Laptops forum

RAM upgrade confusion

by Mindstyle06 / February 9, 2013 6:12 PM PST

Hi folks,

I have 2 laptops, Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 purchased at Bestbuy and Acer Aspire 5740, purchased in India (When my Dell Studio died all of a sudden)

Satellite has 4GB of RAM and Aspire has 3GB of RAM. Both have only 2 slots. If I understood correctly, both the laptops have DDR3-8500F RAM (533MHz). Crucial website suggestion for upgrade RAM is 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 or DDR3 PC3-8500 modules.

I am totally confused. They don't seem like to be the same as the one already installed in the laptops. Most likely Crucial is correct with their suggestion but I just wanted a human expert to confirm and a recommendation on which module I should go with (i.e. PC3-8500 or PC3-10600).
Also any recommendation on brand? Newegg has good reviews for G-Skill, Crucial and Kingston but (G-Skill PC3-10600 is little cheaper, with a good review).

The Screenshots from Speccy for both of these laptops are at

Many thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM upgrade confusion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM upgrade confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry, is this a question about those numbers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: RAM upgrade confusion

533MHz is one of the common clock rates. The 10600 is not in MHz but some bytes per second over the bus connection.

Both Crucial and Kingston have memory selection tools to get the right sticks. They may offer faster parts than are required for a very simple reason. As production techniques improve the speed goes up. And since there is no reason to keep speeds low, and higher speed parts will work fine, the lower speed stock is consumed and may never be found again.

Collapse -
PC3-10600 vs PC3-8500
by Mindstyle06 / February 10, 2013 4:19 AM PST

I don't know the difference between PC3-10600 and PC3-8500. I would like to know if either of this RAM matches to the one in the system and if using PC3-10600 is better (because of faster speed, if speed is described by a higher number).

Collapse -
It's not possible to limit the discussion to just speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: PC3-10600 vs PC3-8500

As memory has page sizes and a dozen other parameters we know that unless you are an electronics engineer your best solution is to get the RAM that Crucial or other sites tell you to use.

As to "better", installing higher speed memory rarely results in a faster laptop. I gave you the short reason they sell the faster ram.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.