Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

ram maximum

by robert-scamp / July 29, 2006 1:09 PM PDT

My MB manual states that I can use a max. of 512 MB's of ram. Yet when I go into the System Config. utility, and then into ''advanced'' I get a window that says I can limit my ram to 999mb's.
I have an older machine, P-3, 450 mgh with a P2-99 MB, but it does everything I need and it is fast enough. I keep it tweaked up with minimum running in background and it takes care of my photo and scanning work just great.. Would I be able to put in 2 512 sticks of ram and would it have a chance or working properly? or is the manual correct?
thanks,
robert-scamp

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ram maximum
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ram maximum
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Exactly whay MB do you have...mfg, model and rev.
by VAPCMD / July 29, 2006 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: ram maximum

If not sure download-run CPUZ...see Mainboard tab.

What System Config utility are you referring to ?

Collapse -
MB info
by robert-scamp / July 30, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

I tried and tried to download cpu-z from cnet and other sites. I get a message that my evaluation period is over and I will now have to purchase this free software.
I've run into that befor, so I'll read it off the manual and system info. I'm running WIN ME with a P-3 450mhz on an Asus P2-99 MB, slot one, Intel 440ZX AGP set with bios version V4.51PG. On the boot up screen it states Asus P2Z ACPI, rev: 1013 Beta 005. I did a bios flash a couple of years ago and (holding my breath) it worked. It takes dimm socket, sdram 100mhz memory.
The system utility I used to find the memory limit is ''System information''-that goes into ''help and support'', then ''Tools'', ''System Configuration Utility'' and then into ''Advanced''.
Thanks for your help.
robert-scamp

Collapse -
Memory retailer for Micron, Crucial, says 512MBs is max.
by VAPCMD / July 30, 2006 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: MB info

So even though you could physically install higher density DIMMs in the slots...the system (MB) wasn't designed to work with more than 512MB RAM

Here's a link to Crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&tabid=AM&model=P2-99&submit=Go

RE CPU-Z.... here's the site and it's freeware. If you still have the problem ...uninstall the old version and reinstall the new. I've never had it nag
for CPU-Z for any kind, ever.

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

Collapse -
Ram
by robert-scamp / July 30, 2006 1:58 AM PDT

Thank you. That answers my question. Even though I like my machine, this will make my decision to keep or not to keep a little easier.
As for CPU-Z, I don't and have never have had it on my machine. I checked all around thinking I mught have downloaded it and then forgot, but no. I checked my start up, then did an Adware and then a Spybot, cleared out cookies, temp files and a defrag for good measure. No luck. It will let me download it, but not open it until I buy. No problem. My way of thinking...if it's this difficult to get on the machine, it must be a ****** trying to get it off.
Thanks again. Always nice to get an answer along with a site to go to as well.
regards, robert-scamp

Collapse -
You're welcome...as time and $$ permit, take a look at
by VAPCMD / July 30, 2006 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Ram

some of the new PCs. Lots of great choices with lots of power and decent prices.

VAPCMD

RE: CPU-Z must be something wrong. Once I unzip it, I can just click on the executable and it runs. Might try that.

Collapse -
CPU-Z
by linkit / July 30, 2006 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Ram
Collapse -
Tried your advise, what do I do now?
by aqw8326 / August 4, 2006 6:51 AM PDT

Dear VAPCDM,
I went to crucial.com and followed the instructions and received the following note:
Important information about your system
Memory configurations for Windows 95/98/ME with greater than 256MB, require adjusting the Vcache settings as outlined by Microsoft article Q108079.

I have a MSI, MS-6300 ATX, K7T Turbo2, V5.0 motherboard,
Three slots for SDRAM DIMM w/128 each installed.

After much searching, I found the article at Microsoft, but it is for 98, and not explain very well, at least not for a newbee. BTW, I am running ME,
How do I find out what my cache is set to. Help?

Collapse -
Whoa.....you said you had an P2-99 MB and I furnished
by VAPCMD / August 4, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

a Crucial.com link to an ASUS MB which matches.

