Windows 7 forum

Question

RE: HOW DO I CHANGE MY 64 BIT WIN 7 OS TO 32 BIT WIN 7 OS

by ajacivil / March 9, 2012 9:50 PM PST

Greetings to you all CNET forum members.

My compaq presario notebook pc came preinstalled
with a 64 bit win 7 home edition OS.
However the system freezes a lot especially while
I am surfing the net and I was told it is caused by
the 64 bit OS.
Is it possible to exchange the 64 bit OS with a 32 bit
OS?
Microsoft says it is the job of the notebook manufacturer
but HP has no such customer service.
What do I do.?

Regards ajacivil

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RE: HOW DO I CHANGE MY 64 BIT WIN 7 OS TO 32 BIT WIN 7 OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RE: HOW DO I CHANGE MY 64 BIT WIN 7 OS TO 32 BIT WIN 7 OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell more about this freeze.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 10:47 PM PST

Another discussion which was rather long ended abruptly when we found out the machine was locking up while watching Youtube. There is a known issue there. And it's not a 32/64 bit issue.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Probably not because it is 64 bit
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 10:01 PM PST

You cannot change it from 64 bit to 32 bit as there is no 'downgrade' path like that. You would have to install the 32 bit version of Windows 7 from the genuine Windows 7 DVD setup.

But if the system came pre-installed with Win 7 64 bit you won't have the DVD to do that so you would have to purchase it retail.

Without knowing the specs of this notebook we can't say if is compatible for 64 bit Win 7 but I assume it will be if the manufacturer pre-installed it.

So you will need to look into other causes.

HP does have a Customer Service.

Tell us more about the system and the internet connection, and also tell us about your firewall, anti-virus scanner and other security software you have installed.

Mark

Collapse -
by ajacivil / March 9, 2012 10:35 PM PST

Thanks Markflax.

What exactly are the specification details you need.
I am not a computer expert and cannot provide
highly technical information.

Brand: Compaq pressario CQ61-425SA notebook pc
Manufacturer: HP
Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 900 @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 2.00 GB
Anti Virus: AVAST 7.0.1407 Internet security
No antispyware,or anti malware or system optimiser installed
Internet Connection: 7.2 mbps

Collapse -
Sounds expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 10:46 PM PST

I've never found this to be caused by 32 or 64 bit of Windows but something else. Since to change it to 32 bit would require you to buy another license of Windows 7, this sounds like an expensive lesson to learn this.

I'd let HP answer why it's not working. Most likely they'll restore it to the factory OS along the way so PREPARE ahead of time by moving your files and more to backup copies so you won't lose it all.
Bob

Collapse -
I have a Compaq Pesario Desktop and it has 32 & 64 bit.
by Darrell / March 10, 2012 12:17 AM PST

Try HP for an Answer; perhaps they will allow you to trade it for a 32 bit system. Darrell

Collapse -
RE: HOW DO I CHANGE MY 64 BIT WIN 7 OS TO 32 BIT WIN 7 OS -
by ajacivil / March 10, 2012 5:31 AM PST

Thanks DChrist.
How do I contact HP? Could you provide me a link to
the particular customer service so that I could request for 32
bit from HP. I am really irked by its constant freezing just clicking
on an icon.
In addition I find that most of my applications do not run on
this 64 bit machine. This is an added frustration.

Collapse -
Re: HP customer service
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 5:40 AM PST

The first Google hit for HP CUSTOMER SERVICE is http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html
That should be all you need if you live in the USA. If you happen to live in Australia (you didn't tell ) try googling for HP CUSTOMER SERVICE AUSTRALIA, for example. If that doesn't work, it might be mentioned in the documentation that came with your PC.

Nice tool, Google. I can recommend it, although some people prefer Bing. What is your favorite search engine?

Kees

Collapse -
I'm going to take a punt here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 4:10 AM PST

I'm no expert but even at 2.2 GHz, that Intel Celeron 900 seems woefully under-powered to me. According to the chart below it isn't multi-core, (eg dual core), but just a single core processor and that means it is working hard all the time in this notebook. Celeron processors are well known to be the 'slower' processors of the Intel family.

http://ark.intel.com/products/41498/Intel-Celeron-Processor-900-%281M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB%29

While the notebook specs might exceed minimum requirements for Windows 7, I'm guessing that it will struggle with either 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7.

System Requirements for Windows 7; http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/system-requirements.

This is the trouble with notebooks and tablets. They are good for "On the go" people who need to do a little document or spreadsheet work whilst they are travelling, perhaps watch a video file if the processor is doing nothing else, but they are not PCs and not even laptops and they are going to struggle with multi-tasking.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: freezes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 4:24 AM PST
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01973168&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4106200 indeed shows it comes with 2 GB of RAM, the Celeron processor and the 64-bit version of Windows. A rather strange combination. But, contrary to what Mark says, it's a full-fledged laptop.

I'd start with making a full backup of all data you want to keep, and then apply the built in recovery that's mentioned in that same specification sheet also. That should solve the freeze, unless it's a hardware issue.
After all, this is a machine from early 2010, I think, and if it froze then already, you surely should have HP let solve it under warranty. So if it didn't freeze then, it won't freeze now with the same software.

Kees
Collapse -
Answer
What issue?
by Willy / March 10, 2012 10:28 PM PST

This is NOT an open end optional type of thing to switch from 64 to 32-bit OS. As already explained to you, you need the retail versions of the OS required in order to re-install as the OEM supplied OS remains at 64-bit. I don't see how the 64-bit OS interferes with web surfing unless a known issue is at fault, but you didn't explain this problem in detail. On top of all this are the difficulties of a laptop install which become evident during this install. So, did this happen on 1st use of the laptop for the problem you experienced?

If you want to keep the 64-bit present, then you can load a 32-bit on another partition on the HD you have or add one, if that laptop allows a physical 2nd HD. Install the 32-bit OS to that partition or drive, accept the fact it will be "dual OS bootable", meaning you need to select which one you want to boot from. This does not mean you can run one or the other "concurrently". Google dual-boot setups. Next, visit the HP support website, access the forum there if any users have similar problems. If so, then see how it was addressed.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by ajacivil / March 11, 2012 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: What issue?

Thanks Willy.

That is exactly what I will do.
Basically I need the win 7 32 bit OS in order
to run some old applications that cannot run
in the 64 bit OS.

Best of wishes
ajacivil.

Collapse -
WIN 7 64 AND 32 BIT
by ajacivil / March 11, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

R.Rrofitt has turned out to be right.
The problem is not from the 64 bit OS.
It seems to be from my upgrade to avast
internet security version 7.
Since I reinstalled this 445MB software
my system has been freezing continually.
What do I do? Do I down grade to the avast
version 6 internet security. I wander whether
that is possible?

ajacivil

Collapse -
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: WIN 7 64 AND 32 BIT

I'd switch if Avast doesn't reveal what to do. Here's why. Any outdated antivirus is as good as none. Almost all the old threats are rarely seen.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.