TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Re-use proprietary Bose speaker wire with "standard" compone

by dzelila22 / November 15, 2012 1:45 AM PST

Is it possible to re-use Bose speaker wire (buried inside the walls and ceiling) with non-Bose components? If so, what's the easiest way to do this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Re-use proprietary Bose speaker wire with "standard" compone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Re-use proprietary Bose speaker wire with "standard" compone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by Pepe7 / November 15, 2012 2:00 AM PST

Just connect to the new speakers and enjoy. Nothing particular exotic about using the old wiring, as long as its in good shape.

Collapse -
For the record... it works.
by dzelila22 / November 24, 2012 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

OK, so I rolled the dice yesterday and snipped off one end of one of the Bose cables. There are indeed two conductors inside the sheathing, so presumably it should be straightforward to use these cables for a conventional receiver-to-speaker connection. Mystery solved.

Many thanks for all the feedback.

Best,
-Bob-

P.S.

Collapse -
Answer
I should have been more clear
by dzelila22 / November 15, 2012 7:37 PM PST

The issue is that on the speaker end, the wire has a proprietary Bose connector that can't be plugged into a "normal" speaker. And on the other end, there's an RCA-type connector, which also won't directly connect to a speaker.

So, more to the point, if I were to cut off both of those ends, what would I find inside? Is it just two conductors (like in normal speaker wire) that can be stripped and attached to the new speaker and receiver. Or are there maybe adapters for both ends that can make the conversion?

Collapse -
Got it
by Pepe7 / November 16, 2012 2:03 AM PST

Yes, you should be able to remove the custom & RCA ends and view/use the bare wire. I believe with the ribbed wire is the (-) and the plain is the (+). Double check the Bose manuals for this though.

Collapse -
Getting conflicting answers to the question
by dzelila22 / November 19, 2012 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Got it

It's become very frustrating -- some people are saying that I *cannot* use those Bose speaker cables by cutting off the terminal plugs at each end, and others are saying that I *can* cut off the ends and use the cables with "standard" speakers.

So, who am I supposed to believe????

Collapse -
If you have doubts...
by Pepe7 / November 19, 2012 11:08 PM PST

...take photos of what you have in the walls, including closeups of the ends so we can see and make the call.
(Who/where are these people who are asserting it cannot be done, btw?)

Understand though, speaker wire isn't rocket science. You can use all sorts of 'el cheapo' wires with stereo speakers successfully. Been there, done that (mostly in a pinch when I needed to quickly test a system while I was away from my tools/supplies/etc.).

Take a few quick digital photos, and upload to free sites such as imgur.com. Then, post the URLs of your photos here.

http://imgur.com/

Collapse -
Doubt casters
by dzelila22 / November 20, 2012 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: If you have doubts...

I've had 3 different people at Best Buy all say the same thing: "You can't re-use the Bose wires on "normal" speakers+receiver." I was very explicit in stating that I didn't expect to be able to use the wires as-is -- what I wanted to do is cut the ends off and, assuming that the wire itself was a two-conductor wire, attach banana plugs and connect to the new speakers and receiver...

What's in the wall looks like this on the speaker end:
http://www.frontrowelectronics.com/bose-ac2-bare-speaker-wire-adapter-black.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=Bose&utm_term=24820&gclid=COyDv7L33bMCFQqe4AodghAAHw

On the other end, it's a standard RCA-type connector

Collapse -
Best Buy is not normally the bastion of information
by Pepe7 / November 20, 2012 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Doubt casters

At least not in my experience. They don't work on commission anymore, so the have less incentive more often than not.

Is there a particular reason why you linked to a product online instead of taking a photo of what you actually have on site? Or, what you are asserting is, what you see in front of you is exactly like the black/red speaker wires depicted in the diagrams you've linked to, but without any sort of visible adapter(?)

Collapse -
Bose connector
by dzelila22 / November 20, 2012 9:37 PM PST

I linked to the online image because it's a bit inconvenient to get at the wire to disconnect it from the speaker to photograph. The image accurately depicts what the connecter (the black part) looks like - the Bose wire is integrated into the connector, so you can't see what's inside the sheathing. Ignore the red/black speaker wires and the terminal screws in the image - those are used to adapt standard speaker wire for use with the connector for a Bose speaker.

Collapse -
You should be good to go, in that case
by Pepe7 / November 20, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Bose connector

Please discount anything the BB folks say, as most is meant to get you to purchase things you do not need ;). Your wires are fine for using different speakers.

Happy Turkey Day.

Collapse -
Answer
Impedance check
by mjd420nova / November 16, 2012 4:12 AM PST

There'd be nothing wrong cutting off those connectors and strip the wire to fit the erminals on the amp and speakers. Phasing is important so keep your copper and silver colored wires coordinated plus and minus.

Collapse -
Phasing isn't going...
by torr10 / April 17, 2013 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Impedance check

to be that important to someone that has to ask a question like this about the wiring.

Collapse -
True- LOL, but...
by Pepe7 / April 17, 2013 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Phasing isn't going...

...his point was a valid one, no?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.