Mac OS forum

Rant

QuickTime MPG-2 Playback Component

by birdy1928 / March 15, 2013 12:07 PM PDT

Purchased this some time back and every time I made an upgrade, it disappeared off the dock and also Applications.

The Apple store re-installed it for me promptly because I had a purchase order number as well as a case number.

After upgrading from one cat to another (I think it was Snow Leopard), it was lost again. This time the Apple people had deleted the records of my original purchase and subsequent re-installation and would not recognize the numbers I supplied as proof and refused to issue a new component.

Without that applet I cannot make iMovies from videos taken with my Panasonic camcorder and had to dust off an older tape-based one.

Rather than sending another 20 bucks to Foxconn in China I will do my future editing on my wife's Windows7 machine or even the old WinXP in the closet. Upgrade to the next feline is out of the question.

My next computer will NOT be an Apple.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: QuickTime MPG-2 Playback Component
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: QuickTime MPG-2 Playback Component
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And on Windows you pay too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 2:05 PM PDT

The MPEGLA.COM is at the root of all this. MPEG-2 is not free so your ire is understood but a little misplaced.
Bob

Collapse -
QT MPEG-2 Component
by birdy1928 / March 15, 2013 2:25 PM PDT

I thought I made it clear that I paid 20 bucks for it and was given a code to register the download. When they still had the sales record, they unlocked it while I was on the phone.

Collapse -
having lost it once before,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: QT MPEG-2 Component

one wonders why you would not have made a copy of it and stored it on a CD somewhere.

After losing it during one upgrade, why did you not take that precaution before doing another upgrade.

I can understand your, perhaps misdirected, ire with Apple and the people you spoke with, but you do share some of the responsibility for the loss of this component.
Why would you expect Apple to safeguard your purchase records in perpetuity, when you do not appear to accept any responsibility for the safeguarding of your data files?

If you visit these forums often, you will notice the phrase "we only lose what we don't backup" and in your case you have a built in system that will backup your machine constantly.

You do backup, I presume/

Personally, I would get back on the phone with Apple, armed with the original email for the purchase and keep on at them, insisting that they escalate the problem, until you get someone who will replace the component for you.

P

Collapse -
MPEG-2 Component
by birdy1928 / March 16, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

It was backed up to an external dedicated TimeMachine 500 gigger HDD and the one on the Mac itself.
During an upgrade it was lost on both although the TM is showing a year's updates along the side but the hash marked dates are grayed out. Only dates AFTER I did a restore in November 2012 can be recalled by passing the mouse over them. In other words, the external drive is working.

Another external drive, same brand and size, has all my photos and movies. None was lost in the crash. Don't know how to send you a screen print to illustrate. I had submitted the necessary documentation of the original purchase and subsequent correspondence to Apple but they couldn't verify the purchase.

The good news is that I had sent a 20-year old manuscript to a friend who returned it to me yesterday. Have already burnt it to two separate disks. Am OK with the loss of everything else.

Thanks!

Collapse -
I was reading a post on another site
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: MPEG-2 Component

where the poster had exactly the same problem as you, and the same circumstances.

He finally got Apple to replace the missing component, but it was a struggle.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.