PC Applications forum

Ram Drive utilities for windows 7

by spadeskingtx / May 8, 2013 8:23 AM PDT

Just curious. Microsoft does not appear to provide a utility any more to create a ram drive using memory to simulate a disk drive. If I have just overlooked it can someone point me to how to create it.

Otherwise has anyone purchased a product that works well and which you recommend? Or any you would avoid?

Why would your recommend or avoid?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ram Drive utilities for windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ram Drive utilities for windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The closest thing would be Readyboost
by wpgwpg / May 8, 2013 8:30 AM PDT

You can use a flash drive with Readyboost, but because Windows uses virtual memory, you're already using RAM to retain files in memory automatically. You can go to Crucial.com to see what kind of options you have for upgrading your RAM. The old RAM drives were necessary in the old DOS days because it did not use virtual memory.
Good luck.

Collapse -
by spadeskingtx / May 9, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

Appreciate the attempt at assistance.

A flash drive with readyboost in theory speeds up sequential disk access by using the flash drive to store data from the hard drive which windows anticipates might be needed next. That is totally differenct from a ram drive. While a ram drive can be configured to provide a readyboost function it has many additional uses.

Virtual memory is not relevant to this discussion. Virtual memory is not windows using ram to retain files in memory. Just the opposite. When you begin to run low on ram and are at risk of running out windows uses the paging file stored on disk to simulate ram. Data from memory not used recently is moved to the paging file and deleted from ram thus freeing ram for other purposes. As it is needed it is paged in to ram and thus the term paging file.

Using ram to create a ram disk lowers the amount of free memory increasing the chances that the paging to virtual memory will be needed. Performance is thus harmed. But otherwise has no relationship to what a ram disk is or what it can be used for.

I used ram drives in the old dos days quite often. It had nothing at the time to do with virtual memory and whether it existed or not. Specifically what I used it most often in the old dos days was for software that made frequent changes to disk files. I created the ram drive at bootup. Then I copied those data files from my hard drive to the ram drive thus creating a super fast reads and writes to those files. I risked losing the changes if the power died but I could just rerun. When I was finished crunching the data I issued the command to copy the files from the ram disk to the permanent disk storage.

Ram drives or ramdisks, whichever term one prefers, fell out of favor as data files became larger than what would fit on the relatively small ram drives. Windows 32 bit had limited ram it could use. That meant creating a ram drive of any size left you with insufficient memory for the system.

But now that windows is 64 bit that memory cutoff is blown away. Desktop motherboards are now available which can handle 128 G of ram. That means a substantial size ram drive can be created without leaving the system starved. Now that I have that flexibility back would like to once again take advantage of all the things one can do with a ram drive.

The question though is what is the most reliable software for providing that ram drive functionality on windows 7 professional.

Collapse -
Re: RAM drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 10, 2013 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

One of the first google hits for WINDOWS 7 RAM DRIVE is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAM_drive_software listing some programs you can use. You'll find the other hits to be useful also.

But I doubt if studying that info will learn you much about the relative reliability of the different programs you can use. So I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research to answer your question.

Collapse -
Thanks for letting me know I can do research
by spadeskingtx / May 11, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAM drive

Appreciate you letting me know I can do research to answer my question. Did not realize that was possible.

Hmmm, what might I do to research? I could seek out and inquire of experiences others have had with various programs, good, bad, or otherwise. Where might I do that? Where might I find techie people? Maybe on some technology based forums? But where will I find technical based forums where knowledgeable techie types might hang out. Hmmm, I have heard cnet is a site frequented by techie types. And look they have a forum. Maybe I will post there and see if anyone is interested in sharing their experience.

Ok, did not think I would have to explain I have already googled this. I am not stupid.

You doubt I will learn much from studying things like that wikipedia page. I will confirm. I learned nothing about the reliability of the various options. I found lots of links to various software offerings I have never heard of or know any friends who have tried. That is why I reached out here.

To be honest it gets a little old the way some people run around answering every question anyone answers with "you can google that" as if they assume the person has never heard of internet searching. If you have nothing positive to offer just ignore the question. It may make you feel superior to offer up the condescending statement informing the person they can use google. And even if it did make me feel like you were somehow smarter it is not helpful at all.

Do my own research? Posting on this forum is one of the many methods I am using to do just that.

