Windows 7

General discussion

RAS ASYNC Adapter

by pianoman1976 / January 19, 2009 6:27 AM PST

(This issue is not Windows 7 specific, as a Google search on the subject reveals other Windows users having this issue. Yet I am using 7, so I'm putting it here.)

Device Manager shows one hidden device that cannot be disabled - RAS ASYNC Adapter. It cannot be uninstalled either. Even stranger is that it appears and disappears before my eyes, and I am doing nothing to cause this.

I do not want any rasman services running so I'd like to figure what, why and how this is going on.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAS ASYNC Adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAS ASYNC Adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So let's try this another way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2009 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: RAS ASYNC Adapter

Windows is moving to the day where the hood of your Windows car is welded shut. So no more tinkering.

-> Let's try this. What's busted that caused you to pop the hood?

Or are you just wanting to tinker?
Bob

Collapse -
the low down
by pianoman1976 / January 20, 2009 2:51 AM PST

Hi Bob,

I assume from your answer that you don't know what is going on with this. Happy

I need all network services offline on this system. I have done so in every way I know how, next to yanking the cable.

This adapter appearing and reappearing with the inability to disable or uninstall looks like a remote connection taking place. I would like to know how and why this is happening. If you scour google for this issue - you'll find it. You'll also find that nobody has gotten a solid answer as to what it is.

So to answer your question - it's simple curiosity, that's all. Call me a liberal, but when things are going on on your system that are unexplained and cannot be explained - not even by MS, then I think there's a good shot at saying there is a privacy, security or some kind of civil liberties dilemma on our hands.

While I have nothing to hide, I value my right to privacy. So this is a matter of principle. It could very well fall into that large category of things that I don't understand that aren't doing what I think they are doing. Yet, if this were the case, I would think there would be a clearer answer out there in googleland as to what this is.

Wink

Collapse -
So nothing is broken?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2009 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: the low down

Sorry I was angling for something to fix. Now I see you need to break something.

Try this. Learn to use the device manager and the NET STOP and START commands. I don't have a tutorial handy but I think it's worth repeating that Windows is headed more towards a welded lid approach to the internals for very good reasons. People and malware are busting the OS and then calling for support.

Weld the lid shut.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by pianoman1976 / January 20, 2009 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: So nothing is broken?

No, I don't need to break something. I would like to understand how and why this adapter appears and disappears, not just starts and stops. There is a difference.

I'm not looking to do anything other than understand this. Nothing is broken and I'm far from breaking anything.

I like to keep the lid open as this is how I learn.

Happy

Collapse -
What you may want to do is join MSDN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2009 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: No

The developer's network has a lot of detail and more insight about dependent services. If I wasn't clear, MS is headed to a welded shut OS for very good reasons.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by pianoman1976 / January 20, 2009 6:18 AM PST

Thank you. I will check out MSDN.

and yes, you have made yourself quite clear that you think I am PICNIC without actually answering my question.

I'm off to MSDN! Wink

Collapse -
You can disable the service...
by John.Wilkinson / January 20, 2009 4:26 AM PST

In short, the service Remote Access Connection Manager is launched 'manually' (as needed) to facilitate a connection to the internet based on your ISP's logon procedure. It is also required in order for the following services to run:
* Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
* Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
* Routing and Remote Access

You can go into Services.msc and stop/disable that service, provided you stop/disable all of the dependent services first, but note that it will likely result in a complete loss of internet connectivity.

John

Collapse -
Remote stuff
by pianoman1976 / January 20, 2009 5:25 AM PST

I always keep all remote access services disabled. In addition, I disable all remote options in Component Services.

I'm quite familiar with Services settings. I understand that certain things will start and stop on their own based on their settings. I'm also familiar with Device Manager as the management of devices through enable, disable, install and uninstall. Yet I've never seen a device literally disappear from my eyes on device manager then reappear - all without any input from me.

Collapse -
Say, is this your other discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2009 1:27 AM PST
Collapse -
the march to a better OS
by nologin123 / July 21, 2014 10:57 PM PDT
Better to flush it than weld it!

Windows is a "busted bug" and a glorified malware installer. For real freedom, try an open source OS like Ubuntu, Haiku, or NetBSD.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.