Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

r.kill

by Amos16 / November 24, 2012 11:18 PM PST

Hi - I had been using r.kill some years ago at the recommendation of Cnet moderators, to be quite sure I did not have any malware. But last week suddenly AVG alerted me to having a Trojan on three r.kill entries. They were disposed of by the program. But then the owner of my secondary computer (a netbook) opened hers and used Super to scan hers. Again r.kill was listed there as harboring a Trojan, on an inactive partition having an XP section called XP.old. This, I feel, should be brought to your attention.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: r.kill
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: r.kill
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RKILL does some things that could trigger a false positive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2012 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: r.kill

And sure enough it does trip many antivirus scanners. Sorry but to kill processes and more, it may get classified as a trojan. Perils of being a power tool.

The one thing however is to get it from the source and not just anywhere on the net.
Bob

Collapse -
RKILL
by Amos16 / November 29, 2012 5:32 PM PST

Thanks, Bob. I got it from CNet the last time. Does your reply mean that I should reinstall it now, getting it again from CNet and if the warning persists - just ignore it? - Amos.

Collapse -
"install"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: RKILL

Sorry but rkill here is a download and does not need installing. Sorry to cut this so finely but when it comes to malware I have to use the sharp knives.
Bob

Collapse -
FYI: According to Rkill's Developer..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: r.kill

As an added note..

According to Rkill's developer (Grinler), he writes in the first post of the 45 page thread titled "RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program " :

'Rkill is currently detected as malware by 3 anti-virus companies. I have submitted the tool to them so that they can remove the listing. Unfortunately, though, false positives occasionally happen. I assure you that there is nothing malicious in Rkill and it only performs the tasks described above.

A scan from virustotal.com as of 08/22/12 shows the following AV vendors flagging RKill with false positives

Comodo: UnclassifiedMalware 20120822
Kaspersky : HEUR:Backdoor.Win64.Generic 20120822
TrendMicro-HouseCall : TROJ_GEN.F47V0821 20120822

Also at least SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes may target Rkill when you rename it to a reserved name like iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe, etc. This is because they have definitions in place that throws a flag when these reserved filenames are used outside their normal path.

If you see these alerts when running Rkill, you can safely ignore the warnings and continue to allow the program to run.
'

At the bottom of the post, you will find a list of changes for each new version. ( Also: Rkill Download Center )

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.