Collapse -
Re: RAM drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 7:52 AM PDT

Sorry to have misunderstood your question.

Somehow, I don't think many of our members have experience with any of these programs, let alone more than one.To answer the question about "most reliable" it surely helps to have experience with more than one so you can compare them.
So I doubt if you'll get the answer you're looking for here.

Indeed, I didn't express myself right when I said "research". I meant "experiment", not "study of literature". Sorry for that mistake also. So my recommendation: try all and choose the one you prefer, be it for reliability or for ease of use or for price. And please inform us of your findings, so our other members can learn about it. That's what these forums are for: helping and being helped.

Finally, let me ask you why you think that any of the programs you already found would be unreliable.

Collapse -
seeking advice from experienced people
by spadeskingtx / May 11, 2013 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAM drive

I suppose I could go out and buy a copy of every single product and try them all. But that means if I say buy 5 different ones and settle on one the money spent on the other 4 is tossed down the drain. Perhaps Mark Cuban could do that but I try to be a little more efficient with spending. It would make sense to do that if I were say consumer reports or a magazine or some other organization that had a testing lab and would recoup their money from subscriptions or memberships.

One posts on a forum to avoid having to purchase one of everything. True, nobody is likely to be able to say I have tried them all and this is best. But if anyone has tried any of them then their sharing that experience would be helpful and appreciated.

When I bought my car I did not go out and buy a car from ford, from chevrolet, buick, nissan, mazda, etc, keep the one that worked best and throw the rest away. Why do that with software? I examined all the literature I could find about the various cars and then sought out friends and gathered their opinions on the cars they drove. Nobody could tell me from experience what was the best. But the guy who owned a mustang was able to share his experience with mustangs. The friend who owned a Vibe shared what she liked about that car. The explorer owner shared their experience. And I made an educated decision from there.

Now relating that to my current inquiry. If I post on this and several other forums and several people across those forums respond with acme ramdisk is one I tried and worked flawlessly then I have confidence that might be a good use of my money. If several people across those forums post and say I tried acme ramdisk and it corrupted my system then I likely cross that off my list of programs to try.

In other words I know how to do internet searches. I know how to experiment. I know since I live in a free society I could buy one of everything, experiment and try them all. I have no reason to suspect any of the available options is unreliable. I have no reason to believe any is more likely to be reliable. Thus I go out and try to locate people who may have tried any of the options out there and are willing to share their experience.

Collapse -
I hear you
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 9:00 AM PDT

But since Windows caches so much I never found a RAM drive to be too useful today.

My advice is to ignore it and just put a pot load or RAM and let Windows do it's thing.

Collapse -
Respect your opinion
by spadeskingtx / May 11, 2013 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I hear you

I respect your opinion that a ramdrive is not needed. That does not help me though with my goal of identifying the best ram drive solution. Because this computer is not being built for anybody's use other than mine. And for what I will be doing a ramdrive will be very useful.

I am not wanting to debate whether it is a good idea. I know it is for my purposes.

If someone asked you what is the best pickup truck out there. Would you respond well pickups are not really needed these days. Just get an SUV. That is all I think anyone needs.

So not saying your advice is bad or does not apply to some people out there. But it does not fit this thread topic. I am not looking to debate the merits of the idea or the value of internet searches or whatever.
I am just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. To try and return this to my original question let me repeat it.

Has anyone purchased a product that works well and which you recommend? Or any you would avoid?
If anyone has something relevant please share.

Collapse -
With that out of the way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Respect your opinion

ALL ram drives I used in decades were fine. I never tried more than one because the first one worked so I never replaced it. I suspect this is why no one is telling you that DeepRAM outperforms RamCram.

Why not find an open source one and try it?

Collapse -
Why not share the one you know?
by spadeskingtx / May 12, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

So you say ... I never tried more than one because the first one worked

So if that one you tried works fine with windows 7 and worked so well you saw no reason to try anything else... Why not just say what that one was? That would be helpful.

I am not asking anyone to tell me one works better than another. I asked about ramdrives for windows 7. And I simply asked if anyone had experience with any good or bad and if so could they share their experience. And all I have gotten in response is people hassling me. I do not understand why some people troll user forums just to hassle people asking simple questions.

If you cannot answer the question just don't respond. If you do not want to be helpful then don't be. Go to a movie or something. What pleasure do you get from just hassling the people who ask questions?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 12:50 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.