Computer Help forum

General discussion

Random music(radio) plays through my speakers?? Help pls...

by him1208 / November 28, 2007 4:35 AM PST

Random music plays through my computer sounds like radio...idk whats going on please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Random music(radio) plays through my speakers?? Help pls...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Random music(radio) plays through my speakers?? Help pls...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A recent member tracked this down to REAL.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2007 4:39 AM PST

It was some oddity with the REAL PLAYER.

Collapse -
Mysterious music or random radio plays on computer
by slavish69 / December 1, 2007 1:30 AM PST

I'm also looking for others that have experienced this, it' really strange. At completely random times music/talking fades into the backround of my computer speakers. I keep task manager running and know how to use it, I see no software running that could be supporting this music. I can close everything running on the computer and it will still be there. Luckily this mysterious music/radio ever only lasts a matter of seconds, making it a mere entertaining nuisance, and also difficult to track to its origins.

One night at 3 am I heard two people talking chinese in my living room, freaked me right out. There it was just randomly began spewing from my computer speakers in the wee hrs of the morning. I tore through the computer systems to find its origins, however, it disappeared before I could nail it down. weird.

I'll go a month or two and it doesn't happen, then it will occur 3 times in an hour one evening. The songs or voices are as random as the time of occurance. I've asked my friends if they hit me with a trojan or anything, doesn't seem to be the case, I would have found it by now.

The ghost in the machine boys, who knows.

My computer is a new Dell, would like to hear from others who have this strange issue, and would sure like to know WTF is behind it. lol

Collapse -
In this forum someone noted REAL PLAYER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2007 1:35 AM PST

It was the culprit for them. Dump it and see.

Collapse -
There is nothing running with real player....
by him1208 / December 3, 2007 8:55 AM PST

idk i will remove it and see what happens but i dont see how it can be REAL if there is no process for it

Collapse -
Here's the other thread
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2007 9:41 AM PST

It might offer some thoughts or places to look. You need to, as best you can, isolate this to either your PC or speaker system first. This poster said the volume of the sound was independent of his speaker controls. To me, this suggests something in the speaker system and not the PC because that signal is what's amplified by the speaker's electronics. Can you tell whether you can turn these sounds up and down using the PC's or speaker system's volume control? Can you try another set of speakers on your PC or connect the speakers to another device? I believe there was a thread on this topic where it did come down to the speaker system. I'm still skeptical of the Real Player notion, BTW, but sometimes using logic doesn't always work.
Collapse -
Thanks to Steven... Link to the exact item and thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 12:48 PM PST
Collapse -
Real player wasnt it...
by him1208 / December 5, 2007 11:21 AM PST

musics still playing.....and i uninstalled real player

Collapse -
Try these next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2007 10:37 PM PST
Collapse -
by kisses4erica / April 25, 2008 10:14 AM PDT

Yea i do NOT know how to get rid of this random music!!! i keep having random music, commercials, and ads playing on my computer!! I do not know where it is coming from!!! only thing i DO know is that whenever the music or commercials start to play, then my memory usage on my explorer in my task manager jumps up! now if i end the process of explorer.exe in my task manager then it stops so i DO KNOW that it is SOMEWHERE in my explorer i just need to know how to get rid of it!!! PLEASE PLEASE help me i am VERY irritated!!

Collapse -
by Fourxxxx / April 26, 2008 7:49 PM PDT

I had same problem and I think the problem is caused by a trojan called 'routing.exe'. This is how I fixed it. From google type in internet explorer 7. Download the google version of IE7 and choose additional programs. Then select Norton scan. Once installed, it should find the culprit. Not sure whether IE7 fixed problem or Norton scan but sound has gone now.

Collapse -
by dvmil917 / October 17, 2008 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution

Where is additional programs???

