Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RE: (Rectangular Borders Around (Desktop Icons)???

by dawline / July 30, 2008 10:28 AM PDT

A (Blue Border) has Appeared around my (Desktop Icons)?
I've done a google search for answers and (All of them Failed)?

Anybody know what causes this...and HOW TO GET RID OF THE BORDER)????

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RE: (Rectangular Borders Around (Desktop Icons)???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RE: (Rectangular Borders Around (Desktop Icons)???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 30, 2008 10:36 AM PDT

Right click My Computer. Click Properties. Click the Advanced Tab. Under Performance, click Settings. Click the Visual Effects tab. Uncheck everything EXCEPT Smooth edges of screen fonts. Click Apply, Apply, and close.

Collapse -
To Coryphaeus RE:(Rectangular Borders around my Desktop Icon
by dawline / July 30, 2008 4:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this. . .

Thanks for the information I (Right Clicked My Computer and went to Advanced and under performance I unclicked everything except (Smooth edges of screen fonts)...BUT IT DID NOT REMOVE THE BORDERS...(So I tried unchecking everything except (Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop)...that did not work either.

I'M STUMPED!

ANYBODY GOT ANY (OTHER IDEAS)???

DAWLINE

Collapse -
I have got exactly the same problem.
by bfeiner / July 31, 2008 7:20 AM PDT

Could it possbly be some kind of a new virus?

Collapse -
Re:(Blue Borders Around Desktop Icons)?
by dawline / July 31, 2008 10:12 AM PDT

I'm not sure...but I've run all of my Diagnostic program and remove all potential threats. I over 8 program, only two that run automatically. The others find different stuff, so I use them as I see fit...(Once a week). I've run (Defrag&Checkdisk)...the problem still persist? It's very strange that I (Can't Restore) my original desktop (Without Borders)around the Icons?

Not sure what's causing this!

Dawline

Collapse -
Has to be a virus
by doncalarco / August 16, 2009 4:06 AM PDT

It has to be. I have programs that just won't open, now that the blue border is there. I have tried every suggestion available and it wont go away. I am sure it is blocking my html editor.

Collapse -
Try This
by Tufenuf / July 31, 2008 8:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Blue Border Around my Desktop Icons?
by dawline / July 31, 2008 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Thanks Coryphaeus for your diligent help...(UNFORTUNATELY THE LAST INSTRUCTIONS STILL DID NOT REMOVE THE BORDERS...I'M ALMOST READY TO JUST SAY TO MY MYSELF (OK YOU CAN STAY!) HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

I don't know what to do next. I may just have to live with this...or try the (Recovery Wizard) on my Sony VAIO, and try to restore the desktop that I like!

If you have any others ideas...(I'll Welcome Them)!

Dawline

Collapse -
Re: Blue Border Around my Desktop Icons?
by Tufenuf / July 31, 2008 1:01 PM PDT

Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Desktop tab click the Customize Desktop button, under the Web tab make sure that every item is unchecked, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
(NT) WOW. It actually worked for me. Thanks!
by bfeiner / July 31, 2008 2:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (Blue Rectangular Borders around Desktop Icons)??
by dawline / July 31, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

Thanks Tufenuf; unfortunately your solution did not remove the borders. This is almost getting comical.

Dawline

Collapse -
THIS ANSWER WORKED.....Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EASY
by rocketman007 / May 20, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU....
YOU da bomb!!!!!

Collapse -
Re: Rectangular Borders Around Desktop Icons!
by dawline / August 5, 2008 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Thanks, Tufenuf your last suggestion worked. My borders are gone. Thanks much I owe you one!

Dawline

Collapse -
Blue boxes around desktop icons.
by psteelerfan / March 15, 2011 12:11 AM PDT

Go to the Control Panel and then to Accessibility Options and then the display tab. Next uncheck the box to use high contrast.

Collapse -
Rectangular Borders Around Desktop Icons--Possible Fix
by pbergonzi / March 31, 2011 4:38 AM PDT

Windows 7 (haven't tested other versions)
Right-click Desktop->View->Change Large icons to Medium icons or Small icons.

Collapse -
Worked after 1 more step
by ruffhowzin / November 29, 2012 12:12 AM PST

Thanks pbergonzi !

I had icons set to Medium, so I change it to Large. It still had the borders. Then I set it back to Medium, and the borders disappeared!!

I've had this problem for a long time and had given up a while ago, and just decided to search for a solution today.

Collapse -
THis helped!
by Bobxyzghgh / July 10, 2013 1:19 PM PDT

IT WORKED

Collapse -
This worked for me:
by Tech_entrepreneur / October 23, 2012 6:24 PM PDT

R click my computer/ properties/ advanced/performance settings

click "adjust for best performance" then apply, it will look bad. Then click "adjust for best appearance" and hit apply, it will have no blue borders.

I tried manually unchecking "icon shadows" to no avail. the above method worked for me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.