Mac Desktops

Rant

QuickTime MPEG Component

by birdy1928 / February 22, 2013 9:34 AM PST

I purchased this from the Apple Store to use for converting videos from a Panasonic D-300 digicam's mini RAM disc. That was about 3 years ago. During an upgrade of my iMac OS it got lost but was replaced promptly.

When upgrading to Snow Leopard last year I had a crash and it got lost again. This time the Apple gurus told me they don't keep records that far back and the original purchase order had been stricken.

Despite my giving them dates and case numbers, in addition to the order number, they have refused an issue of an item that I purchased and have records for.

I have since stopped buying anything from them since they can't be trusted.

I wonder how many of us Apple-ites have had similar experiences and how Steve would react hearing this lack of trust by his staff to the Apple loyalists.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: QuickTime MPEG Component
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: QuickTime MPEG Component
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have to point out something that we
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2013 11:15 PM PST

hear people, especially Mods, saying across these forums;

We only lose what we don't backup!

Having lost this QuickTIme MPEG Component once, one would have thought that you would have burned that little sucker to a CD and kept it handy, just in case something else happened, like a hard drive crash for instance.

Then as you moved along and upgraded your Machine/Software you arrived at Leopard. Apparently still without any form of backup, despite the advent of Time Machine in Leopard.

While it is annoying that you could not convince anyone at Apple to re-issue you a copy of the missing file, you shouldn't be laying all the blame on Apple for your continued lack of backup.

JMO

P

Collapse -
QT MPEG-2 component
by birdy1928 / February 23, 2013 2:53 AM PST

Thanks for replying. I have already reported in this forum that on the day of updating to Snow Leopard all files saved on an external drive, dedicated to Time Machine, failed. Recordings for 18 months PRIOR to the upgrade are not accessible although the individual dates are grayed out and will not light up when passing the cursor over them.

I have already checked every bit of literature on the workings of Time Machine I could find. I followed instructions on how to access lost files. None has helped. The fact remains that TM on the external drive DID at one time do its job as evidenced by the grayed-out dates and the total count of 180GB of content WITHOUT any video files or photos for which I have a second dedicated drive.

The iMac's monitor indicates that those files ARE in the TM according to the GB count. All my files created AFTER the crash are being saved and are available.

I am guilty of not burning a disk since I trusted the TM to do what it's supposed to do.

Since my Windows PC does not require this QT component and offers all manner of free converters, am getting around the Apple failure which would have rendered the RAM-based video camera useless.

Collapse -
A litte too much trust in TM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: QT MPEG-2 component

OK, you have TM but from what I read I fear you have too much trust in that. And where is the backup to TM?
Bob

Collapse -
QT MPEG-2 Component
by birdy1928 / February 23, 2013 6:36 AM PST

Bob, your question illuminates the problem: Nobody ever understood that I have the Time Machine on an external 500 GB drive and it recorded everything as advertised for about 16 months. I know that because I checked regularly to make sure it was functioning before I purchased and installed a second external drive just for photos and movies because of their considerable file size.

When I upgraded to Snow Leopard I had difficulties and had to reinstall the original Leopard which did not go smoothly. When it was finally updated I looked for a 300 page edited manuscript which I had saved to "Desktop", it was gone.

I opened Time Machine and the light on the external drive case told me it was reading. But when I scrolled to a week BEFORE that upgrade, faded, barely readable dates covered several adjoining screens back to the day I installed it in June 2011. Only the dates AFTER (or below...) the installation of Snow Leopard appear highlighted when touched with the cursor and can be accessed.

I even thought of taking the drive to somebody with a Mac but living in the boonies makes that impossible since everybody "drives" PC and I doubt that another machine would recognize the drive.

When I use the Mac's monitoring app or feature, it shows the total used and free space on the Mac HDD, external 1 and external 2. I have saved about 5 GB on external 1 since installing the new OS but it shows up with 170 GB - over a year's worth of auto-recording done with OS 10.5. i.e., the part that I cannot access and which is most valuable to me.

I am no longer dealing with Apple and have brought this up here as a "rant" because the Apple savants should not put the burden of proof on a buyer who kept better records than they did. I'll take my Snow Leopard and its cage to the grave rather than paying another saw buck to underwrite their bottom line.

Collapse -
By Jove, I think you get it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2013 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: QT MPEG-2 Component

Backup is a layered thing. The onion has layers and well, if folk rely on ONE backup copy, they learn some day that it's as ONE backup copy then when the original is gone and something is missing in the ONE and only backup, folk get a little upset.

I hear you,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.