Collapse -
Random Noises from speakers
by Sparkie0723 / July 6, 2009 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution

what if you have IE8? are you saying to install IE7 that it has something to do with IE8? I did have a trojam virus. McAfee found it and quarantined it. If IE7 will stop the madness i will go back to it. thanks

Collapse -
i get random commersials and radion on my speakers too
by lilraven1188 / December 17, 2008 4:03 PM PST

it just started to day and i think its a virus but it is really annoing
i just want to know how to get rid of it

Collapse -
(NT) Tried The Solutions In This Thread Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 18, 2008 2:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Dell Computer
by coldrockbob / July 7, 2009 3:41 AM PDT

The computer that this is happening for me, is a gateway, but i am using Dell speakers. I dont know whether that makes a difference or not.

Collapse -
It is NOT caused by Real Player It is caused by INTERNET 8
by coldrockbob / July 22, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

A few weeks ago, my dad was having the problem and i tried to figure it out, without any luck. just a few minutes ago, i started having the same problem on my new laptop, but this time, i was also getting a bunch of random dialog boxes form IE8, i have already got rid of IE8 and am using Chrome for internet browsing. the dialog box was the ones that said: "redirecting away from webpage, click cancel to stay, and click OK to go" or something like that.

after a while, i opened the windows task manager, under processes, and looked for anything about internet explorer. I then found the process: iexplore.exe
when the audio was coming through, the CPU usage would jump, and when it stopped, it would then lower again.

i then right-clicked on: iexplore.exe and clicked the end process from the sub-menu. After that, i havent had any problems on either computer.

i have also noticed that the problems started to occur after the release of internet explorer 8.

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by greenjellybean03 / February 7, 2008 6:14 AM PST

and Realplayer has nothing to do with it. Did you ever get yours figured out? I KNOW it's not a frequency pick-up, because the same 2-minute bit is just repeating over and over again. Normally I just turn off my speakers, but I really just need to resolve this problem. One thing I know that's happening is they had an ad for "ripetv". I went to their website and tried emailing them, but it got returned saying "invalid address". Help me!

Collapse -
Random Sounds...
by sysroute / February 28, 2008 11:42 PM PST

Same problem here. Brand new Dell as well. The computer doesn't have any programs open and random sounds will come out of the speakers. A ***** here and swoosh there then songs will start playing. The quality of the sounds and songs are very low. I feel like it's something coming in from the net.

Collapse -
To all noisy speakers...check
by Willy / February 28, 2008 11:56 PM PST

If you have mail enhancer or smilies installed see if disabling or deleting it helps. To include any keyboard mappers that supposedly do a hot key action once mapped either by default or erroneously inputted(unk. to user).

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
We have the same thing happening here at work
by dwlapham / March 13, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

I am an IT person, though I shouldn't admit it right now, because I am feeling dumb when it comes to this issue. We have ran AV and all the standard spyware scans. It seems to be related to the windows theme, because you can change the theme and it goes away until the next day. Music is random internet stations playing at random times. Today for example was Covergirl TV or something like that, another day was acid rock, another was rap and yet another was classical. This is not a local radio station bleed over issue. It is on a laptop and does it with external speakers, headphones, or the internal speakers. Non of what is playing is local radio or TV. I tend to think this is some sort of prankware (my made up word for it), but I can not find a running process for it. No unusual task, and nothing using a lot of CPU.

Collapse -
by greenjellybean03 / March 13, 2008 10:18 AM PDT

Now I KNOW we're talking about the same thing because I had to listen on and on about cashmere sweaters on covergirl tv the other day (I was across the room, and too lazy to get up and turn it off). I hope someone figures it out soon Sad The IT girl at my work couldn't figure it out either, so don't feel too badly about it.

Collapse -
This is happening to me
by 52penny / March 13, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: YES!!

Yesterday and today I also received random signals coming in as well. Very strange hope someone comes through with an answer my computer is seven years old and an Hp

Collapse -
Got it fixed.
by sysroute / March 14, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

I found a program called Prevx CSI that picked up the culprit. Adaware and Norton both missed it. I would recommend creating a restore point before running the scan. I scanned and then fixed the problem, but the program killed my internet connection on Vista somehow. I restored from the last restore point and manually removed the culprit mysself. In either case, this program was able to find it.

Collapse -
This worked! YAY!!
by MSJENI / March 21, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it fixed.

