Computer Help forum

General discussion

ram drive

by veilreaper88 / April 2, 2012 1:36 PM PDT

hello. i have been looking up info on ram drives. some people say it is worth setting up. other people say that it doesn't help all that much. is it worth setting up a ram drive? and if so, is it best to just put a program or 2 on it, such as your internet program like google chrome to speed it up? or is it better to put your page file on it? i plan on using my system to game so i don't know if that would change the response any. thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ram drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ram drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is one old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: ram drive

Can we skip the old discussion and head for what folk found?

Creating a RAM DRIVE for temp or swap is counterproductive since we steal that RAM from the OS that does use it to cache apps and more. And the OS uses a variable allocation method so RAM is returned from the cache when needed and when there is unused RAM it can be added to the CACHE.

Be sure to read the few last decades of discussion about this. It appears you are just starting to discuss this and I don't want to upset you but.... "Don't do it man!"
Bob

Collapse -
When you really think about it
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2012 9:48 PM PDT

When you really think about it, RAM drives are generally pretty pointless. The RAM has to come from somewhere, it's not like you can just magically make more by doing this. So how would it be different running a program from a RAM drive as opposed to just the regular way? You also clearly didn't think things through if you're thinking you can install a program into a RAM drive. So like Bob hinted at, maybe you should spend some time reading the past decade or two worth of discussion on this topic, and you'll see why it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Collapse -
lol
by veilreaper88 / April 3, 2012 12:57 AM PDT

i appreciate the comments but i am not an idiot. i have read plenty about ram drives. i was asking about your opinion. you gave them. there was no need for snide comments. i apologize for my poor use of English. i did not mean literally installing a program on the ram drive. what i meant was i saw some people use the cache for their internet program and had it installed on the ram drive. i asked if it was a good idea to use a ram drive. i was looking for peoples opinion on here. i have read a lot. and like i said. some said yes. some said no. thank you for your opinions

Collapse -
SOS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: lol

If you read the prior discussions, then why did you ask? We would be covering the same tired ground.

What's new? What changed? But most important, why didn't you do it and make your own findings?
Bob

Collapse -
help
by veilreaper88 / April 3, 2012 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: SOS

you can find the same number of people that use and support them that are against them. at least from my limited findings since i am just starting out making computers. i wanted the opinion of people on here because they are knowledgeable. i don't have a great system. i was on a budget. so i am looking to try and make the best out of a budget system. i heard about ram drives. i have looked up ram drives on many different forums and from different years, all the way back when people were talking about it in windows 98 and through windows 7. there are still varied opinions. i wanted to ask people that know what they are talking about.

Collapse -
I've used them but with today's OS's
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: help

I no longer do this.

I would if I was setting some DOS app running on DOS, but I think the answer is, use the tools that make it easy for you.

Back to you, why would you be interested in anyone's opinion? That is, wouldn't you test this and be able to decide based on your tests?

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by veilreaper88 / April 3, 2012 1:28 AM PDT

thanks for the response. and as for me, i am still new computers. i want to make my computer fast but i also know that quick fixes for speed can tend to be catastrophic. obviously ram drives are not catastrophic because people use them, but i am still a bit paranoid as to making changes like that without having some opinion or know what it is going to do to my system. i don't have money for repairs if i do something to put too much voltage on something or to take too much power by overclocking or other things like that.

Collapse -
A RAM drive would not be catastrophic. Unless.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

The only possible effect I can think of is a non-booting OS or trashed HDD contents. But every new PC owner knows or learns we only lose what we didn't backup.

Try this. Post a new post and ask if folk think your combination of protection is causing some slowdowns. Read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-510824.html where we pop the hood and found what was causing the request to overclock.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by veilreaper88 / April 3, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

thanks for the help. i appreciate the effects it could have on my comp. everything is backed up. i may be new to comps but i do know the basics. and thats pretty much prereq for 101 lol. thanks again.

Collapse -
Here's an older discussion. There are many more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 3:49 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.