But now you're referring to an MSI MB MS-6300,
K7T Turbo2 V5.0 with an AMD chip which isn't listed as such at the Crucial site. There is a K7T Pro2. Need exact mfg , model # and rev for sure.

Download "Advisor" at Belarc.com and SIW at
http://www.gtopala.com/about_siw.html.
Install and run the programs to make sure the MB model and revision is correct. Also check the MN|B manual or do a visual of the MB.

Do you buy new RAM ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
diffrent poster,
by aqw8326 / August 5, 2006 12:37 AM PDT

I'm sorry, I was haveing the same problem, so I browsed the forum, found your answer, and followed your instructions. Found the note and posted the question.
Ann
Here is what was listed:
The Crucial Memory Advisor? tool lists only the upgrades that are guaranteed compatible with your MSI (Micro Star) MS-6330 V5.0 (K7T Turbo2) Motherboard.
System Specs
Chipset
VIA Apollo KT133A
Error Detection Support
Non-ECC only
Graphics Support
AGP 4X
Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM
1536MB
Module Types Supported
Unbuffered only
Supported DRAM Types
SDR SDRAM only
USB Support
1.x Compliant
The information provided above is a standard setup as shipped from the manufacturer. You can see your current configuration with The Crucial System Scanner

Notes
Memory configurations for Windows 95/98/ME with greater than 256MB, require adjusting the Vcache settings as outlined by Microsoft article Q108079.

Collapse -
Got it....but in you your first post you said MSI 6300 and
by VAPCMD / August 5, 2006 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: diffrent poster,

the second you said MSI 6330....assumimg it 's the latter right ? And to be clear...what OS are you running and how much ram now ? How muh more did you want to add ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
inf.
by aqw8326 / August 6, 2006 4:40 AM PDT

Correct, I am running a MSI MS-6330, KtT Turbo2 ATX.
RAM: 383mb, SDRam, unbuffered. (128x3)
CPU: AMD: Duron, 750Mhz

I want to remove one(1) 126 stick, and replace with one(1) 256 stick.
but my concern is, the note on the site about ME and RAM higher than 128, what do I do about that?

Or maybe a better question would be, should I get another motherboard, since XP requires more Mhz than my processer have, 750.
Ann

Collapse -
But you're already running more than 128MB RAM, right ?
by VAPCMD / August 6, 2006 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: inf.

Do you have the link for the message you refer to ?

Removing 128MBs and adding 256MBs only nets you an extra 128MBs ... not much to be gained by that upgrade

And what are you using the PC for ? And you want to go to XP ?

"Correct, I am running a MSI MS-6330, KtT Turbo2 ATX.
RAM: 383mb, SDRam, unbuffered. (128x3)
CPU: AMD: Duron, 750Mhz?

You do mean KT7 Turbo2...right ?

VAPCMD

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=MSI+%28Micro+Star%29%2B+Motherboards&mfr=MSI+%28Micro+Star%29&tabid=AM&model=MS-6330+V5.0+%28K7T+Turbo2%29&submit=Go

Collapse -
Inf 2
by aqw8326 / August 6, 2006 6:58 AM PDT

Yes I have more than 128mb, now, but he note concerned me.
I use the computer for the usual, surfing, banking, mail and games. But with just about everything requiring XP, and XP needing more RAMs and MHz, I need to upgrade. Plus MIcrosoft no longer, suports ME.
Correct, KT7 Turbo2.

The info was from Crucial.com, and isfor my motherboard.

The Crucial Memory Advisor? tool lists only the upgrades that are guaranteed compatible with your MSI (Micro Star) MS-6330 V5.0 (K7T Turbo2) Motherboard.

System Specs
Chipset
VIA Apollo KT133A
Error Detection Support
Non-ECC only
Graphics Support
AGP 4X
Max Unbuffered SDR SDRAM
1536MB
Module Types Supported
Unbuffered only
Supported DRAM Types
SDR SDRAM only
USB Support
1.x Compliant
The information provided above is a standard setup as shipped from the manufacturer. You can see your current configuration with The Crucial System Scanner

Notes

Collapse -
If it were my PC....I'd skip upgrading the RAM
by VAPCMD / August 6, 2006 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Inf 2

Relative to DDR or DDR2, PC133 is way over priced. But more important a net 128MBs of additional RAM will be virtually unnoticed in your system performance.