My reply regarding the advice from "sysroute"... After dealing with Geek Squad for hours and hours every day for about a week for this nightmare, they still couldn't find the problem... So I ventured out on my own and did the research - thus finding your thread and the SOLUTION source I needed ...

I followed your advice to go to that Prevx CSI site and ran a scan through them...It found one Trojan item hidden deep within my files...UGH!!That was the culprit all along and was not being found by any of the other scans Geek Squad and myself had run...(adaware, ewido, norton antivirus, webroot spysweeper,sunbelt counterspy, and several others I don't recognize or remember)...

I did what you said about creating a restore point, but unlike you with Vista, I have XP and it didn't seem to be a problem. I rebooted my computer in SAFE MODE and found that link "problem" that the Prevx CSI scan found...Then I went in and deleted it all throughout the computer...I wanted to be sure it would work...I'm sure if you just click the Prevx button to fix the problem for you, it might've worked, too - But when I tried to delete the actual program, it gave me a warning dialog box over and over again saying something about how it could not delete the items because it "was being used by another person or program"...their sneaky way of avoiding deletion...

My advice: go right to SAFE MODE and wipe it out that way, if it doesn't let you clear the issue... My computer has been back to its normal self ever since!! YAY!! THANK YOU for your suggestion!! This could've haunted me for forever!!

Collapse -
prevx didn't work
by aknox19 / March 28, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it fixed.

I am having the same issues, but when I ran the prevx software, it said that it did not find any infections. Can you tell me the name of the culprit so that I can go in and manually delete it?

Collapse -
Culprit info...
by MSJENI / March 28, 2008 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: prevx didn't work

Hi, I'm not very technical, so I don't know if this is going to matter... But here's all the info. I have on this culprit... I'm not sure if it'll be the same consistent numbering as on my computer, though... This is what I wrote down from my experiences:

*I went to "C" hardware drive - Then windows- Then installer - then found this number (which was the one that Prevx CSI detected:

*It was a "Trojan agent" ... under this number section on my computer:

We (Geek Squad and I)went into the computer by Safe Mode and deleted everything because it wouldn't allow it in normal mode - kept saying something like:
"RunOnceRom" was being used by another person or didn't block us in Safe Mode, though.

If you understand computers (which I don't much), you can't just delete it from that one numbered area above...We clicked START, then RUN, and typed in: reg.edit

Then we searched for it there and deleted it one at a time each time it showed up again...which was several places - sneaky ******!!

I have MSN service and it gave me trouble signing in again - So if you also have MSN, they instructed me how to repair the issue by installing their Autocare thing and it worked well after it was repaired.

Good luck... Hope this helps...

Collapse -
RE: Culprit Info....
by aknox19 / March 30, 2008 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Culprit info...

Thanks MSJENI,

I ran a reg edit search over the whole computer and also ran a search on C:, but unfortunately I was unable to find that string anywhere, which is maybe why prevx couldn't find it. I am going to delete my IMs and see if that might help. I think it started soon after loading Yahoo Messenger on the computer.

Collapse -
RE: Culprit Info....
by btzucker / April 6, 2008 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Culprit Info....

I have the same problem and haven't tried the prevx yet, but I can sure tell you what process is running it. It is running on explorer.exe. When I kill that process, it instantly stops. I then use alt-ctrl-del to bring up the task manager again and run explorer.exe by choosing File ->run and then typing explorer.exe. When it is running, explorer.exe process uses a lot more memory. Pretty strange. Hopefully prevx works for me because I have had the same problem going on a year now and haven't found the answer.

Collapse -
radio on pc
by cdcapn / April 10, 2008 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Culprit info...

I installed the suggested Prevx and found the culprit trojans. First I tried deleting from the regular start up, but it said that the file was in use by another user or program. After that I tried deleting from safe mode, but the same window popped up telling me the file was being used by another user or program. Any help in deleting this annoying file would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
by MSJENI / April 10, 2008 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: radio on pc

I'm not very techno, but when we did this repair, we looked for that particular specific number/link info. (write it down)...then in safe mode, we went to the start button, typed in reg.edit and okay - then went through every section there - took forever, but was worth the effort...every time that number/link showed up, we deleted it...don't know if this's what we did and it worked for us...good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.