 90 digit number from the slowest recording possible, write it down, then read it back, then finally be told you can't reactivate so you have to go to a service rep who acts like you are stealing the software and asks if you have it installed on another pc. Yes I have been there and have complained to MS.
I think this is the most head in rear idea MS has ever done. It doesn't stop pirating of XP. Who are they trying to kid? Anyone who knows enough about this can still activate illegally.
By the way, you will have to reactivate. The only problem is you will have to go through the pain of the above mentioned. All I did was put a new cd burner in my pc and when I rebooted, it said I had to reactivate. I was not very happy about this:(
All this reactivation did was make it a pain for legal users to simply USE the OS. I think in your case, even if not bugged by the 30 day activation, things will be a bit off unless you do. For your sake, I hope not. Although you may be able to reactivate without it telling you it's been too many times already. You will find out in 30 for sure.
Paul

Collapse -
That's Very odd . . .
by pearljamkornfan / November 3, 2005 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Share the pain

I have added much new hardware to my machine, and never once had to reactivate. I have installed new memory, new hard drives, new video card and I have never had that prompt before. The only time I've had the activation prompt durin and install, as a matter of fact was when I was running Windows 2003 Server Standard edition for a while. (This is legal, I got it through my Major at my University). Anyway, does the manufacture of your BIOS say anything about this? If you go to the Microsoft Update page (Not windows update) is there anything on there about upgrading? Anyway, good luck with this and keep us updated please!

Collapse -
RE Very Odd
by wolfy / November 3, 2005 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: That's Very odd . . .

ABIT says nada. What is this about upgrading??

Collapse -
not so odd
by PKsteven / November 3, 2005 4:51 PM PST
In reply to: That's Very odd . . .

It's not so odd as it is, you are one of the lucky ones. Almost everyone i know that has a non oem version of xp has gone through this. The pc i mentioned earlier was actually my son's pc not mine but it happened. I also noticed if you activate through the phone line, it seems you get a better chance of this not happening. I don't know why, it just does. These are the days I wan't (forgive me) an OEM version instead of putting up with MS. You know, I wrote a lengthy letter to them explaining why this is a bad idea and how i and others felt. I also asked that my letter get taken seriously and not thrown around. Well, to make a long story very short, started at link one, then two , then three, then back to one again. All claiming my letter was very important and should be forwarded to the link provided immediately! What a joke. MS doesn't care about customers, surprise huh? I say this because to use windows, I feel like a criminal not a user and this is how we are treated before we even install the OS. Wooo, way off track, sorry Happy Paul

Collapse -
SOLUTION !!
by sam12shri / November 3, 2005 3:17 PM PST

Hey guys,

There is a solution that works to get around the reactivation screen. There is a script that gets rid of the reactivation screen and it actually shows that the Windows XP has been activated already.

It has to do with changing a few registry settings. Here is a link for the same:
http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_serial_in_windows_xp.htm

Try this out if it works !!
If not then post again ... because I have another solution.
Take care,

Sameer Potdar
http://www.clemson.edu/~spotdar/
I am proud to be an Indian

Collapse -
Probably not
by PKsteven / November 3, 2005 4:35 PM PST
In reply to: SOLUTION !!

This probably won't work since it's for SP1 not SP2 which most of us should be running, but thanks anyway.

Paul

Collapse -
Partial Solution
by compunut90 / November 3, 2005 8:42 PM PST

Click Start->Run
Copy and paste the following:

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

Windows Product Activation screen appears. If windows is already activated, congrats, else activate it.

Collapse -
i ain't worrying about this any more.
by wolfy / November 4, 2005 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Partial Solution

Windows appears to already be activated. The Activaton counter I am seeing in System Infomration seems to be stuck at 30 days. Therefore, the only conclusion i can draw at this point is that it is something I don't need to worry about, and is likely a bug in the System Information tool.

BTW: thank you all for your help.

Collapse -
Repost for sam12shri
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

Solution to reactivate Windows XP !!

Alrite guys enuff --

You will need the Windows XP installation disc. After installing Windows XP you will get the 30 day expiration balloon reminder.

Now reboot your system, insert the Windows XP installation disc and REPAIR the OS. This should remove the expiration thingy off your system.

I have tried this with my Windows XP OS disc that came along with my laptop and installed it on a desktop I already had. Completely different hardwares and I could get rid off the reactivation balloon.

Enjoy --

Sameer Potdar
(url removed)

Posted by: sam12shri (see profile) - 09/12/2006 11:11 AM

Collapse -
Update
by sam12shri / January 8, 2007 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: Repost for sam12shri

I bought a new PC (which I assembled at home) and wanted to install Windows XP on it. Why will I buy another license of Windows XP again? I tried the method above and I could still activate windows on the new computer.

Remember :
1. Install
2. Try to Activate --> wont get activated
3. Repair
4. Try to Activate --> will get activated

but you need a Licensed Windows XP to start with. I got mine when I bought my laptop from Dell.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.