If you're even remotely thinking of upgrading to XP and with it your PC...my strong recommendation would be to put that $$ toward a new PC with 1GB of RAM capable of running Vista if you want to change to that later.

The the MS article ....are you receiving out of memory messages now .... if not I would think that's OBE by updates to Me (assuming your Me is up to date).

MSI-6330 Ref for you MB is below

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_s
pec.asp?model=K7T_Turbo_2&class=mb

Any other questions...just drop a note.

VAPCMD

PS ...You can also get RAM made by Kingston ... the exact product number as listed by Kingston for your MB at Newegg.com for about $35.

Collapse -
Thank You, all
by aqw8326 / August 7, 2006 3:48 AM PDT

and thank you, VAPCMD.
I went to newegg and ordered a processor, memory, fans and cables. The prices there are amazing. Needless to say, I will be working on my computer for the next few weeks. Plan tomod the case to cool it more.
With the extra hardware and mem, I'll build my g-daughter a computer!
Thank you again for all your help.
Ann

Collapse -
Couldn't reply to your message so I'm responding here..
by VAPCMD / August 7, 2006 12:30 PM PDT

Wow...a lady of action and adventure. Don't find many cool G'MAs building PCs. Let us know what you build and how it works.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Butting in
by bob b / August 6, 2006 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: inf.

If it was me I'd try the upgrade.

If you chase the MS Q# around you'll find some folks have the issue and some don't.

If you do have an issue the Q# refers to adding an entry in the vcache area of sys init.

If you do have to add the entry it's just some simple mouse/keyboard stuff.

I use the entry just to keep windows from going crazy with the disk caching.

Collapse -
Exactly what..............
by 09Bentley / August 4, 2006 12:09 PM PDT

You can also get complete PC info from www.belarc.com or www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Collapse -
ram maximum
by bob b / July 29, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

The limit# your refering to has nothing to do with the max ram your mobo will accept.

I'll assume your running W98.

That OS seems to have a 512MB limit.
Your manual says the mobo has a 512MB limit.

I suspect 512MB is as big as your going to go.

Collapse -
ram............................
by logger99 / August 5, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

Your mobo supports UP TO 512MB RAM. W98 won't recognize the full 512MB, Win ME will recognize and run 512MB, W2k and Win XP should both use 512MB as minimum. Go to your memory settings (usually by right-clicking on Desktop icon, My Computer, the Properties/Advanced/Performance Options)..Set Virtual Memory to 1024 in the first box and 2047 in the second box and exit, restart computer....................

Collapse -
Couldn't reply to your message so I'm responding here..reply
by aqw8326 / August 8, 2006 6:32 AM PDT

In 99 when my $1200. HP with 2GB hard drive was of no more use, I built the one I have now.
While I don't understand lots of what goes on within the prograns, OS and CPU, I am handy with tools.
I am going to MOD my PC, mini tower, paint it Amaron Blue, with flame cut outs on both sides, air vent on top, above power supply, and use blue and white round cables, Antec 3 speed, LED tricolor 80mm fans for cooling. add a dvd burner.
I play citybuilding games, and I am preparing for the release of Ceaser IV next month.

I'll do the same for the kid, but in the color she wants, though she really wants a laptop, havn't figured how to do that yet.
So, your advise was most helpfull. Thank you again.
Ann

Collapse -
RE: Couldn't reply to your message ....so....
by VAPCMD / August 8, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

All I've got to say (again) is VERY COOL...by all means let us know when's that new PC takes it's first breath. We'll 'Keep the lights on for ya'...heh heh.

RE: Laptops....believe you can build laptops by picking a generic laptop case and the various components...LCD, HDD, floppy, etc.,. Since most laptops are proprietary, slower because of HDD rotation speed and more expensive than desktops, I've stuck with desktops. Easy to build, maintain and upgrade.

Any questions...drop us a note.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.